Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine soundproofing
Jasper

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Engine soundproofing

Just incase anybody else needs to know. I've been worried about Db's for track days, many are now below 100Db's. I thought it was all down to the exhaust, WRONG.

Last night I lined the bonnet and lots of the engine bay with sound proofing material and it has made a HUGE difference, and a much cheaper solution to an expensive new can.

Last thing I want is to shell out my £££'s for a track day and get black flaged for noise.

ned

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
on a related topic, we had a trackday last friday (bank holiday weekend) at goodwood where the limit is 105db. We were asked to leave last year for being too noisy!

We got an additional little can from merlin motorsport that we fitted to the back of our current silencer. Merlin motorsport recon it'll loose 5db on most car engined applications (weren't too specific about bike engines) it worked a treat for us, we were noise tested at 104db. (when racing we usually have 108db limit i think.

only problem with this idea could be fitting it in before the rear wing depending on the size of your normal silencer. sorry no pic

but 2-up at 145mph was fun in the race car

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveO

posted on 28/8/03 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
What and where did you buy the soundproofing from?

Steve

Peteff

posted on 28/8/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Rockwool lagging from wickes or similar. If there's any left over from a building site near you you could get it for free. It's good for stuffing silencers as well.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

steve m

posted on 28/8/03 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper

Next time I follow you I will let you now how quite you are

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.