Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Design Ideas Please
RazMan

posted on 19/8/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Design Ideas Please

Once again I am having a design dilemma - my rear end is not covering all my chassis and I need to lower the bottom line a little. Trouble is how do I do it?
Here's a pic of the body as it is now... (simulated grill mesh for the benefit of the image)

[Edited on 19-8-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Aeon Arse.jpg
Rescued attachment Aeon Arse.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 19/8/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
and a possible solution? Basically I could tack on an extra panel below the diffuser and put mesh behind it.
(sorry about the crappy pic, althought it might look better in the dark at the moment )

Whaddya reckon?

[Edited on 19-8-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Aeon Arse 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Aeon Arse 2.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 19/8/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly, I'd leave it as it is - don't see that as a problem.

In fact, I quite like to see a bit of chassis...

Chippy

posted on 19/8/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Would definately say that your second picture does look better. Would be better if it came down in one line, rather than in two steps though. Just my opinion. Cheers Ray.
Ketchup

posted on 19/8/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
can you fit a small ali panel onto the chassis that is exposed.. and paint it matt black
Ketchup

posted on 19/8/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, that reads like im making an order, not a suggestion!
DIY Si

posted on 19/8/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Could you make a rear diffuser and wrap it up and around to the rear panel?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

RazMan

posted on 19/8/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
TimC - I had originally thought about leaving it as it is but after looking at a few pics I decided it had to change -0 it looks too much like a kit car

Chippy - I played around in Photoshop and made a deeper panel as you describe but it would be difficult to engineer as the rear hinge is exactly where the lower splitter is now.

Ketchup - (Hi mate ) A small panel to hide the chassis might work visually but I prefer to make everything functional whenever possible.

DIY Si - A diffuser is a good idea (functional too) I'll need to have a look at some examples to get an idea of what needs to be done. It may be difficult due to the way the rear section hinges though.

Cheers,
Raz

Hammerhead

posted on 19/8/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
i'd go the diffuser route too..........hellfire made one maybe take a look at his site??

Peteff

posted on 20/8/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Fasten a piece of plate on under the chassis and bend it up to meet the bottom of the fibreglass panel then trim it to the contour of the panel and paint it. It will be easier than adding onto the bottom of your panel in fibreglass.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chriscook

posted on 20/8/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
You may find that if you widen a bit of MG-F bodykit it'll fit quite well.......
Would probably go for diffuser myself if the undrside of the floor is flat - be careful that you don't make it too steep though.

RazMan

posted on 20/8/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty much convinced that a diffuser is the best way to go now.

As suggested, a plate attached under the chassis and bending up to meet the existing body with a number of strengthening ribs in the panel to get the ground effect.
Like this (courtesy of Raw Striker's website)

Question - What material to make the ribs from ? Ally would be the best choice but how would I get the profile needed?

[Edited on 20-8-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Rear Diffuser.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear Diffuser.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

gttman

posted on 20/8/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
be careful that its still SVA complient.... but a rear difuser is definatelly the way to go IMO.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

RazMan

posted on 20/8/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttman
be careful that its still SVA complient.... but a rear difuser is definatelly the way to go IMO.

Good point Andy - I was thinking that 15mm thick with radiused edges would be ok. I don't really want to have to make a mould, although fibreglass would be better for a more rounded shape.

Cheers,
Raz

DIY Si

posted on 20/8/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Could you make it out of ally plate/sheet with the fins either welded on, or rivet on either T or L shape fins? Easy to shape and attach.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

RazMan

posted on 20/8/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have a feeling I might have to wait until after SVA before I do this - it's good to get all the ideas together though.

I will probably make some 15mm thick fibreglass fins and put captive nuts into the edges, then blend them into a curved fibreglass sheet made from an ally template. The end result should be quite strong and reasonably light.

I'm presently fitting all the stainless mesh in various orifices around the car - it takes a surprisingly long time to get it all looking just right.

Now onto the roof scoop ...... but that's another story

Cheers,
Raz

stulad

posted on 21/8/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
omg as usual you have flagged up another good idea , damn you !!
maybe i should look at extending my rear end to hide chassis grrrrrrrrrrrr.
Raz I have added third brake light now (will add pics to my space ) and have started on rear light will talk to u soon cheers stu

RazMan

posted on 21/8/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stulad
omg as usual you have flagged up another good idea , damn you !!
maybe i should look at extending my rear end to hide chassis grrrrrrrrrrrr.

[evil laugh mode]Muuahahahahahah

Cheers,
Raz

gttman

posted on 21/8/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Aint you finished the Minator yet?........ slacker.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.