Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Panel fastening
JC

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Panel fastening

Hi All,

I need to fasten this flat panel over my engine compartment. The panel is aluminium/plastic sandwich and about 4mm thick - very rigid and fairly light. The panel needs to be removable to allow engine access. I had thought of using Dzus or the push-fix screw type fasteners (can't remember what they are called!), however in the Carroll Smith book, he says he wouldn't use these fixings where they are also used to locate the panel - which is what I wanted. Helpfully, he doesn't say which ones he would use! Any suggestions please?

[img] Cover
Cover
[img]
[img] not covered
not covered
[img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 15/10/14 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Drill and tap the chassis, and use small (M4 or M5) cap-head bolts? I've done this for a few panels which I occasionally want to remove, it works well.
kingster996

posted on 15/10/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnuts?

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

JC

posted on 16/10/14 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - I think if I go that route, I might weld tabs to the chassis with captive nuts. Was hoping there might be a magic quick release option!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.