Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Minimum spend for a build on a show string budget?
gazzarose

posted on 8/6/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Minimum spend for a build on a show string budget?

Hi guys,

Recently started looking into getting a kit again after a year of growing up (bought a house and a dog). Just before swmbo decided to buy afor mentioned house I has nearly 4k in the bank just waiting til I decided what to build, but it went on a deposit instead. This time round theres not going to be a nice lump sump hanging around, probably manage to save 1.5k plus a donor by the winter. I've pretty much decided on an MNR, mainly because of the MX5 donor and also because it looks good with a windscreen. I've been in touch with Chris about prices, but just wanted to know what other people have spent on theirs. Ideally I'd be looking to have a windscreen, but will probably go through IVA without mainly due to costs. Do people generally buy most of the things they need from MNR or are there things that costs can be cut on my making/doing/refurbishing 2nd hand? It looks as though I'd buy the kit bit at a time so I can get on with the build this winter without spending a year or 2 savig up.

Your input would be gratefully received

Gareth

snapper

posted on 8/6/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I spent a long time building and for me it spread the cost quite well.
Now if I did it again I would buy the essentials which I consider to be the chassis and the bodywork which is specific to the manufacturer.
I certainly don't think MNR will go bust, but if anything did go wrong or they changed things then you could complete your build.
In your case it would be wise to get chassis, bodywork and screen in one go then the wishbones and uprights, everything else can be sourced as and when you need it.

[Edited on 8/6/10 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

GeorgeM

posted on 8/6/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

good choice !

cheapest way is to buy the kit without doner parts. You can get a MX5 cheap enough, but allow the time to strip & clean everything.

where abouts are you ?
Are you coming to Newark ?

GeorgeM

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

coozer

posted on 8/6/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
8K for mine OTR.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bluemoon

posted on 8/6/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Humm might be able to build a locost for that, but a kit not so sure, my MK cost 3-4K all in with screen (second hand)... That was a "budget" build using as much of the donner as I could took 5 years (but we did move 5 times, that didn't help!!) would have been quicker if we had bought the body work (use ali where possible)...

I think you might be best getting the doner striping cleaning+saving. We made do with MK starter kit and needed little else. As it happens (I think this is intentional) you can build the indy this way but use ali for the rest of the body, and that was pritty much all you needed for a basic car... More GRP would just speed up the build (and cost!)..

A second option might be to look for a part built kit (but this might end up costing more if you don't like the stuff you get!)..

A third would be to by a car that had SVA/IVA and strip/rebuild.. The Stylus that came up on Saturday for 1.5K but that had no MOT as it was off the road for 10 years is a best case example of this....

If you are set on the MNR I think you will need to take your time and save a little...

Cheers,

Dan

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/6/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
You are going to hate me for suggesting this but here goes ....look out for a cheap pinto powered mk of others and save a bundle.
Cheap cats old school go for 6 k from time to time

bassett

posted on 9/6/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I personally think you will need a hell of a lot more than that even if buy borrow and steal bits. For one an IVA test will cost around £500 and an MNR windscreen is not cheap. id say bare minimum £4k and £2k ready for when you need it. My relatively basic MNR Vortx with an R1 engine cost £8k-10k for MNR to provide it everything and if you remove the main donor bits like engine stuff £1300 and diff.shafts/steering/brakes £2000 leaving a considerable sum for the rest.

[Edited on 9/6/10 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Ivan

posted on 9/6/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would look around or wait for a partly completed car - you can often get them at a discount on the cost of kit and parts.

But maybe not wait too long or else there might be another addition to your life what with house, swmbo, dog, ______ (fill in the blank with three letter word that sounds like "Kit" but costs a whole lot more and takes about 9 months to get delivered and 24 years to complete)

[Edited on 9/6/10 by Ivan]

gazzarose

posted on 9/6/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I'd like to oreder and build my own car so i get the colour I want etc, and I know by starting budget is low. If it takes me a couple of years to get the car I want then I don't mind. Snappers idea of getting the chassis body work and windscreen then working from there is a good one, I just want to get it planned and started so I have something to aim for when I'm saving up, otherwise I'l save a few hundred quid then spend it on something silly.

Has anyone built a Vortex using just the standard MX5 bits? Does it go ok?I don't want something rediculously fast, but don't want to be embarrased by diesel Focus'. Do ford engines fit on the MX5 gearbox, so in the future I could fit a duratec? Or would a tubo kit for the 1.6 MX5 be easier. I quite like the idea of getting it on the road then as every year goes by develop the car.

Thanks again for the replies.

Gareth

bassett

posted on 10/6/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Getting the chassis, donor bits and bodwork is a good idea but leave the screen to the very end and just get through iva without as you dont want to have to fit wipers or demisters etc.

For the speed side of things a mx5 is playful so at half the weight i think it should be pretty good. There is definitely a few knocking around might be worth asking chris to get you in contact with the owners for a spin. Maybe opt for a 1.8 engine although i think the US tuning gear is based around the 1.6?

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.