Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to set camber and tracking
myeates

posted on 22/10/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
how to set camber and tracking

hi guys getting near the point i need to set the front suspension up. i know what the toe and camber needs to be roughly but how do i set this up as a good starting point with minimal technology e.g spirit level and tape measure if possible.

also im worried that my track rod ends may be only about 10-15mm onto the track rods will this be ok

thanks guys

Mark

t.j.

posted on 22/10/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need to read, read so you can concluded you own.

As guidance FRONT:
- lower wishbone parrallel to the ground; or outer ball-joint middle slightly lower than inner.
- upper wishbone inner balljoint around 25 mm lower than outer ball.

Then Bump-steer:
Try as first to keep the lower parrallel to the steeringrack

Camber can be adjusted but around 1,5 negative is ok

Caster around 5,5 to 8 degr

Toe-in 0-1mm

The taper is wobbling M14 and there for i want around 20-25 mm min. into the rod-end

Good luck and try search!

[Edited on 22/10/07 by t.j.]

[Edited on 22/10/07 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

RazMan

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Check out this thread for wheel alignment.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 23/10/07 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding track rod into the end. Some say 10-15mm is enough but I'm not convinced.
WestF27 came up with a good solution by welding a self-coloured nut onto the track-rod end thus extending the rod-end. Line them up by threading onto the rod and tack weld before taking them off and welding fully.
There is also a Sealey camber guage for £30 or so - you can always sell it on once you've used it. Bought mine from ebay.
Cheers, Pewe

myeates

posted on 23/10/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys i thought welding was an sva/mot fail i like razmans idea looks cheap and simple

is this the one and is it any good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-Magnetic-Camber-Castor-Gauge_W0QQitemZ160124778742QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64814QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

thanks guys

[Edited on 23/10/07 by myeates]

RazMan

posted on 23/10/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that the type of thing and £30 seems to be the average price.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Doc

posted on 24/10/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I just made some 'set squares' cut to the correct angle and set the wheels on a flat surface prepared from thick ply with packing etc underneath. Also made a spacer so that settings were taken from the wheel not the tyre.

Seems fine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.