Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP tub out of flat sheets
smart51

posted on 27/5/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
GRP tub out of flat sheets

I'll be starting my GRP inner tub in a week or two. I've been working on the design of a buck which is quite complicated but made entirely of flat sides. So i've had another idea. Make lots of flat sheets of GRP and bond them together. The problem is I don't know how strong the bonds will be.

If I bond 2 sheets together at 90° using bonding paste or resin thickener and chopped strands with a nice 20mm radius on the inside of the corners. will it be tough enough to withstand general car use? Rescued attachment GRP.JPG
Rescued attachment GRP.JPG

worX

posted on 27/5/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think the bonded edges will be very strong.

If you are doubtful why don't you used stronger chopped strands or CF?

Steve

designer

posted on 27/5/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think you might have to tape the outside too.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 27/5/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I built a hovercraft using a similar method...

Chop some thin PU foam sheet into the correct shape.....Laminate both sides with fiberglass and vacuum bag it to get rid of the air...

Then join the panels together with a fillet and thin taped seam on the inside and glass on the outside....

By using the foam core you need less glass and get much stiffer pannels!

Worked very well....reaaly strong!

And if you really want light and stiff, use kevlar instead of glass to laminate the pannels.... You car would be bullet proof too

[Edited on 27/5/08 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

smart51

posted on 27/5/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean "tape the outside"? Do you mean grinding the pointy edge back and glassing over it? Rescued attachment GRP.JPG
Rescued attachment GRP.JPG

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/5/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
What do you mean "tape the outside"? Do you mean grinding the pointy edge back and glassing over it?

yip do the insides first then grind the corners round before laying the outer tape as the cloth will pull away trying to do a 90 angle. This is also how some boats are built.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 27/5/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote

all that tub is flat sheet bonded to the spaceframe with polyurethane , then laminated into the tubes with kevlar carbon . the whole tunnel is kevlar .

i could (and may still) infill with one inch foam heet and make it into sandwich construction .

a much better idea is to use grp/ally honeycomb sandwich and laminate that in .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

turbodisplay

posted on 27/5/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you need a large raius a 90 mm coving length would do the trick.
You can get expanded polystyrene ones to do the job, just cover it in foil to prevent melting it with the resin.I used this stuff to make long curved sections on my car body- very good!

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.