Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3M VHB tape rules!!!
Liam

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
3M VHB tape rules!!!

Hello...

The other day me and Geoff (Jambojeef) selotaped my floor, sides and rear bulkhead on with 3M VHB tape. Just thought I'd share the experiance...

The tape is awesome stuff!! I did a test piece and could hang my weight off a piece of ally taped to 5" of RHS. My floor has 75 times this bond area holding it on. I intend to put a few rivets in corners to resist peel but to be honest it probably doesn't need it at all.

It's a doddle to use and all this panelling took only a lazy short day start to finish, including cutting the panels. The tape isolates the steel and ally and eliminates any loud ringing panels. Tapping the panels just gives a dull thud. Cost me 35 squid a roll (all inc) which is way more than enough and I probably would have spent at least that on decent rivets, drill bits and PU, not to mention many hours of my life drilling and de-burring! Can't recommend it highly enough.

There are loads of types of this VHB tape. I used a general purpose grey one, number 4611 in 1" width. Cool stuff.

On a side note - i was very pleasantly surprised at how well the 1mm NS4 ally beat round my round tube 'sills' and round the bottom edge of the chassis. Looks good. Woo hoo!!!

Liam Rescued attachment 2005_0528_155221AA.JPG
Rescued attachment 2005_0528_155221AA.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
finished... Rescued attachment DSCF0005.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0005.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the 3m VHB tape really doesn't like brake fluid anywhere near it. I forget where I read it now, so I could be making it up, but it might be worth doing your best to keep any brake fluids away from it (or perhaps test it on a scrap piece)?

The rivets in the corners are a good idea though. The Lotus Elise/Vx220 chassis uses adhesive to hold the ally panels/structure together. The rivets used there are only to stop the panels peeling apart in an accident.

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Jon Ison

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
i like that tape too, top chassis looks quality, chassis/builds like that can put some companies too shame.

pbura

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's AWESOME, Liam!

Years ago, I had a little sign on an office door put on with this stuff. When I took it off, it ripped out a huge chunk of wood! So when I first heard about it for Locosts (credit Sreve Graber) I got pretty excited.

A few questions for you:

-- Did you use two courses on the round sill tubes?

-- Did you beat the bottom edges of your side panels over onto the tape?

-- Where are the curved tubes that go at the sides of the rear bulkhead? Going to add them later?

Congrats on a great-looking job.

Pete

Pete

Liam

posted on 3/6/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh cheers Andy I'll check that out and keep the brake fluid away in the meantime! Brakes are the next job...

Aww thanks Jon - might even have it finished before too long! Cheers for being one of those who inspired me!

Ta Pete. Yeah it's bitchin stuff. My mate uses it in sign fixing but i do remember reading about Sgraber using it a while back...

-- Yep I used two courses round the sill tubes. the ally wraps round just over 180 degrees. I clamped a big bit of wood over the side panel level with the top of the sill to stop the middle bowing out. Started off with hand and finished with a rubber mallet. I'm so surprised it bent so smoothly and with no kinks. Just beat it a bit at a time and it just slowly looks better and better. Panel beating's great! The tape holds it very well but there is a tiny amount of spring back in the bend - so i will have to put a couple of rivets on the inside face of the sill to hold it down.

-- Yeah i cut the panel with an extra inch at the bottom edge. After briefly thinking about leaving them that way (ground effect F1 side skirts and all that ) I beat them round underneath. Again i'm surprised how well it went - 1mm NS4 is the way forwards! I actually just beat it round onto the floor - not onto another run of tape. The few rivets I put along the floor will go through the wraped round sides too and the whole lot will be sealed.

-- Yeah I haven't decided on them yet. I wanted to wait till the arches are on so i get the curve 'concentric' to the arch. I also want it rounded to match the sills and I cant bend a tube that well myself. I will end up sticking something on later - a grp moulding or even routered MDF or something...

I sanded off the paint before taping. I'm sure the POR15 would have been well enough adhered but I thought a metal to metal bond would be better. I will be running a bead of seam sealer around the inside edges of the floor and side tubes so nothing can get in. Should be cool...

Liam

sgraber

posted on 3/6/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Top Job Liam!

I discovered that brake fluid will release the bond pretty damn quick. Side panels wouldn't be an issue, but any flooring would best be served by an additional mechanical fastening using rivets. At least in the corners.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

skint scotsman

posted on 3/6/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
that stuffs great but you should see the strength of the clear stuff a lot more expensive but you would be amazed at the amount of signs that are held up by it.

Liam

posted on 3/6/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh - is there an end to the evils of brake fluid? Is it a WMD? Well thanks for that heads up - I guess when I have put the seam sealer down the tape will all be hidden away.

Yeah I noticed the clear stuff. Was over twice the price. The stuff I got (4611) is temp resistant and can therefore accept processes like powder coating. So if i was starting a new project i'd stick the panels on the bare metal chassis then powder coat the whole lot.

Liam

Hellfire

posted on 3/6/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
@ skint scotsman - I'm sure I've seen that car in the middle of your signature somewhere before?

skint scotsman

posted on 4/6/05 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
appologies for the pic hijack to hellfire

just love all the little details , the overall finish is great .

Your websites great as well think I've read it twice now

[Edited on 4/6/05 by skint scotsman]

Bob C

posted on 4/6/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought a 33m roll of this stuff for about 50notes + another fiver for their IPA/water cleaning fluid - just need to buy some ally sheets now.... I hope a single roll will do the car - it's a bit dear! I went for the 0.64mm thick stuff. I'll try & remember to post how it all goes together
Bob C

nick205

posted on 5/6/05 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Liam - Chassis looks very well designed and made, I like the mix of square and round tube. If the rest of the car is built to the same standard it will be a cracker

I've used the same 3M tape to bond stainless steel facia panels to mild steel equipment cabinets. It is very impressive stuff.

Good Luck
Nick

rick q

posted on 6/6/05 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Solve your brake fluid problems using Dot 5 (silicon base) instead of Dot 4 - Dot 5 doesn't eat paint - it costs though!
NS Dev

posted on 7/6/05 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
................and I would never use it either, gives a springy pedal and is NOT hygroscopic, so water stays as droplets in it and corrodes caliper pistons etc.

Don't bother with silicone fluid, it's crap, just don't spill the normal stuff!

RazMan

posted on 18/6/05 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think that DOT 5.1 fluid is silicon based - you can mix it with Dot 4 while flushing through. It is kinder to paintwork though.

Best to avoid silicon fluid on a road car anyway as it gives all sorts of problems when water gets near it.

Regarding the VHB tape - I used to use this as a signmaker to stick road signs together ........ the tape is stronger than the alloy sheet!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.