Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So who carries a spare wheel then?
kiwirex

posted on 23/8/03 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
So who carries a spare wheel then?

I'm thinking I'll end up having different stud patterns front and back.

Don't fancy carrying two spares.

So thinking, probably none.

Think I've only had 1 flat that wasn't at home in the last 5 years.

So who carries a spare then?
Who doesn't? - regretted it yet?

- Greg H

theconrodkid

posted on 23/8/03 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
i got an aerosol that motorcycles use for temp repair on their tyres,cant tell you if it works though(fingers crossed)

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

eddie

posted on 23/8/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
cant confirm this but i believe that the new mini has no spare, just a sqiurty can of 'magic tyre gunk' similar to what the conrodkid describes, as for me when i get that far, the jury is still out on that one....

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 23/8/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
The new Mini doesn't even have that AFAIK. It has 'run flat' tyres and rims that can do exactly what the name suggests. Dunno if I'd trust it tho.

I'm planning on keeping a foot pump and a can of squirty gooey stuff in the boot!

Chris

[Edited on 23/8/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 23/8/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Squirty gooey stuff for me as well. I think BMW Z3 doesn't have a spare, BMW say on average each car has a flat every 40,000 miles, then most can be temp fixed with squirty gooey stuff.
chrisg

posted on 23/8/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware thast many places won't repair a tyre that contains the aerosol gunk, too much work to clean out.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Peteff

posted on 23/8/03 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'll throw the old rim and tyre away and get another from the scrapyard then. Another reason not to spend a fortune on alloys.

yours, Pete.

P.S. I know a very nice man who will come and help if I get a flat .

[Edited on 23/8/03 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/8/03 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
my local tyre place also told me that they wont repair tyres full of gunk.

I wasnt gonna have a spare on my car, but I found that the large sloping expanse of my car looks way too 'blank' without one. So mines there for styling purposes in the main!

atb

steve

PaulBuz

posted on 23/8/03 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
There is a product on the market, which ,if I remember correctly was developed for the lunar buggy.
Just put it in your tyres from the start,if you have a puncture,the fluid obviously exits from the hole,then solidifies on contact with the air. No flat tyre! you would'nt even notice it had happened.
This is a permanent repair & the guy assured me that it would'nt cause any balancing problems.
For my wheels the cost was about 40 quid.

flyingkiwi

posted on 23/8/03 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I use that stuff in my mountain bike tires, works a treat. Lasted me long enough to do over 30 miles on mountain tracks before the hole in the inner tube was too big to fill. Dunno if I would use it in my car though, would rather know I had a flat and sort it out.

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

eddie

posted on 23/8/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
is 'squirty gooey stuff' the technical term?

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/8/03 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBuz
There is a product on the market, which ,if I remember correctly was developed for the lunar buggy.
Just put it in your tyres from the start,if you have a puncture,the fluid obviously exits from the hole,then solidifies on contact with the air. No flat tyre! you would'nt even notice it had happened.
This is a permanent repair & the guy assured me that it would'nt cause any balancing problems.
For my wheels the cost was about 40 quid.

I suppose to use solid tyres on the buggy would have been just too simple.

There is a story that the USA space program spent millions on developing a pen that would write in zero gravity.

The russians used a pencil.

atb

steve

Metal Hippy

posted on 23/8/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Despite logic saying the lunar buggy had to be heavy, they couldn't get a heavy item up there.... Everything had to be light dinnit?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

pbura

posted on 23/8/03 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
There is a story that the USA space program spent millions on developing a pen that would write in zero gravity.

The russians used a pencil.

We have a time-honored tradition in the US that politicians award lavish government contracts in return for paltry campaign contributions.

Many times I wish they'd just stick the tax money straight into their pockets, same as some other parts of the world. It'd be cheaper,

Stu16v

posted on 24/8/03 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dunno if I would use it in my car though, would rather know I had a flat and sort it out.

Me too. Imagine serious structural damage being done to the tyre, and the driver not being aware of it because the *magic tyre seal* has repaired it before you even notice you have had a puncture. And then, one day, when you are giving the car 'a clearout' the damaged tyre gives up the ghost.....
No ta. Tyre seal for me. That way I now I have had a puncture, I have a good idea if it is safe to carry on, and I will be driving accordingly knowing I am relying on magic goop to get me home.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Peteff

posted on 24/8/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
You could try a spacesaver rim and tyre as a get you home solution. Drill it for the other stud pattern or make an adaptor and keep the speed down till you get somewhere to fix it.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DaveFJ

posted on 24/8/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have been considering a space saver wheel - maybe with a neat looking cover so the ugly thing isn't on display all the time....
Viper

posted on 24/8/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
TVR's don't have spares just a can of squirt sealer in a can type stuff.

flip

posted on 25/8/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
on my mountain bike i have 2 inner-tubes within the same tyre. one is inflated and the other flat. if i get a puncture, then i simply pump up the spare inner-tube using a gas cartridge. takes about 10 seconds!

you have to mark the valves though so you know which is the 'spare' and which isn't.

suppose this idea could be used on a car as well but i don't know of anyone who has tried it.

--------------------------------
what you don't forget today, you will forget tomorrow.

kiwirex

posted on 26/8/03 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I'll have a word with the local tyre guys and see what they think of the squirty gooey stuff.

Cheers,
Greg H

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.