Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pit falls of a 1990 build
PeterV

posted on 11/12/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Pit falls of a 1990 build

OK here is a question.
What are going to be the issues with Mr. IVA and a 1990's kit restoration and build?
No problem doing a complete rebuild of a classic, but something that has never been built but yet has kin that are on the road.... mmmmm......

For some fun I'm going to build / rebuild / start all over again a 1990's Carlton Carrera GT.
Seat position and seat belts is one that stands out.
Add radius problems almost everywhere.
But what else can you wonderful gurus of the build think of?

pmc_3

posted on 12/12/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Has the kit already been on the road? If it's already got a legitimate v5 its just a case of an MOT at the end of the rebuild
Macbeast

posted on 12/12/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
What part of " but something that has never been built but .... " don't you understand ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

PeterV

posted on 12/12/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
No shes never been near a road. Has only ever seen back yards and front driveways
It's just about a rolling chassis with butchered bodywork. Actuall butchered everything but its getting better.
Chassis has been derusted repaired and painted.
Rear atlas axle is now sorted new bushes, shocks, springs and upgraded to disc brakes, 5 stud for 17" wheels.
Starting to sort out rear tailgate and rear bodywork.
Long long way to go

pmc_3

posted on 12/12/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
What part of " but something that has never been built but .... " don't you understand ?

That will teach me to reply when I'm half asleep!

Macbeast

posted on 12/12/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess that, since you don't have a donor V5 you will probably have to meet the " as new " IVA regulations regarding eg emissions etc. rather han the relaxed age-related specifications

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

iank

posted on 12/12/13 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I would guess that, since you don't have a donor V5 you will probably have to meet the " as new " IVA regulations regarding eg emissions etc. rather han the relaxed age-related specifications

Not if it has a Ford engine with a number that can identify the manufacture date.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

PeterV

posted on 12/12/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
No engine right now although there is a nice one on a pallet in my driveway. Smog test shouldn't be an issue as this pump is a SAAB 2.0 turbo with CAT as per my WLR.

"IVA" Yep that's what I was thinking, just wondering if there was anything scary to worry about with such an old kit?

mcerd1

posted on 12/12/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
as long as its meets the requirements of the IVA manual it'll be fine

sharp edges and positions of things like lights and seatbelts could issues
so just print off the latest issue of the manual (free download from VOSA) you can check and adjust it as required as you build the car and it'll be fine

I'd check the light positions first as there might not be much you can do to adjust them without affecting the look of the car...

-

mookaloid

posted on 12/12/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
As above /\/\/\/\ light positions - also you will need to do do wipers and heater/demisting etc as it is a hardtop.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

PeterV

posted on 12/12/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, hadn't thought of light positions. with a rough check I think I can get away with it but will have to fit rear fogs. None to be seen on this model!

Heater and wipers ouch! Me had been thinking about that with some trembles and head pains I guess I need to study those regs over the coming months!

Anything else? It's all sounding too good to be true

mcerd1

posted on 12/12/13 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ you'll also need a reversing light to go with that fog light

a lot of the rest will depend on where you source the bits....

the seat and seatbelt positioning could need a bit of fiddling to get right (for visibility, strenght and anchor points)

mirror sizes and visibility can be an issue (depends what you've got with the kit)

it needs 'protective steering' - a collapsible column from a suitable donor will tick that box though

you need a vin plate and vin number stamped in the chassis in the right places with the right size font etc...

things like heaters and wipers are easily sorted with generic setups if you've not got a donor one that will fit (classic mini's and landrovers have wiper systems that are easy to adapt - basically the same as the lucas aftermarket ones you get from all the kit suppliers )

-

PeterV

posted on 12/12/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra column to replace this Cortina thing then.
VIN plate will have to be dreamt up as there is nothing at present.
Mirrors are a known, my WLR had a fail on these and needed a serious raising and bending to sort it.
Reversing lights are in the original cluster which is handy.
Seats and belts will have to sourced from someplace that has had IVA passes me thinks.

PeterV

posted on 12/12/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
As there is no anchor on one side of the sest coz this wss designed as a possible 2+2 or big hatch I guess I'll have to go for a three point harnes?

[Edited on 12/12/13 by PeterV]

mcerd1

posted on 13/12/13 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
^^ 3 point will be fine as long as you fit them right

you can use the inertia reel ones out of a donor car as long as they are in good condition and you can mount them at the correct angles / locations so that they work - basically just mount them the same way as the donor car they come out of

(if you were to fit them at a different angle/orientation they may not work - so best to find donor ones that suit they way you want to mount them)

-

mcerd1

posted on 13/12/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
is this the beast:

http://www.polarityservices.co.uk/carltonownersclub/useful/Sales%20Literature/Carlton%20Carrera%20Sales%20Flyer.jpg

not that bad looking for a 90's kit - sort of like the offspring of a capri and a GT6 :lol:
the right lights and a wee tweak/tidy up here and there and that could make a nice little car

-

PeterV

posted on 13/12/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
is this the beast

Yep that’s the one and yeah I have plans to upgrade the original quite a bit without losing too much of the original looks. It's a bit of a Heinz 57 between a Z280, 964, GT6 with some Esperante touches, all of which I quite like.

Should make a great support car for the WLR especially as it can tow

I’ve set up a build blog here if anyone’s interested
Carrera GT Build

As wifey will be driving it she's gone for this colour.....

.....me wanted black but hey ho out voted by wif & sprog. But a happy family helps with funding

mcerd1

posted on 13/12/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
that's not a mile away from the mk1 focus RS which is a very nice colour

-

PeterV

posted on 13/12/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
that's not a mile away from the mk1 focus RS which is a very nice colour

Tiz just a tad darker but very close to that. Can't complain to much with thier final choice (Bagpuss pink was getting very scray!!! )

sjmatthews

posted on 13/12/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
'E' marked windscreen?

I'll be in the garage dear!

PeterV

posted on 13/12/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't all the glass have to be E marked?
James

posted on 13/12/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Really like that!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

PeterV

posted on 27/4/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
A quick update on the project and repost of the car pic (coz the website moved)

Most of the work so far has been restoration work on the old chassis and running gear. Suspension and steering refurbishment etc. Add in the upgrades from 4 stud rear axel to 5 stud with the manufacture of wheel spacers. Then the conversion from drum backs to disc brakes at the back, which I had to be custom manufactured as I wanted 5 stud. Both the refurbishment and upgrades to the project have all been great fun but have added loads of time to the build.

4 to 5 stud conversion

Disc Brake Upgrade

All that work and only this to show for it

Slimy38

posted on 27/4/14 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterV

Should make a great support car for the WLR especially as it can tow

Make sure you check the IVA regs for towing capabilities, I vaguely remember a kit car magazine talking about the changes and how they make towbars on kit cars virtually impossible to get approved.

PeterV

posted on 27/4/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Shall not even attempt to get an IVA with towing setup. Will do that job once everything else is set up, legal and well sorted. As with the WLR, what passed the IVA was a long way from what became a safe, reliable and comfortable car 18 months later. Can't see this one being any diffrent
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.