Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: playing with clamshells
Dale

posted on 20/3/08 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
playing with clamshells

trying out clamshells on my car. Mine is narrower on the front and wider in the track so the normal clamshells would be much to narrow. Also trying to shroud the front suspension to help out. The two angle plastic part at the front would be carved from foam and glassed.
Dale Rescued attachment clam2.jpg
Rescued attachment clam2.jpg

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

stevebubs

posted on 20/3/08 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
I quite like it.

What happened to the other ones you were making?

Dale

posted on 20/3/08 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I still have the other buck but I could not get the portion over the wheel to my liking and went with the decision that If I ever want to get the car built I have do something so I picked up the clamshell molds. I still prefer the back section of my front buck and may make them eventually but I also want to get the car on the road at some point in the not to distant future.
With the clamshells it gives me the option of doing some slippery brick work on it as well. I quite like the following one but with a smaller wing on the back. It could be added to mine as a bolt on acessory.
Dale Rescued attachment Aero89DM.jpg
Rescued attachment Aero89DM.jpg

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Oh no what are you doing!? I'd have to say that idea is b0ll0cks

put the old wings back on! They were great

[Edited on 20/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 20/3/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I kind of agree with you Mr. Whippy, as I dont really like the look of it from the side. As it sits right now I have my old buck sitting beside the car and looking to see if the clamshell could be used to cap the style of fender I made to start with which would elimiinate most of the buck building for the opposite side( the main reason I got the clam shells- as well as I did not like the hump over the front wheel the way I had it).

I am open to ideas that could work.
Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale

Dale

posted on 20/3/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Some more of my version of cad (cardboard aided design)
I think it is a vast improvment over the plain clamshell and much much much easier to build than my original ones would be.
It can be done in single plane as the only curve is at the back and it is a simple curve which means I could make it out of either glass or alloy.
It will allow me to hide the muffler and only show a stainless exhaust pipe out the side.

It looks much better in person than the picture

Dale

[Edited on 20/3/08 by Dale] Rescued attachment clam3.jpg
Rescued attachment clam3.jpg

Thanks
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.