Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Difference between driving in the wet and dry
SteveWallace

posted on 4/12/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Difference between driving in the wet and dry

I've been doing a few minor modifications to the Viento over the last couple of days - getting the self cancelling mechanism on the indicators to work and wrapping the exhaust manifolds - so I decided to have a quick run out to make sure everything worked as it should.

It wasn't raining, but the road was damp and it was the first time that I've driven the car on a wet road. Its no doubt obvious to those of you that are more experienced at driving these things than me (only got on the road this summer), but what a difference it makes!

I was driving through a 30 zone and when I got to a 60 zone, I floored the accelerator. Next thing I know I was snaking like the F1 cars do when they do a burn out to heat the tires on the formation lap. I managed to catch it and keep going and there were no other cars around, but its the first time that I've properly lost traction in the kit.

Just shows what all that torque from a 2.8l straight 6 can do in a light weight car and a good lesson learnt without a big incident.

I have to admit, it was kind of fun once I knew I was going to save it from the nearest ditch

loggyboy

posted on 4/12/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest, what tyres?

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWallace

posted on 4/12/14 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing exotic, Avon ZZ3's. However, I've never even spun them up from a standing start in the dry, so probably not trying hard enough!

I need to get it to a track so I can get a feel for how progressive loss of traction is. Even though I'm cornering faster than I can in the tin top, I don't really know where the limit is or how recoverable its going to be once I've past it.

pewe

posted on 4/12/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Most important lesson to learn is that if the back end does start to go don't do as you would in a front wheel drive and lift off the accelerator.
That only encourages the back end to catch up with the front - ask me how I know......
You need to keep your right foot exactly where it was to ensure the rears don't try to slow you down.
If you can access a skid-pan it can be very useful in helping develop that technique because it not intuitive to keep your throttle foot on the gas.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

PS alternatively persuade nearest and dearest to fund a half day at the Porsche Experience at Silverstone. You get to drive their cars and amongst other things they have a kick-plate at the entry to the skid-pan which at 40mph randomly kicks the back end out by 50cms.
At first it's quite disconcerting - I managed four complete spins first time by lifting off (against instruction!) but you soon earn to keep your foot in.

loggyboy

posted on 4/12/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Something softer for the winter might suit. If you dont plan on going out in torrential rain, then road legal track tyres would still give better grip in damp conditions.

Mistral Motorsport

Camber Dave

posted on 4/12/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

You could also try softening the dampers and (for the winter) reduce the spring rates.
This will give a bit more traction and give you more time to catch the slide

proretro

posted on 4/12/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
SNAP!! I did exactly the same Sunday night. I was doing 30ish just touched the throttle and caught me completely by surprise. good fun tho
make's me wonder has anyone drove their kits in snow or ice ???

steve m

posted on 4/12/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
My 7 is dreadful in the wet, slides around every where and that's in the summer, when the roads are possibly warmer
max speed in the wet is around 60

a539 on the front at 16 psi and champinos on the back at 18psi

I probably would not take the car out in the cold winter, and not at all if it was winter and wet

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 4/12/14 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Same here, i'm running R888s which give unbelievable grip in the dry, but once wet it is all too easy to lose the grip.
I guess it's all down to the fact we have hardly any weight on the car, so the aquaplaning effect is magnified quite dramatically!

David Jenkins

posted on 4/12/14 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Scared the life out of me the first time I went out in drizzly miserable weather - after a few snaky moments I ended up driving like a grandma! That's with just a mildly warm 1600cc x-flow...

Grimsdale

posted on 4/12/14 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've just changed from pirelli p6000s where dry grip was ok, and wet grip was non-existant. I not run vredestein sportrac5 and i've not found the dry grip limit yet, but the wet grip is easily double that of the pirellis, and i've barely managed to get it to break away at all, i keep running out of bottle!
myke pocock

posted on 4/12/14 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
700 miles on the clock, uphill 30 degree right and damp road. Not too fast but spun it and ended up back end in a ditch, cracked nose cone, bent alloy and bent wing stay. Had to get two lads who were passing to push me out. And that was only a lowly 1300 x flow.
SteveWallace

posted on 4/12/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by proretro
SNAP!! I did exactly the same Sunday night. I was doing 30ish just touched the throttle and caught me completely by surprise. good fun tho

Not a chance of going anywhere in the snow or ice. I have a 3 series BMW tin top and I cannot even get up the very small gradient on our drive if its been snowing.

ken555

posted on 4/12/14 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 4/12/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I did, quite a bit a few years ago. Didn't end too wel, but had a great time. More info here:http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=176133

ceebmoj

posted on 4/12/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ok so ones not a kit. But driving in less than ideal conditions has taught me an awful lot about car control, and that the controls are not binary devices. In the BEC I found getting down shift just right really important.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 4/12/14 by ceebmoj]

chrisj

posted on 4/12/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel spin at 70 in fourth when air temp was about 7 degrees. Soft Kumho's but not enough temp from lateral movement. Lucky I've got a LSD.
Grimsdale

posted on 5/12/14 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by proretromake's me wonder has anyone drove their kits in snow or ice ???

Time to repost this photo methinks:

proretro

posted on 5/12/14 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Love to see other drivers reactions after seeing a little 7/kits driving in the snow lol
Jon Ison

posted on 5/12/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
should be a like button, great photo.
ashg

posted on 5/12/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
There was a Facebook like button at one point but Chris removed it as it was causing people problems viewing from work because Web filters were detecting Facebook links.

I drove my kit from the UK up to north Norway this year with toyo r1r tyres. Apparently toyo say they are not good in low temps but I had no issues. Dick and Nash did the same with r1r's. They also drove from Kent to Applecross in the snow last year. Again no issues.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

adithorp

posted on 5/12/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
quote:
Originally posted by proretromake's me wonder has anyone drove their kits in snow or ice ???

Time to repost this photo methinks:

Is that the topof the Snake? Not sure I'd have parked on that bend for the photo.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcerd1

posted on 5/12/14 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
quote:

Not a chance of going anywhere in the snow or ice. I have a 3 series BMW tin top and I cannot even get up the very small gradient on our drive if its been snowing.

^^ sounds like you need to get yourself some proper winter tyres for the tin-top then

I've had a few different Avon tyres on various cars and I'm yet to try any that I actually like and none of them gripped well in the wet / cold weather
I've got a pair of ZV5's on the front of the tin-top at the moment (came with the car)
while they aren't the worst I've ever had they just don't grip nearly as well as the new goodyear's or even my old vredestein sportrac3's, also they just feel horrible like your not connected to the road
and according to there website that's the current 'premium tyre'....

-

Irony

posted on 5/12/14 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sounds like mine will be a similar handful when it gets on the road. I do however agree that BMW 3 series in the snow are just useless. Every morning my former next-door neighbour got stuck on his own driveway when it smelled of snow. Only to be passed by his missus who happily drove out past him in her corsa.

[Edited on 5/12/14 by Irony]

mcerd1

posted on 5/12/14 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I do however agree that BMW 3 series in the snow are just useless. Every morning my former next-door neighbour got stuck on his own driveway when it smelled of snow. Only to be passed by his missus who happily drove out past him in her corsa.

was that one with the stupidly wide / low profile wheels like the M sport wheels that they all seem to have these days ?&#8626;&#8626;
if so BMW recommend much narrower high profile winter tyres and wheels (ie. The ones they use in countries that require them by law in winter)

[Edited on 5/12/2014 by mcerd1]

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.