Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a (not so) Quick Buck
stevebubs

posted on 5/11/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Making a (not so) Quick Buck

OK...I've got most of the structure in place for a buck for my bulge.

*However* I don't have a clue what I should be using to finish it off so I can sand and sculpt it.

Help!!

[img][/img]

MkIndy7

posted on 5/11/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Body filler?
stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I was thinking, but where do I get huge amounts (preferably locally) without it costing the earth?
froggy

posted on 6/11/05 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
bulgy

i did a bonnet ages ago and bought a offcut of rigid roof insulation ,its 2" thick and you can shape it with a surform and then put a light skim of body filler over it. you can stick it together with pva if you need to but it does give you a flat surface to start with.
Triton

posted on 6/11/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Best way is to put one layer of fibreglass over it, that will stop it moving then a thin layer of filler....filler straight on top of what looks like paper mache won't be very stable and might crack.
Autopaint do 3kgs tins of filler for about £12 a pop...in Halfrauds you are looking at £20

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 6/11/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Upol body filler.

Easy sand in a big yellow tin for about £10. If you ever use a full tin on one job you're putting it on too thick .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

posted on 6/11/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thin plastic sheet over the paper and than one layer plaster of Paris about 1/2" thick.Tape some pieces of cardboard-foam whatever you have,around the area you want to cover to keep the plasterform in some kind of a box.
Weight till it's dry and than take a piece of fine mesh chickenwire and form it over the plastermold and put another 1/2" of plaster over it.The chickenwire is just reinforcement when you take the mold off.
Wait till it's completele dry and than you can sand the inside of the mold and finish it off with a layer of bodyfiller.
It will cost you close to nothing and you wont need any sanding when the fiberglass part is released from the mold.

Cheers Cita

stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
OK..removed the Mache and Put on a layer of FastGlass for strength...

Mache Removed + Fibre Laid
Mache Removed + Fibre Laid

As you can see, it's far from level

Question I have now is how do I mix the filler? I've a 3 litre tin of U-Pol Easy Sanding Body Filler which has the following sign on the side..

Filler Mixture
Filler Mixture

What exactly does this mean? 2 packets of hardener per 100ml?

TIA

Stephen

stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
Thin plastic sheet over the paper and than one layer plaster of Paris about 1/2" thick.Tape some pieces of cardboard-foam whatever you have,around the area you want to cover to keep the plasterform in some kind of a box.
Weight till it's dry and than take a piece of fine mesh chickenwire and form it over the plastermold and put another 1/2" of plaster over it.The chickenwire is just reinforcement when you take the mold off.
Wait till it's completele dry and than you can sand the inside of the mold and finish it off with a layer of bodyfiller.
It will cost you close to nothing and you wont need any sanding when the fiberglass part is released from the mold.

Cheers Cita

Thanks Cita but I don't know of a local Plaster of Paris supplier...

stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Filler Mixture
Filler Mixture

What exactly does this mean? 2 packets of hardener per 100ml?

Ok...found the datasheet Here so it's 2 parts per 100 by weight

Stephen

stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
3 kilos of filler later....it starts to take shape....sort of....need to wait for Halfrauds to re-open and buy some more

[img][/img]

rusty nuts

posted on 6/11/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure that I read somewhere that you can use plaster for building a buck , possibly in an old Hot Car mag. Thats the type that builders use on walls . As for how much hardener to use was once told by a body repairer to use a walnut to a pea in ratio size wize. Hope that makes sense.
Peteff

posted on 6/11/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus H !!!!!!

What size shovel did you put the filler on with? . You are in for a lot of rubbing there Steve. Get some 40 grit production paper, a cheap sander and a good mask

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
What size shovel did you put the filler on with? . You are in for a lot of rubbing there Steve. Get some 40 grit production paper, a cheap sander and a good mask

Don't ask....

You didn't see the sizes of the undulations.... it's still nowhere near the right height but a hell of a lot better than it was....some areas still need a *lot* of building up to make it approximately the right shape.

Got a good belt power sanders, so not too worried on the sanding side - just need to wait for a dry day so I can do it outside....

stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
PS Yes - a good mask is on the list with more filler...
chriscook

posted on 6/11/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a Hobbycraft nearby they sell plaster of paris - its where i got mine when i did my phoenix bulge.
stevebubs

posted on 6/11/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's a Hobbycraft 200yards or so from the office...

Oh well...have to plug on with this monstrocity (sp?) for now. 1 more tub of filler should see it though to completion.

Am going to see this one through to at least mould stage (first time at glassing etc so am not too worried if I make mistakes first time around), but may make another smaller buck if Plaster of Paris is cheap as chips.

Stephen

stevebubs

posted on 10/12/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Starting to come together now...

Hey this is starting to look like its supposed to
Hey this is starting to look like its supposed to

First fit removed from bin liners
First fit removed from bin liners

[Edited on 10/12/05 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 10/12/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Easy sand in a big yellow tin for about £10. If you ever use a full tin on one job you're putting it on too thick .

3 Tins so far

Hugh Paterson

posted on 10/12/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fecking hell 3 tins I use one tin of that when im fairing the plug for a 20ft boat
Shug.

Avoneer

posted on 10/12/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
And look at the colour of your windscreen!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 10/12/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
should have used some foam first to take up as much of the space as poss then filler to get final shape

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/05 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
And look at the colour of your windscreen!

Pat...

Given the fog recently, I don't think I'd notice the difference

More seriously, I think it's going to take me a year and a day to clean the garage out - absolutely everything is covered in dust

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/05 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
should have used some foam first to take up as much of the space as poss then filler to get final shape

Agreed but filler is easier to obtain at short notice...and it's been..... "fun"

posted on 11/12/05 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
Now that's a bulge!!!!

Make one plywood template-go to yard and start scraping-fill the hole with plaster and chickenwire-wait a few days-take buck out of hole-use ONE tin of filler-et voila-MOULDA PERFECTA.

You'll get there mate no worries!
It's gonna be fine!

Cheers Cita

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.