Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint bloom problem - old paint
andyps

posted on 23/6/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Paint bloom problem - old paint

Back from a pretty wet Le Mans in my tin top and when I took off the magnetic GB plate I have the paint behind it has bloomed (or it may be the lacquer rather than the paint). I have tried rubbing compound which has made no difference, anyone know anything else which may work?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

ecosse

posted on 23/6/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've only seen bloom while actually painting not afterwards on hardened paint, but you could try a hair dryer on it (not too close) to lift the moisture.

Cheers

Alex

RazMan

posted on 23/6/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen this under magnetic signs - the type that taxis use on their domestic car. Its usually caused by the vibration of the sign rubbing away at the paint (grit usually gets trapped underneath) Mopping with rubbing compound usually does the trick - strange that it doesn't in your case.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 23/6/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I wondered about a hairdrier - will give it a try tomorrow as long as the weather is dry. It doesn't look like dirt has scratched it at all - the boot lid was freshly waxed when I put the plate on specifically to ensure that shouldn't be the case. If I get chance I will post a picture, does seem really strange for paint which could be 9 years old.

Andy

andyps

posted on 24/6/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
The hairdrier didn't work. It looks like there is moisture under the lacquer, but I can't figure how it got there. I guess it may need sanding down to take the lacquer off and then re-lacquering. Never had to do this before - does lacquer blend in easily if I use a Halfords aerosol? I have used it for full panels and wheels but never a patch repair.

Picture below if anyone has any other ideas: Rescued attachment fiat paint.JPG
Rescued attachment fiat paint.JPG

Andy

Ivan

posted on 24/6/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't rush into drastic action like stripping paint - leave it for a month or two and see if good old osmosis and diffusion (never sure which is which), or just plain old evaporation doesn't cure the problem.

DarrenW

posted on 25/6/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I would be surprised if rubbing compound doesnt work. What grade have you used. Ive had success with similar marks using Ferecla G3 first and then polishing up with G10.

The G3 leaves a dull matt appearance, the G10 is much finer and brings it up to a gloss. In both cases use it wet (or very damp) as the water acts as a lube and keeps temp build up under control. If using a power polisher dont press on too hard as you dont want to burn the finish.
Iv used a big power polisher before which takes some practice, ive also used a more diy type as well from cig lighter that has done the trick - just takes a little longer.

As said already might be wise to leave it a while first to see if it dries our itself if moisture has got in, although ill be surprised if this is the case.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.