Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slimline Radiator Fan
Scuzzle

posted on 29/5/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Slimline Radiator Fan

At the moment I have a £25 Ebay special slimline fan, are the Spal, Kenlowe etc fans at 3x, 4x the price far superior for cooling? I had the car overheat recently and was just wondering if fitting one of the better red fans would make a noticeable difference.
mcerd1

posted on 29/5/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got an overheating problem at standstill or slow moving traffic ?

your only going to really notice the difference if the current fan isn't up to the job....

-

ashg

posted on 29/5/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
one of the kenlowe hd fans will shift about 3 times the air of the cheapo ebay ones. even two of the ebay ones couldnt keep my saab engine cool sitting in traffic.

[Edited on 29/5/2014 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

sssline

posted on 29/5/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I changed my cheapo fan for a twin speed Kenlowe and it definately made a difference, much higher airflow so improved cooling when at standstill and the fan is providing the air.

Cheers
Tony.R

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swkitcars/

Scuzzle

posted on 29/5/14 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, yes it's only at standstill I had an issue and even then it was just the once, I don't mind paying for a better fan if they are far better which it sounds like they are.
snowy2

posted on 30/5/14 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Cooling issues on kits tends to be about air flow and ducting rather than fans.....if the air comming in through the nose cone is not ducted to force the air through the radiator core then overheating is often the result.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

mcerd1

posted on 30/5/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
Cooling issues on kits tends to be about air flow and ducting rather than fans.....if the air comming in through the nose cone is not ducted to force the air through the radiator core then overheating is often the result.

^^ but this is a mk1 fiesta

-

Scuzzle

posted on 30/5/14 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
It is a MK1 Fiesta, every Google search I tried for info on bike carbs and 2.0 zetecs brought me here so I figured I might as well sign up.
snowy2

posted on 31/5/14 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
My mistake.......
that said airflow through the radiator core is still valid, weirdly removing the rad grille and exposing the radiator to direct air flow can actually make the cooling much worse not better. (because turbulent air is better at cooling than laminar air.....)

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

alfas

posted on 10/6/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2

100% agree

and if you want to buy a "good" fan...SPAL is the brand to go....the differnce to kenlowe is the same as the cheapish ebay ones to kenlowe

Scuzzle

posted on 10/6/14 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll get a proper Spal fan, any suggestions on where is best to buy one from, I take it Ebay would be prone to fakes so best to go elsewhere.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.