Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon indy
FREAKYSTUFF

posted on 11/10/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon indy

Just wondering if anyone has done an all carbon indy. to get the weight down as low as possable..
mad-butcher

posted on 12/10/03 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
i know i'm a thick northern t##t. but wouldn't make more sense spending the corbon fibre money on a really pocky motor besides when blind old B######d reverses into you f/glass is a damned sight cheaper to replace
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FREAKYSTUFF

posted on 12/10/03 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Quite true.....

i've got a thing about carbon...

Peteff

posted on 12/10/03 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Carbonfibre lookalike panels are no lighter than fibreglass, the ones I've seen anyway. They just replace the first layer of glass with the carbon sheet and charge double for them.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

A Badger

posted on 12/10/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would image that the bodywork is actually quite a small proportion of the overall weight of the car. Surely it's got to be more impaortant to have a lightweight motor, box, diff, seats, wheels (added bonus of being unsprung weight) and maybe the most overlooked thing the driver!!!!

Andrew (trying desparately to deal with the latter!!)

FREAKYSTUFF

posted on 12/10/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
And me being 19st........i need a light car.
CairB

posted on 12/10/03 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, just make sure your passengers your mum's sister... U know... Auntie Matter
flip

posted on 12/10/03 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is only worth doing carbon body parts if done correctly and this isn't easy. you should really think about using a vacuum system to get rid off all the excess resin at the very least. It is often the excess resin which produces heavy parts not just the glass. With a normal wet layup method, you will always have excess weight. i agree that carbon looks great, but it would be interesting to calculate how much weight it would save and then work out if it is really worth the money.

the other thing which i thought about is producing thinner body parts which are reinforced in specific areas. The body parts in a locost are not really part of the structure and could be made much thinner, with strengthening strutts to hold the shape.

I am still trying to collect bits for my build at the moment, but will eventually make all the body parts from carbon. i have access to a great workshop, cheaper materials and some expert people to help out....otherwise i wouldn't both.

Paul

--------------------------------
what you don't forget today, you will forget tomorrow.

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/10/03 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I imaging carbon would make a difference in weight, but only the difference between a driver, and a driver with 63p in change in his pocket

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.