Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time for a new clutch
F1SJL

posted on 29/11/13 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Time for a new clutch

Hi all,

I've been putting this off for a while now thinking there was another issue.

Car selects gears lovely when not running but when running and warm it progressively becomes worse eventually not engaging at all at speed. You can shift without clutch to get you home but as we all know this is not great.

I've shimmed out the clutch cable by around 8mm thinking it wasn't pulling the fork enough and was a bit too long. This worked for a couple of runs but again the above happened.

Another shim makes it slip so a new clutch seems to be the only way.

Nice little job for the winter in a cold garage! just pissed it spoilt my run out today in my only day off this week!

Also found a pool of gearbox oil on the garage floor.

Not a great day

Any recommendations on a clutch.

Pinto engine and type 9 box, standard 2.0 stuff. But I will be hillcliming next year.

[Edited on 29/11/13 by F1SJL]

bill132hotrod

posted on 29/11/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch

Hi ya
I had a similar problem a couple of years back, I went to north weald for a run what you brung.
Anyway having travelled up there and gone through the process of signing on and then waiting for another (2) hrs before my first run.
I pulled forward to do the prerun burnout, and guess what??????? yep I ripped the centre right out of the clutch.
So the moral of the story is now I run a standard cover with a paddle clutch centre plate, no problems now no matter how aggressive I am with it.(cheaper than the full monte, but better than a standard clutch.
Hope this helps.

PERSEVERANCE is the word of the week. Stick with it the results are SWEET.

F1SJL

posted on 29/11/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bill132hotrod
Hi ya
I had a similar problem a couple of years back, I went to north weald for a run what you brung.
Anyway having travelled up there and gone through the process of signing on and then waiting for another (2) hrs before my first run.
I pulled forward to do the prerun burnout, and guess what??????? yep I ripped the centre right out of the clutch.
So the moral of the story is now I run a standard cover with a paddle clutch centre plate, no problems now no matter how aggressive I am with it.(cheaper than the full monte, but better than a standard clutch.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info

I'll look into that. I'm sure the standard clutch is ok in a big numb sierra but maybe not so strong for the locost.

I'm sure I was told there was a custom clutch maker in Leeds.

perksy

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
This thread brings back memories

This is a standard pinto clutch after a trip to Curborough and bits of it were embedded in the bellhousing
It was replaced with a new one from Helix and has been fine since (standard configuration) and has had a fair bit of abuse

F1SJL

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
This thread brings back memories

This is a standard pinto clutch after a trip to Curborough and bits of it were embedded in the bellhousing
It was replaced with a new one from Helix and has been fine since (standard configuration) and has had a fair bit of abuse

Wow!

Bet that went with a bang!

It's a real tw*t when it happens when your a way out. I was lucky today I got home just as the hard shifting occurred. Once I'd only just pulled into the drive when the cable snapped! Not had much luck so far with the clutch

Gonna strip it over the weekend and decide which way to go. Another standard configuration, Kevlar or paddle.

perksy

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm some folks like Paddle clutches and others can't get on with them
Just my 2p but if you are going to use it on the road and not just for competition it might be worth looking at a 'heavy duty' standard configuration (decent quality, Helix or similar)

F1SJL

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Hmmm some folks like Paddle clutches and others can't get on with them
Just my 2p but if you are going to use it on the road and not just for competition it might be worth looking at a 'heavy duty' standard configuration (decent quality, Helix or similar)

I would think 50/50 road and race. Don't get out much not the road due to work and weather but the hillclimb season is obviously not every weekend.

I think I'll lean more towards the heavy duty fast road variant.

big-vee-twin

posted on 30/11/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
AP heavy duty plate for type 9 from Burton Power is a good choice.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Andy D

posted on 30/11/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Car selects gears lovely when not running but when running and warm it progressively becomes worse eventually not engaging at all at speed. You can shift without clutch to get you home but as we all know this is not great.

I had those symptoms earlier this year, tried adjusting the clutch cable etc, it turned out to be a dried up and disintergrating spigot bearing.

britishtrident

posted on 30/11/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

I had those symptoms earlier this year, tried adjusting the clutch cable etc, it turned out to be a dried up and disintergrating spigot bearing.

Yes, or a needle roller bearing in the gearbox.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 30/11/13 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Reading the original post again very carefully it points to gearbox issue rather than a clutch issue.
First thing to investigate is the geabox oil level, if the oil level is very low the needle roller bearings seize
After that as already mention the clutch spigot bearing could be seized or might have been left out or damaged during mating to the gearbox.

[/I]

F1SJL

posted on 30/11/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Got a contact at AP racing so might give their fast road and track a go.

Anyone running one at the moment.

F1SJL

posted on 2/12/13 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Reading the original post again very carefully it points to gearbox issue rather than a clutch issue.
First thing to investigate is the geabox oil level, if the oil level is very low the needle roller bearings seize
After that as already mention the clutch spigot bearing could be seized or might have been left out or damaged during mating to the gearbox.

Would it still point at gearbox if I was to say that I've shimmed the cable with some washers, about 8mm and I can select gears. Bite was about a third of the pedal but after 50 miles or so Bite is right at the bottom.

Thanks for your advice so far

[Edited on 2/12/13 by F1SJL]

Grimsdale

posted on 3/12/13 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
have you tried a new cable? if the outer is shagged it can give the symptoms described.
britishtrident

posted on 3/12/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Try jacking a rear wheel off the deck put the car in neutral with hand brake off and try turning the rear wheel by hand, if you feel excessive ressistance that isn't coming from the brakes it points to an internal gearbox problem.

If you don't feel excessive resistance it could still be a gearbox problem but to test you would need to remove the gearbox and check by turning the shafts in each gear.

[Edited on 3/12/13 by britishtrident]

[/I]

daveb666

posted on 3/12/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
This place is awesome for clutches and very very cheap, just take your old one. Get clutches for all my cars there; they re-line them themselves and do 'uprated' covers and plates.

Local to you as well.

awful website but top company.

http://www.calderclutch.co.uk/

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.