Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: plasterboard help
number-1

posted on 10/6/23 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
plasterboard help

Hey chaps

Any builders or plasterboard experts on here?

I am trying to find a solution to a wall where there isnt enough joists to get 2 plasterboard sheets to meet properly and allow fixings to ensure they sit flush with each other.

Imagine 2 plasterboard sheets...the bottom sheet and the top sheet share the same vertical joists at each end. But the horizontal, where top and bottom meet, there is no room for a joist. The top and bottom edge dont line up because of this.

Does anyone know of a way to make these edges sit flush and allow plaster over the top?

I was thinking of thin metal sheet behind and screw into it on the bottom and top sheet to pull them flush.

Anyone ever had this issue and overcome it?

I will add an amazing drawing for reference. The red area is the part that needs sorting....

number-1

posted on 10/6/23 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote

gremlin1234

posted on 10/6/23 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
could you get a larger sheet of board?
Slimy38

posted on 10/6/23 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Realistically the only safe way is to add a complete joist. Don't try and use a fixing to hold two boards together, all you'll be doing is making a nice flexible wall that will have cracking plaster in no time.

Plasterboard doesn't like large spans, we've found anything more than 450 is just asking for trouble when it comes to skimming. Even 450 is too wide if the joists aren't a decent thickness.

[Edited on 10-6-23 by Slimy38]

JoelP

posted on 11/6/23 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
If there's nothing behind the boards, just put a bit of timber to screw them both to. It doesn't need to be a, full joist. If it's going over existing plasterboards, stick it down with some pu adhesive foam. Scrim tape over the join will help prevent cracking.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

roadrunner

posted on 11/6/23 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
The plasterboards should be fitted vertically and each long joint should be fixed to the studs.
If this is how it's going to be and you you can fit steel behind then why not nog between the studs with timber.

nick205

posted on 12/6/23 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
The plasterboards should be fitted vertically and each long joint should be fixed to the studs.
If this is how it's going to be and you you can fit steel behind then why not nog between the studs with timber.

I'm no builder/plasterer, but that's my view as well.

Fit the sheets vertically and make sure they're secured all around to the studs. Cracks await in the plaster otherwise!

nick205

posted on 12/6/23 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking further...

My house is timber framed and plasterboard lined. All the wall plasterboard sheets are fitted vertically. In places where the vertical studs aren't in exactly the right place extra vertical studs have been added - to support adjoining plasterboard sheet edges.

roadrunner

posted on 12/6/23 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a carpenter joiner by trade and much of my site work in the early years was stud work.
It is not hard to work out the centers for each stud so it meets all edges of plaster board.
I think the Regs have changed so that all edges have to be carried by noggins like where ceiling boards meet external walls, it has to be nogged between the floor joists.

JoelP

posted on 12/6/23 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think we need to ask what he means by 'no room for a joist'. If there's 20mm, put a sliver of timber in to bridge them. Doesn't need fixing to anything else. If there's less than 20mm, use the pu plasterboard adhesive foam from screwfix. It's basically expanding foam that doesn't actually expand.

This would appear to be a DIY project, rather than a work of artistry.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.