Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Updating Mazda Sat Nav - Any Advice
John P

posted on 12/10/22 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Updating Mazda Sat Nav - Any Advice

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a 2016 Mazda 3 with in-built sat nav.

Apparently when new you get a certain number of map updates free but this period has now elapsed and buying a single update from Mazda is something like £100.

I've heard that you can buy a new SIMM on-line from Amazon or e-bay which effectively both updates your maps and also allows you to download further updates a set number of times. These are around £39 but has anyone actually done this as I'm a little concerned I could end up either wasting the £39 or causing a problem with the Sat Nav.

John.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/10/22 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have satnav in the car but tbh it's not a remotely as good as google maps which is live and interactive, very accurate and free. I simply have the phone mounted on the top of the dash, does my phone, maps and music. I wouldn't even bother getting the cars maps updated.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 12/10/22 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently pulling out my car's sat nav and building an android tablet into the dash for this reason....

SteveWalker

posted on 12/10/22 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's just another of the manufacturer's rip-offs. For the price of a manufacturer's update to a built-in sat-nav, you can buy an entire, stand-alone sat-nav, with lifetime updates!
nick205

posted on 13/10/22 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I have satnav in the car but tbh it's not a remotely as good as google maps which is live and interactive, very accurate and free. I simply have the phone mounted on the top of the dash, does my phone, maps and music. I wouldn't even bother getting the cars maps updated.

Bang on - we replaced SWMBO's car last year from an ageing VW Touran with nothing to a Skoda Kodiaq with most things. Built in Sat Nav - NO - not a chance!

Sat Nav - Google Maps on the phone (it'll Bluetooth the speach (directions) via the car's stereo speakers as well)
Music - Spotify Bluetoothed to the car
Phone - phone - Bluetoothed to the car

@ John P - I'm guessing you have a smartphone? if so use Google Maps on that, it's free, accurate, let's you save routes as favourites. Even let's you download routes for offline use so your not relying on data while driving.

nick205

posted on 13/10/22 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Bang on - we replaced SWMBO's car last year from an ageing VW Touran with nothing to a Skoda Kodiaq with most things. Built in Sat Nav - NO - not a chance!

Sat Nav - Google Maps on the phone (it'll Bluetooth the speach (directions) via the car's stereo speakers as well)
Music - Spotify Bluetoothed to the car
Phone - phone - Bluetoothed to the car

@ John P - I'm guessing you have a smartphone? if so use Google Maps on that, it's free, accurate, let's you save routes as favourites. Even let's you download routes for offline use so your not relying on data while driving.

If your car doesn't have a USB port for charging your phone get a cigarette socket USB adapter for <£10 of Ebay / Amazon and do it that way. Get a dashboard / windscreen phone holder from the same place too.

SJ

posted on 13/10/22 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
My 2017 Mazda 6 has it and like other people I never use it and always use Google maps. I've never updated it and it still works perfectly well though. You can retro fit Androind Auto for about £70 to the Mazda system

[Edited on 13/10/22 by SJ]

Russell

posted on 13/10/22 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Bricking the sat nav is the major concern with any dodgy updates. Do that and it's a whole world of pain and expense.

Have you looked at https://mazdatweaks.com/? This is something I can vouch for. I installed Android Auto and you get the Google sat nav experience on the Mazda display but it runs off a connected phone. I haven't used it for maybe a year so things may have changed what with Google pulling Android Auto off may devices. Lots of the other tweaks are well worth doing though! I've got a 2016 MX-5 ND, and Mazdatweaks works well on that.

Russ

SJ

posted on 13/10/22 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Bricking the sat nav is the major concern with any dodgy updates. Do that and it's a whole world of pain and expense.

Have you looked at https://mazdatweaks.com/? This is something I can vouch for. I installed Android Auto and you get the Google sat nav experience on the Mazda display but it runs off a connected phone. I haven't used it for maybe a year so things may have changed what with Google pulling Android Auto off may devices. Lots of the other tweaks are well worth doing though! I've got a 2016 MX-5 ND, and Mazdatweaks works well on that.

Russ

I had a look at that option and was worried about bricking the unit. For the cost I'll get one of these if I want to upgrade:

Ali express mazda box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.