Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FENDER BUCK
Dale

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
FENDER BUCK

I have been making my bucks to make one of fenders for my car. I still have to deside where to vent out the the air that gets trapped in the front between the wheel and the nose (thinking shark gills down the side of the fender). And to get the slope behind the front wheel just right as I think it needs a bit more room behind the wheel like the morgons.
The rear fender is the question though. I am still just mudding them up and realised that I have an inward curl to the fender at the front and back so pulling the glass off of it is going to be hard/impossible. The fender is symetircal so it can used for either side (only one buck and less work for me.) I will need to make adaptors to match the boot-trunk to the fenders but that will be easier than trying to make two fenders the same.
When the fenders are mounted I will have to have a cut in the inward front side to clear the suspension mounts but that should not be too much of an issue. To pull the piece off of the buck would i be better to cut the piece down the center and re glass them back together or should it flex as I plan to do 2 or 3 layers of glass and then when pulled stiffen it from the inside with more layors.
Any hints.
Dale Rescued attachment DSCF0013_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0013_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Dale

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
front Rescued attachment DSCF0007_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0007_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Dale

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
side Rescued attachment DSCF0008_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0008_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

twybrow

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I would try the flexing/wedges/compressed air approach first. The problem is you may not get it off, and you may end up damaging the part. The cut it and rework option may be the only option available. You should be able to get a good repair if you have used a thick gelcoat layer.

Fred W B

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just make a split mould, I.E the mould is made in two (or more) pieces with flanges bolted together . Be sure to include male/female registers in the flanges so the mould pieces go back together in exactly in the same place

Cheers

Fred W b

Dale

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is I have not been planning on making a mold, just the buck and glassing my part right over the buck.
I know this will require me doing a skim coat of body fill over the finished piece, but it should make the process simpler in the long run and only intend on making one body- except maybe accident repair.
Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.