Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine clean
Slimy38

posted on 22/5/14 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Engine clean

I want to give my engine a bit of a clean and paint before it goes into the chassis, are there any good tips on how to do it? In a previous life I would have used Gunk, but I get the impression the new 'environmentally friendly' formula is nowhere near as good as before. I've had a quick go with IPA, and while it is reasonably effective I'm guessing I'll need something more to get to the real muck.

It's an MX5 engine (so predominantly alluminium I think?) still attached to the gearbox, and I would prefer to leave things like that. The muck seems to be general grime with a slightly oily undertone. I suspect I'm in for a long labour job, with all the nooks and crannies I'm thinking spray bottle and a toothbrush rather than anything quick.

[Edited on 22/5/14 by Slimy38]

johnemms

posted on 22/5/14 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
While on the chain n pully in the air ..
Put cardboard down..
Put a large drip tray under it..
Nice big brush & paraffin
Compressor on - Blow clean .. Job Done ..

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

Slimy38

posted on 22/5/14 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm, paraffin... old school but I like it!! Will it need any further cleaning if I want to give it a paint? I'm assuming I can't paint on paraffin.
pewe

posted on 22/5/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Some say that Harpic Power Plus toilet cleaner does a good job on ali.
Suggest you try it on a small area first and see how it goes.
Alternatively a mix of petrol and paraffin works well, you can then degrease with Meths (doncha just love the taste?)
Using either method wear protection and avoid naked lights!
Cheers, Pewe10

ReMan

posted on 22/5/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
petrol or parraffin for me to , old school, smelly, dangerous but it works.
Then use a detergent/washing powder and rinse

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Ugg10

posted on 22/5/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting this, very timely, I am about to do the same job with my engine over the next couple of weekends, mine is a bit more oily than yours by the sound of it though.

Agree the hoist/crane to get it at waist hight will help the back and the drip tray/cardboard/blanket under it will keep the mess down.

Cleaned up some throttle bodies last weekend with road grime/oil/carbon on them with driveway oil patch remover + wash off with water, seemed to work well and then went over the top with petrol (in a well ventilated area) to degrease and left to air dry. This will be my first route, if that does not work then I will try the parafin/petrol mix.

Thanks

19sac65

posted on 22/5/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Deisel works well too
rotax78

posted on 22/5/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've used this stuff (swarfega oil & grease remover) worked really well and cheap linky

[Edited on 22/5/14 by rotax78]

Andy S

posted on 22/5/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Morris lubricants Lydian degreaser - excellent stuff, brush well in and pressure wash off.

ste

posted on 22/5/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 engines are iron not ally. I bought some rust de-ox gel and parts cleaner off Mistral http://mistralni.co.uk/

cheap and very effective.

wire brush in a drill to get heavy soiling off, then soak with parts cleaner, a paint brush that has the bristles trimmed to about half an inch long makes light work of it. then jet wash it, then cover with deox gel and leave over night.

then jet wash off again and dry with air then paint asap.

Slimy38

posted on 22/5/14 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
MX5 engines are iron not ally.

Ah, I wondered if that particular wiki entry was correct, thanks. Do you know if the gearbox and bellhousing are aluminium?

ste

posted on 22/5/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
yes they are, the only iron part of the setup is the block. I'm part way trhrough cleaning & painting mine as we speak for final fit.
Slimy38

posted on 22/5/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, thanks. I don't suppose you could post a pic or two when you finish yours? It will give me something to aim for!!
perksy

posted on 22/5/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Parrafin or Fairy power spray
Scuzzle

posted on 22/5/14 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
That Fairy Power Spray is really difficult to get, my local supermarkets don't keep it on their shelves at all which is a shame as it's good stuff.
adithorp

posted on 22/5/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Aldi have/had sonic wheel cleaning brushes in recently. They look like a jumbo electric tooth brush with a selection of brush heads. I did wonder what they'd be like for this sort of stuff.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ugg10

posted on 22/5/14 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rotax78
I've used this stuff (swarfega oil & grease remover) worked really well and cheap linky

[Edited on 22/5/14 by rotax78]

Looks similar to the path cleaner I used.

Slimy38

posted on 22/5/14 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Aldi have/had sonic wheel cleaning brushes in recently. They look like a jumbo electric tooth brush with a selection of brush heads. I did wonder what they'd be like for this sort of stuff.

I did think about those, but I reckon the head would wear away really quickly and with no prospect of spares it would get really useless really quickly. At least a JML equivalent would get spares.

What I have done is order a handheld steam cleaner, one of the other things I was reading suggests steam is very effective. But that was on the assumption the engine was aluminium, I'm not sure water and cast iron is a good combination. I've seen steam cleaned engine bays, and they look awful if the metal is left to rust.

threadbare wallet

posted on 23/5/14 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
For the nooks a cranneys ya cant reach use cola! Let it sit in there for a while and it will clean anything off! I use to use that on bike parts on despatch bikes that got really grubby and always came up like new......still drink to which is worrying

[Edited on 23/5/14 by threadbare wallet]

Very few things are "really" needed.

Ugg10

posted on 23/5/14 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by threadbare wallet
For the nooks a cranneys ya cant reach use cola! Let it sit in there for a while and it will clean anything off! I use to use that on bike parts on despatch bikes that got really grubby and always came up like new......still drink to which is worrying

[Edited on 23/5/14 by threadbare wallet]

That will be the magic that is phosphoric acid, ever done the 2p test over night!

[Edited on 23/5/14 by Ugg10]

mark chandler

posted on 23/5/14 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
When I cleaned a very grubby, inside and out rover v8 I used drain cleaner, it fizzles a bit but really gets the job done.
ken555

posted on 23/5/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cillit Bang and a jet wash

to

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.