Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lower Balljoint-cortina
AvonBelgium

posted on 24/9/03 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Lower Balljoint-cortina

Hi
I'm considering differant options for the lower balljoint on the front suspension of my Avon. Tiger uses the Fiat 124 balljoint ( has somebody as a part nr from this)but because I'm worried about camber and castor, I was considering to use the Maxi balljoint, maybe I can gain a couple of millimeters.
Has somebody has the dimensions from the Maxi balljoint, and specially the lower parts ( cylinder part that sit underneed the mounting flence). So I can see if can mount the Maxi balljoint more outside and forward ( more camber and castor)

Thanks in advance

Gunther

JoelP

posted on 24/9/03 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
not quite what you asked, but when attaching your ball joint, be careful that the angle of it allows the wishbone plenty of freedom to lift and drop. When i did mine it pointed out too much and didnt have ANY play to allow the bones to droop.
8smokingbarrels

posted on 2/10/03 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Joel- ive heard others mention this problem around the forum. Just wondering how u sorted the problem and do u know what caused it in the first place- ie did u have the balljoint at a different angle than it would have been in the car that it was originally used in?

Thx

chris

AvonBelgium

posted on 3/10/03 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building a Tiger Avon, bought the chassis ans suspension arms.
The problem seems, when you mount the front suspension, there seems to be not enough possibility to adjust, to have 0 or neg camber.
I bough the Maxi balljoint, and ist seem that i can gain 1 or 2 mm on this, so I hope now that this will sufficiant to get the aligment right.

JoelP

posted on 4/10/03 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 8smokingbarrels
Joel- ive heard others mention this problem around the forum. Just wondering how u sorted the problem and do u know what caused it in the first place- ie did u have the balljoint at a different angle than it would have been in the car that it was originally used in?

Thx

chris

sorry its been a while, dont usually check this section!

on a sierra hub, the bottom bit where the hole is is at an angle, so the ball joint spindle leans back to the car. i think that the cortina hub is more level. the correct angle isnt too hard to get. you know the cortina ball joint has a kink in it, with the two big holes pointing up? these two planes want to be at the same angle, like a V if you see what i mean. i just changed my wishbones a bit, unfortunately that increased the front track an inch at either side.

basically when the main part is level, when the bone itself is level the spindle points in quite a lot, so there is very little play left to allow droop. similarly, my upper wishbone from MK had more angle than i would've liked so i dont have much lift either! the hub can travel thru about 4 inches all in, which i think will be just sufficient. i am just basing my ride height on this, making the extreme up and down fall in the small window. no fast speed bumps for me i guess!

8smokingbarrels

posted on 10/10/03 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thx Joel for such a detailed reply. Yes I see what u mean- ive seen a cortina hub and it seems to v.little king pin angle at all (ie upper balljoint almost directly above the lower).

Im not familiar with the sierra but Audi lower balljoints are angled inwards quite steeply- perhaps all 'strut' type suspensions have this feature- im not sure Cortinas had struts- did they anyone?

chris

JoelP

posted on 10/10/03 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
no, they were double bone!
jcduroc

posted on 15/12/03 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AvonBelgium
... I was considering to use the Maxi balljoint, maybe I can gain a couple of millimeters.
Has somebody has the dimensions from the Maxi balljoint ...
Thanks in advance

Gunther

Here it goes (Quinton Hazel part)
Joćo

JCM

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.