Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metallic paint
JC

posted on 23/2/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Metallic paint

Hi all,

I painted the chassis of my Atom-esque Midi a week or so ago, using B&Q metal paint from a rattle can. I am really pleased with the results, however......

Whenever I touch the painted surface, I get a silver residue on my fingers. I have rubbed the surface with a damp cloth to try and remove it, but it still seems to be coming off. I prepped the chassis to bare metal, as per the instructions and cleaned and decreased it before paint.

I am presuming the best fix (sic) for this would be a coat of clear coat over the top? Is it too late after so long to do this, and is it going to be too cold in my garage for clear coat, with just a small fan heater to warm (I.e. Less cold!!!) the double garage?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 23/2/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I would test a small unseen area first as the paint may bubble up if the BQ paint is of a different type to the proposed lacquer.
JamesMcMc

posted on 23/2/15 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of paint was it? Some paints can take a week to cure properly if not used in warm conditions.
JC

posted on 24/2/15 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, did I say B&Q? I meant Wickes of course!

This is the stuff:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

I found a can of acrylic clear coat and tested a small area and it was a very blotchy result, and there was a small run that seems to have dissolved the paint

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
IanSouthLincs

posted on 27/2/15 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be spraying anything until it warms up personally, I've had too many reactions in cold weather. Remember it's often not the air temperature, it's the temperature of the bodywork you're spraying. I consider 15 degrees to be my minimum.
JC

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not 15 in holbeach...? It is here up the A17 - not! Trouble is, we have an extension being built over the garage, which will need to be empty so I am trying to make the car ready to go (under cover) outside

Had a little more success with clear coat though, just need to be very careful not to overspray!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.