Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spray Paint Removal From Alloys
tubage

posted on 20/8/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Spray Paint Removal From Alloys

I have set of Ford RS Alloys with my Donor. Currently they are sprayed Gold. I don't know if this is original or an afterthought of the donor owner. Can anybody suggest how I remove this spray paint from the alloys without damaging them. I've tried with a wire brush but it seems to remove more than just the paint. Thx in advance.
carcentric

posted on 20/8/03 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatives

If you want to respray them, you might not have to take all the paint off - just rough it up with a 3M scuff pad, prime, and paint with the new color.

If you want to polish them (and maintain the finish every few months), here are three ways that work:
1) Sand the paint off with 400 grit paper, then take those scratches out with 800, then go to 1200, and finish with rouge polish on a cotton buff. A Dremel tool can be very helpful in small radius areas.
2) Use an aircraft paint stripper to soften the paint, scrape it off, rinse to neutralize, then finish with rouge polish on a cotton buff.
3) Use home oven cleaner (aerosol) - this is the favorite of Porsche folks for taking the black off Fuchs - and finish with rouge polish on a cotton buff.

If you follow 1), 2), or 3), apply a good wax and buff it off every couple of months - forever - to prevent oxidization.

Most folks who've tried it recommend against using a clear coat (acrylic enamel or polyurethane).

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Spyderman

posted on 20/8/03 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
As RS alloys are not a mirror finish, I'd just flat them back and respray them silver.
Another option is to get them anodised.

[Edited on 20/8/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

ned

posted on 20/8/03 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
just a guess but would bead/sand blasting them back to bare metal be an option? or would this distort the rim?

all IMHO

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MattWatson

posted on 20/8/03 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Bead blasting works, and is quite previlant with alloy wheels. Do not sand blast as it will pit the aluminum.

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 21/8/03 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
I too would advocate having the rims bead blasted (walnut shell or similar), then clear powder coated. Clear PC over anodizing looks superb.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.