Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec camshaft choice
black.viper

posted on 11/4/14 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec camshaft choice

Hi,

I finished my Pinto to Duratec swap and now I´m thinking how I could reach 200+Hp. I don´t have a big buget... due this I don´t wont change internal like pistons, rods and other. I would like use my Tiger for everyday ...but 200Hp is my aim.

My specification:
CJBA Duratec engine with ARP bolts, heavy duty con rod bearing, 3,7kg flywheel, flow 4-2-1 exhaust
Microsquirt ignition with GSXR 1000 injection ITB
power 187HP/6500 torque 217Nm/5500

After a few day searching on google I made decision that best choice for me is D-Tec10 camshaft from KenCam, which is with powerpulley for 518GBP

D-TEC10 Camshaft for 438GBP
Applications Sports ' R '
Power Band 2500-7500
Cam Lift(mm) 10.46mm Inlet/Exhaust
Valve Lift(mm) 10.21mm Inlet/Exhaust
Duration 260 Deg Inlet/Exhaust

You can use it without extra cost for new retainers and spring and without work on pistons.

And now question. Does anyone have any experience with US camshafts Crower?
Performance level - Stage 1 - Street use with emphasis on bottom end and mid range power. Works with stock springs up to factory rev limiter. INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 220°/214° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .374”/.363” LSA: 114° RPM: Idle to 7000 Redline: 7500

or hoter

Performance level 4 - Stage 2 - 3/4 Race - Designed for street/strip applications in normally aspirated engines. Requires spring/retainer kit #84170. INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 228°/220° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .389”/.373” LSA: 112° RPM: 1000 to 7800 Redline: 8300

Price is bargain... 368$ and I could buy it without tax penalty.

What is your decision about this cams a what is your recommendation.

I couldn´t found any dyno results about US camshaft but I found a some dynoplots from DTec10, Raceco and I compare it with high flow head (Focus 08+) Se7ensport result - All specifications are comparable.

Im building Tiger Cat E1 Duratec engine

FuryRebuild

posted on 11/4/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to think about it, I have a pair of unused, still in box stage 1 cams from SBD. You can fit them without needing pocketed pistons. They one with the two pulleys as well. they're brand new and you can have them for 20% off retail. I am due to return them (change of plan) and there's a 20% restocking fee with Kent cams. You may as well benefit from that.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Mr C

posted on 11/4/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Check out Newman cams as well great serbice and good price, sometimes on the bay for a small saving

http://www.newman-cams.com/

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Scuzzle

posted on 11/4/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
A pair of PH3 Newman cams are a good bit cheaper than the Kents and will do the job.

You might even get away with PH4's I have a silvertop and went for PH2's due to not wishing to overcam the car but the PH3's would have been better as I've seen them fitted to other cars and they are still very streetable.

[Edited on 11/4/14 by Scuzzle]

black.viper

posted on 11/4/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
Check out Newman cams as well great serbice and good price, sometimes on the bay for a small saving

http://www.newman-cams.com/

Thank you for tip. Yes I now them... but I prefer KentCam becouse they have a little bit longer duration 260 Deg Inlet/Exhaust (Newman 258/258) and most importantly have a higher lift 10.46mm/10.21 Inlet/Exhaust (Newman 9.44 inlet/exhaust)

but the question is whether it is worth the cams from GB tuners (KentsCam, SBDV, Cosworth, Pipers, Newman etc.) for double the price - against cheaper US tuners like Crane, Crower, OBX

Crower have 268 / 252 int/exh duration and 9,5 mm / 9,22mm lift
OBX have 256 / 256 duration and 9,65 / 9,65 lift

It´s a similar to Newman cam, but for a half price! Worth the money 1 mm extra lift at KenCam? Or the same properties like a Newman cams but for a double price... or the differences are so small that it is best to choose the cheapest option?

black.viper

posted on 11/4/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
A pair of PH3 Newman cams are a good bit cheaper than the Kents and will do the job.

You might even get away with PH4's I have a silvertop and went for PH2's due to not wishing to overcam the car but the PH3's would have been better as I've seen them fitted to other cars and they are still very streetable.

Thanks. Is possible use PH3 and PH2 without work on pistons (duration and longer stroke have thresholds and I would not bend the valves on the piston) and is possible use std springs and retainers?

PH3 with 280 duration and 10.41 lift looks like much more better than D-Tec10 from KentCam... do you have any info about HP gain PH3 agains PH2 on std duratec engine without modification? The power range 2750 - 7250 is very useful for me :-) But price is same like KentCam - 438GB and PH3 is for 432GBP :-) ...better is only duration

Thank you very much for tip.

black.viper

posted on 11/4/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
If you want to think about it, I have a pair of unused, still in box stage 1 cams from SBD. You can fit them without needing pocketed pistons. They one with the two pulleys as well. they're brand new and you can have them for 20% off retail. I am due to return them (change of plan) and there's a 20% restocking fee with Kent cams. You may as well benefit from that.

thank you for the offer, I'll think about it.

Scuzzle

posted on 11/4/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would be wary about the OBX cams, I bought an OBX oil catch tank and my vernier pulleys are OBX and both are poor quality and that would make me wary of their other products. The Newman and Kent cams have a reputation for being hard wearing. I have heard you get the max gains from the Kent cams but you need a lot of playing around with the cam timing.

I'm not sure about the Duratec but the Zetec is nowhere near valve to piston contact at full lift on a PH 3 Newman cam, my car has the 0.6mm multi shim gasket and a 3 thou head skim instead of the 2mm standard gasket and the bolts slipped on my vernier pulley and it slipped 6 deg off of where it should be and there were no issues.

The Newman cams have a reputation for being hard wearing which is why I went for them plus there are very often group buys from car clubs which sees the price drop to nearer £300 a pair if you can find one to join in with.

You can run PH3 Newmans with no modifications required, they are very driveable as well, not in the slightest bit lumpy.

Canada EH!

posted on 11/4/14 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Crower is a well known name on this side of the pond, drag race, boats, sports cars, mostly US V/8's. They have been in business since the 60's as far as I can recall.
FuryRebuild

posted on 12/4/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black.viper
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

thank you for the offer, I'll think about it.

You're welcome - I'm not in a major rush.

For me, I tend to steer clear of ebay for some performance stuff, especially all the pistons and rods. There's a lot of chinese chaff out there and I don't have the skill to spot real from counterfeit. I'm building up a 250bhp duratec, and want it to rev to 9000 (because I can) and I'd hate to have a dodgy rod let loose and wreck the entire thing. I have a friend who was once shipped rip-off bearings for a £1m piece of factory kit, and the counterfeiters had actually managed to get into the real supply chain. The packaging was excellent.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

black.viper

posted on 12/4/14 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
I would be wary about the OBX cams, I bought an OBX oil catch tank and my vernier pulleys are OBX and both are poor quality and that would make me wary of their other products. The Newman and Kent cams have a reputation for being hard wearing. I have heard you get the max gains from the Kent cams but you need a lot of playing around with the cam timing.

I'm not sure about the Duratec but the Zetec is nowhere near valve to piston contact at full lift on a PH 3 Newman cam, my car has the 0.6mm multi shim gasket and a 3 thou head skim instead of the 2mm standard gasket and the bolts slipped on my vernier pulley and it slipped 6 deg off of where it should be and there were no issues.

The Newman cams have a reputation for being hard wearing which is why I went for them plus there are very often group buys from car clubs which sees the price drop to nearer £300 a pair if you can find one to join in with.

You can run PH3 Newmans with no modifications required, they are very driveable as well, not in the slightest bit lumpy.

Yes, thank you! PH3 Newmans looking very very good, but I couldn´t find any dyno results with duratec engine or a little bit similar C20XE Vauxhall, because I would like compere improvements against DTec10 or Cosworth cam where are dyno results available.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.