Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Resin for Carbon Fibre 2
Nick Davison

posted on 2/8/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Resin for carbon fibre

What type of resin do I need for carbon fibre cloth?
The standard resin I use with class fibre has a green colour which would spoil the look of carbon fibre.
Nick

Spyderman

posted on 2/8/03 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that the faint tint of the Polyester resin would not be noticable with CF unless you are using it for a gel coat.

If the CF cloth is going to be the topmost layer (no gel coat) then the colour should not a problem. Try a small sample first to see, but don't compare it to the bare CF cloth.

Spyderman

Spyderman

posted on 4/8/03 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I suppose it depends what kind of finish you want and where it will be.
To be honest I'd have thought that using a clear gel coat would be the best option, but until you have tried a sample you won't know which would be best for what you need.
The trouble with other peoples opinions is that they are "other people's"!

Experiment!

Spyderman

ProjectLMP

posted on 6/8/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Polyester resin doesn't work too good with carbon (and is useless with kevlar). The best option would be epoxy (which is also pretty clear) or vinyl ester (sort of a cross between epoxy and polyester).

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
suparuss

posted on 12/8/03 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Epoxy is used for carbon fibre for its gap filling properties, you cant get carbon fibre mat, so you need something a little thicker because the layers wont bond together properly other wise. when using glass cloth, mat is used between the layers because it will squish between the voids in the cloth.
vinylester is basically the same as polyester, but has better elogation (making it more bendy and less brittle)
and has better chemical resistance.

you can use the epoxy resin as a gel coat as its is usually clear, and is hard enough anyway, trouble is, i dont think it is air inhibited, so if doing it in a number of coats i would check if it will bond to its self properly when cured. carbon fibre is usually baked under pressure, or vacuum cast, i guess it depends on how critical the part is.

MK9R

posted on 13/8/03 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
I was told by a supplier that the normal polyester resin would be fine to use (if its looks only you are after), but to makesure you buy the clearest (is that a word), and probably the most expensive, polyester resin otherwise it will look cloudy. Just use carbon for the first layer then strengthen will normal fibre glass matt

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flip

posted on 15/8/03 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
gelcoat

if you can, use gelcoat but spray it on. do not brush it. spraying will leave a very thin and smooth surface which will produce a better finished product. i know some people also laminate a very thin layer of glass mat before applying the carbon. (almost glass tissue) i am not sure why, but it could be something to do with getting rid of air bubbles.

i would use a normal polyester resin, but make sure you get one which is highly transparent.

if it is looks you are after then try looking into Multiaxial Fabrics instead of normal woven mat. there are more expensive but can look great if layed up correctly.

dozracing

posted on 18/8/03 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Try looking at SP system Sprint material. Its easy to work with gives a good finish and is a pre-preg so its got no messy resin to dob on. When you have laid it up bring it to me and i'll vac bag it and oven cook it for you. It'll be the best and lightest part you'll affordably get in carbon.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Nick Davison

posted on 19/8/03 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that chaps.
I initially want to make a dashboard and may make a few other more complicated parts if it all goes well, I think pre preg is probably too advanced for my requirements and unnecessary as the components will not be in stressed areas. However the offer of auto claves is interesting, I only wish I had the time and money to experiment more!
I will do a trial sample with what I have which will point me in the direction for improvements.
Many Thanks
Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.