Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sat nav help
Matt21

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Sat nav help

I went on a long drive out the other day, any i dont have a sat nav, and i didnt want to use my phone as it absolutely destroys the battery life. So I think i best buy a sat nav, having to stop at the junctions to read my list of noted got a bit annoying

I know nothing of them, which are good and which are bad, so hopefully you guys can help me.

Heres what im after

Battery powered that has a long battery life (no cig lighter in my car, though one could be fitted if i need it)
able to custom make my routes rather than keep updating it with the next destination
reasonably well priced

any help?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Tomtoms are pretty much the best you can get atm

Get an older one that can accept itn files. Then you can google map your trip on the computer and download it to the tomtom

That's what all the SKCC guys do when they go on European trips etc.

The tomtom XXL classic has itn input but the XL doesn't. Use a program called tyre to make and upload routes to it.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Acc8braman

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would fit a cig lighter to start with.

I have an iphone 5 and run something called iGo - its great

Scuzzle

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Why not just fit a plug in power source for your phone. What I've done with mine is just tape wires to the plastic plug in part that would push into a cig lighter and hide it away behind the dash.
The plug has the built in voltage reducer so all you do is tape up some single core wire round the live post and the earth post and splice them into your wiring.
Now you just tuck the plug away somewhere out of sight and have the part that plugs into your phone come out from behind the dash, just a few inches of the power cord near a suction or clip on phone holder bracket does the trick if this is possible.

Would save you having to buy a sat nav and wherever you planned to mount this you just mount your phone instead. Can look much neater than a cig lighter fitted with the loose wiring of whatever is plugged into it on show, if you hard wire it you only see a couple of inches of your phones power cord.

[Edited on 18/6/14 by Scuzzle]

adithorp

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Tomtoms are pretty much the best you can get atm

Get an older one that can accept itn files. Then you can google map your trip on the computer and download it to the tomtom

That's what all the SKCC guys do when they go on European trips etc.

The tomtom XXL classic has itn input but the XL doesn't. Use a program called tyre to make and upload routes to it.

Agree with that. Get one that does ITN (itinaries) and use TYRE (free to download) to create a route. Personally I use a TomTom Rider as they're fully waterproof and glove friendly being bike spec' but unless you can get a used one (like I did) they aren't cheap.

I'd fit a (multi) power outlet somewhere under the dash. I had an expensive one that turned out to be crap. Replaced it with a Aldi one (in stock now) that has USB sockets in addition to the cig' type. Never been a problem.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.