Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Bias
neilp1

posted on 11/8/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Bias

Having failed my IVA on brake bias, if I take it to an MOT centre will they be able to tell me if my brake bias is correct??

Cheers
Neil

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
No you really need to road test from slow speed on a clean dry good tarmac surface.
If you have a tandem master cylinder just put a pressure limiting or pressure proportioning valve in the rear circuit or if you have drum brakes fit smaller bore rear wheel cylinders.

[Edited on 11/8/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Acc8braman

posted on 12/8/14 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
Having failed my IVA on brake bias, if I take it to an MOT centre will they be able to tell me if my brake bias is correct??

Cheers
Neil

Took mine to mot station and it passed, took to IVA and failed. So waste of time.

As the other person said slow drive and test

loggyboy

posted on 12/8/14 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Don't take it to the MoT station to ask if it passes, ask them for the results. Use them to make adjustments.

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The results from a normal MOT roller test are pretty well useless for setting up bias, even the method use at IVA is pretty hit or miss.

[/I]

steve m

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Question on the Bias settings, as I now have a duel setup with bias bar

My 7 is due an MOT next week, and I was going to take the readings of fronts together and backs off the screen and work out roughly what the 60/40 front to back split was, and adjust my set up accordingly

Will this not be of any use

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 12/8/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
The brake tests I've seen on MOT's only have one set of rollers, so I don't understand how they could work out brake bias anyway? They can calculate brake efficiency (and left to right brake balance), but not necessarily compare effort between front and back wheels?

Is there something I'm missing?

britishtrident

posted on 12/8/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
On MOT rollers you get no weight transfer from the front to the rear wheels so the readings aren't reprentative of real stop also you can't know if the pedal pressure is the same. Another problem with MOT rollers is the gripping surface of the rollers varies a lot, some older machines have polished steel rollers that don't give much grip while others are very abrasive, this isn't much of problem for MOT testing because the requirement for service brake efficiency was set in the days when Vauxhall Wyverns and Ford Anglias were on our roads.

The IVA test also can only replicate one particular set of conditions.

As long as the front brakes lock first on good clean dry tarmac all should be well, so aim for this plus a margin for error.
For race cars in the wet provided the relative sizes the front and rear calliper and master cylinders are in the correct ballpark then about 1 turn extra towards the rear on the bias bar is the initial setting. With a correctly assembled balance bar bar if much more than a couple of turns are required between wet and dry it is time to reconsider the master cylinder bore sizes.

[/I]

jps

posted on 12/8/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest - could people link to specific brake 'reducing' valves they've used? I've seen several different ones mentioned in threads over the last few months (Ka, Sierra, Mini, Corsa) but they are all along the lines of 'get one from a scrappy' whereas i'd probably prefer to buy a new one...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.