Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Amount of ali?
Findlay234

posted on 30/6/03 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Amount of ali?

How many sheets of 8x4 semi hard ali have people needed to complete a locost? What thickness used as well.
kingr

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think the last time this came up the consensus was 3 or 4 sheets, I've got 3 sheets (thanks Dave A!) and will need one more for bonnet and possible a few other bits and bobs. Out of the three, I got side panels, tranny tunnel, 2 floor sections (open bottom of tranny tunnel) rear interior, rear exterior and front of engine bay. I've got a cutting plan if you're interested, but you'll probably want slightly different bits, and they're not too difficult to make anyway.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
my unstandard car looks like its gonna use 4 sheets - which is what I bought. I recon a std car will go just a bit annoyingly over 3 sheets.

I bought 2mm sheets, which can be bent ok with heat treatment, but things would be easier with summat like 1.6mm. I have seen someone post that down at 1.2mm it dents too easy.

atb

steve

kingr

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I believe 18 gauge is the prescribed thickness, 16 gauge sounds a bit tricky to bend.

Kingr

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I used 1.6mm for everything except the rear panel. No real problems, but I did have access to a very big bending press for the sides!

DJ

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/6/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I believe 18 gauge is the prescribed thickness, 16 gauge sounds a bit tricky to bend.

Kingr

I bent 2.0mm without too much problem. I have also been able to form flanges around openings - even continuous round ones - by using heat treatment.

Get a bar of soap, and a blow torch. The soap is a temperature indicator.

Rub soap along the line you want to fold. Heat with a blow torch until the soap goes brown/black. (It washes off afterwards - a bit like - soap ).

Allow to cool.

The alu will now be really easy to bend - even at 2mm thickness.

This goes for 3003 grade alu.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/6/03 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I used 1.6mm for everything except the rear panel. No real problems, but I did have access to a very big bending press for the sides!

DJ

Do I remeber that you had problems with your rear panel cos you had the wrong grade alu - or am I wrong, or you have your rosey glasses on today?

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/03 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
It was a combination of wrong grade (too hard), and trying to work too much metal round the curve.

As it is, I cut away most of the top at the curves so that it was relatively easy to shape to the chassis tube. Not ideal, but I'm happy with the result - it'll be covered by the soft 'boot lid' anyway.

I probably could have used 1.6mm as long as it was a softer grade - but a friend gave me a sheet of 1.2mm!

DJ

paulbeyer

posted on 30/6/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote

Rub soap along the line you want to fold. Heat with a blow torch until the soap goes brown/black. (It washes off afterwards - a bit like - soap ).

Allow to cool.

The alu will now be really easy to bend -

Steve will a small hand held blow torch do the job? The sort used for DIY plumbing.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/03 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer

Been there, done that... doesn't help when you're trying to get some intractable sheet ali into a place it doesn't want to go to!

Seriously, I did anneal it (often), but ended up with too many folds to beat around without making a horrible mess.

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/6/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it will. thats what I used. Usually they are about 2kw power. You can get torches on a hose from machine mart that are about 50 quid, run off a big bottle, and do 7kw!

You will find that the hand helds do quite well until the can gets about half empty, then it gets slow. However, you should get at least an hour of good use. Also depends on if you are heating an edge, or the centre of a sheet.

I would say it takes about 20-30 secs or so to move an inch on the panel - not exactly GT but not too painful.

I managed to make a flanged 'trapeziodal' opening on a flat panel of the rear of my car (morgan type sloped) with a 20mm flange using just a blow torch, two sheets of wood forming a 'sandwitch' of the alu with the hole I wanted, a block of plastic, and a hammer.

The method makes the flanges at the top and bottom of the sides - like in the engine compartment - easy.

Alu bends OK in small lengths - but not when 1 metre or so long......the heat treatment helps a lot.

Dont worry if you see the sheet move a bit when heated - it comes back to normal flat when cooled.

Just worry if it melts onto the floor! using a hand held torch prevents this fairly well as its not overpowered.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer

Allow to cool.

The alu will now be really easy to bend -

Steve will a small hand held blow torch do the job? The sort used for DIY plumbing.

[Edited on 30/6/03 by stephen_gusterson]

paulbeyer

posted on 30/6/03 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go on some scrap I have lying around.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Findlay234

posted on 2/7/03 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
What about MK's 1mm thick ali.......... too thin??? its an ok price, thats all.
timf

posted on 2/7/03 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
1mm ali can be used but you have to be carefull about the bending of it

the best way to form it over the rails is to use a leather faced slapper ( no comments Please)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.