Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Bias Bar
The Venom Project

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Bias Bar

A week ago I took this item off my car as the IVA people would have failed it. When I arrived at MNR on Saturday I was told I could refit the item as they had changed the regulations. Its no wonder people pull there hair out with worrying about the IVA test.

I have set my mind at rest now that my car will fail its initial IVA test, but hopefully within the 5 day free retest window I can fix whatever the issue's will be.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

Davegtst

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK there is no problem having them fitted but once set they have to be permanantly fixed (welded or threads destroyed) to get through. If not then i am getting one.
The Venom Project

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, new rule seems to allow them now, how bloody annoying LOL, I did remove it for a fixed bar, but now they have changed the rules.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

bi22le

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
i have not touched my bias bar since i got the car! Its a good bragging point but im just too sacred to touch it!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SteveWalker

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
im just too sacred to touch it!

All genuflect towards bi22le!

RK

posted on 24/5/10 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
I can't get mine to do anything.
AdamR

posted on 24/5/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
Nope, new rule seems to allow them now, how bloody annoying LOL, I did remove it for a fixed bar, but now they have changed the rules.

Are you 100% sure about that? Bias bars have always been allowed AFAIK, but only if the brakes pass at every possible setting, which is very unlikely.

cd.thomson

posted on 24/5/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
no definitely not allowed unless fully welded along all threads.

I was tested against the latest edition last wednesday

Craig

BenB

posted on 24/5/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I can't get mine to do anything.

You can get some pills for that

marc n

posted on 24/5/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

no definitely not allowed unless fully welded along all threads. I was tested against the latest edition last wednesday

it was a known update that comes into effect at 9 am this morning i believe. you are allowed a bias bar assembly but the assembly once set must be fixed with a locking device to disable further adjustment. as far as im aware acceptable locking is a roll pin, lock nuts and spacers . pretty much anything that requires tools to remove.

im hoping to ring this afternoon and confirm the exact wording and will update on here as soon as i have full clarification

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blackbird Rush

posted on 24/5/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mine failed on this earlier in the month as i had not disabled the adjustment (just had a locknut) i knew it would fail but wanted to bea ble to set it up at the test, as it happened it passed where it was and all needed to do was weld it up, which i have now done!

Does seam strange that they would relent on the ruling and go back to the early SVA rule of just roll pin locking the bar??

Ash.

PeteS2k

posted on 24/5/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
That would've saved me a lot of hassle! Had to weld it, (fail on rear brake performance), cut it off, re-set a new one and get that welded to get a pass. Less than 2 weeks ago... And they did check it, too...

Ho hum. Water under the bridge...

wicket

posted on 24/5/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Gone back to how it was done in SVA days then.
eddie99

posted on 24/5/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I hope it is going back to the original SVA way.... Keep us posted!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
marc n

posted on 27/5/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
update for you all the new version of the manual is now released ( got the email this morning ) it still says version 4 but it is infact version 5
page 84 has the information, basically a sticker will need to be attached in the area around the bias adjuster with the wording in note 6 . i am having some made , cost to anyone who needs one is £2.50 plus the cost of a stamp

new manual found here

www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_Theme_files/124_IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual__Version_4_0510.pdf]new manual[/url]

best regards

marc

[Edited on 27/5/10 by marc n]

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 27/5/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
"Note 5: Bias bars and other mechanical adjusting devices fitted to twin master cylinders must be rendered inoperable by mechanical means
e.g. lockwiring of components."
From new regs as pointed out by Marc

40inches

posted on 27/5/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
Mine failed on this earlier in the month as i had not disabled the adjustment (just had a locknut) i knew it would fail but wanted to bea ble to set it up at the test, as it happened it passed where it was and all needed to do was weld it up, which i have now done!

Does seam strange that they would relent on the ruling and go back to the early SVA rule of just roll pin locking the bar??

Ash.

Drilling and wiring the lock nuts seems the easiest to do. Perhaps some one, with some engineering knowledge, at VOSA has twigged that once welded the unit is effectively foobared

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've often wondered whether welding the bias bar would weaken it in any way...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.