Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: carbon fibre
sting

posted on 17/10/02 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
carbon fibre

Can any of you guys suggest where i maybe able to get some carbon sheet or even fake look sheet to fit to the inside panels of the cabin?
Cheers
Sting

Dunc

posted on 17/10/02 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Place up here in Glasgow that supplies fibreglass does kevlar and carbon fibre sheeting. Because of the need to vacuum bake carbon fibre they suggested using a clear gel coat, then 1 layer of carbon fiibre then backed with normal fibreglass to get the same look. You can maybe try a fibreglass supplier near you.
Findlay234

posted on 17/10/02 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
for your carbon look film....
larkspeed..... foliatec film

foliatec cockpit design film.......... may look tacky tho, i dont know?

cheers
fin

Liam

posted on 17/10/02 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
My mate got some carbon fibre mat from a local fibreglass supplier. I think it was about 20 quid/square metre (but could be wrong). He made the dash in GRP with the final layer in carbon fibre - looks right and feels/sounds right when you give it a tap. DONT use fake carbon fibre film - it's awful (IMO)! Have you noticed that usually it doesn't actually look anything like carbon fibre?

My mate even had enough left to make me a carbon fibre birthday card, which to this day is the best thing I have ever received, EVER.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dunc

posted on 17/10/02 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the film, will peel. Best with the 'Real' stuff even though it's no as strong. Don't know best way of doing it. Build it up with final layer like Liam and you might end up with a poor surface finish, build it with a gel coat first will give you a good surface, dependant on the mold surface, but you will need to make a mold. There are other cheats like Liams way with release agent and cling film to get smooth finish but can be risky. Best bet is to check out local fibreglass supplier, £20 a square metre seems about right, still work out cheaper than stick on stuff but will take longer.
bob

posted on 17/10/02 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
carbon fibre sheet

http://www.thinkauto.com/

Just so happens i was at their counter this very day,very handy shop
Saw a sheet of carbon fibre on display

sting

posted on 18/10/02 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks BTB
i`ve sent them an e-mail so will await reply.

Sting

MK9R

posted on 22/10/02 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
If using a mould, rub bees wax into it first then paint with a release agent, it will definetly come out then. You can get the release agent from most fibreglass retailers.

N.B. Caron fibre should be laid using the correct epoxy resin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grp bob

posted on 22/10/02 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
carbon fibre

you can lay carbon or kevlar on clear gell
in a mould or on a sheet of glass you must wax them well 4or 5 coats lay glass fibre over it then as normal.do not use release agent and wax only one or the other
if any one has some panels i can lend i can make some moulds and i would make some carbon panels at cost for them

[Edited on 10/22/02 by grp bob]

[Edited on 10/22/02 by grp bob]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.