Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flush Rivets
Ian Pearson

posted on 12/9/03 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Flush Rivets

Anyone out there any experience flush rivets?

I want to use them on a couple of panels, and I'm not sure what sort of counter sink I need, and where to get the rivets from.

TIA, Ian.

Mix

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Use them all the time in the aircraft industry, sorry I can't help with a supplier but can say that they come in a variety of countersink angles, the most common being 90 degree and 120 degree so suggest you find your supplier and rivets before you source the countersink,(s). Desoutter manufacture the countersinks, a search of the web should throw up a local supplier.

Mick

DaveFJ

posted on 12/9/03 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
just be careful when using them on thin panels. The obvious problem is that the panel must be thicker than the depth of the rivet head. Hence it is a good idea to go for a more shallow angle. a lot of the rivets used in the aircraft industry are 100 degrees for just this reason.

Also because of the nature of the rivet it forms a far weaker joint.

[Edited on 12/9/03 by protofj]

flyingkiwi

posted on 12/9/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
pop do a countersunk rivet, and you should be able to get hold of them from the usual sources, depending on how many you and what size you need I can get some for you. There's no problem with weakness of the joint, if it can hold the skin of an aircraft together at mach 2 I think it should hold on a car panel, the problem comes when people countersink the hole too much, if you can see a ring around the rivet head then you've gone too deep. I know screwfix do the countersinks (got a couple myself) and you'llneed a 120 for the pop rivets.

All my external panels have been put on with countersunk cherrymax rivets. They ain't coming off.

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

thekafer

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
counter sunk rivets

[quote][i]Originally posted by Ian Pearson[/i]
Anyone out there any experience flush rivets?

I want to use them on a couple of panels, and I'm not sure what sort of counter sink I need, and where to get the rivets from.

TIA, Ian. [/quote]

I do alot of riveting. I modify helicopters for a living(I'm hoping to become a prostitute to regain my self respect)and use cherry max rivets quite a bit.

Heres some p/n's that may help:
#1. CR3212-4-5 This is a 100 degree counter sunk rivet with an aluminum shank and steel stem.the-4 refers to the diameter expressed in increments of 32ths of an inch.
The -5 is grip length (total thickness of materials)expressed in increments of 32ths of an inch.

Therefore the rivet above is 1/8" diameter with an 5/32" grip length.

so modify the number as required.

For thin skins .032" and below this p/n is what you want;

#2. CR3215-4-5
The head on this rivet is smaller for thin skins.

Cherrymax rivets are really strong particularly in shear but are alot more pricey than common automotive style rivets (P/N# ccpq-4-5).

Hope the info helps!! Fetch

[Edited on 13/9/03 by thekafer]

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

Mix

posted on 13/9/03 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just a word of warning!

If you think there is ever the chance you may wish to unrivet a panel don't use cherry max or cherry lock countersunk rivets. Yes they are very strong in shear, mainly due to the mandrel, (the bit of metal that breaks when you 'pop' it) being made of steel harder than anything less than cobalt drill bits. They also have a small collar around the mandrel which locks it in place preventing it being punched through.
Good rivets, (though you may need to get assistance from the Hulk to put them in using hand pliers), but almost impossible to remove without damage to the surrounding structure.

Mick

Ian Pearson

posted on 13/9/03 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.