Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortx Mazda
BigLee

posted on 23/10/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Vortx Mazda

Hi guys,

Thought it was about time I said hello!
I started building my Vortx Mazda in June, having paid my deposit in March. Opted for all the doner bits to be supplied by MNR from the car they had stripped. More expensive than doing it myself I know, but more of a space issue and keeping my neighbours happy! I've managed to get to rolling chassis stage with brakes almost complete. Struggling with a leak somewhere as everytime I get it with some pedal pressure, I'll leave it for 20 mins and the feel has gone. Gives me something to do on these freezing nights!
Engine ready to drop in now. A 1.6 MX5 unit with 60k on the clock. The idea is to IVA it as is, then route up the Greddy Turbo that's sat on my workbench. Should give around 175bhp but with a better shove of torque than the bike engine I'd previously planned.
Target for IVA is the spring. Just all the engine plumbing, wiring, interior........

Lee

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Car%20September.jpg

GeorgeM

posted on 23/10/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
looking good !

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

iain b

posted on 23/10/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
car looking well hope everything is going good wait to hear and see more photos as you go iain
daniel mason

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
excellent. i started in may but am way behind you by the look of things! good work

BigLee

posted on 24/10/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
excellent. i started in may but am way behind you by the look of things! good work

I don't know mate, it looks like you have lots of the internal stuff done. Where as I've worked on getting its wheels on. Inside it's not quite so complete. My wife went into a panic the other day as my 3 year old little girl put the key in the ignition and turned it! How it would cause any kind of damage with me stood in the big space where the engine sits is a mystery!!!
I'll try and get some more pics up soon.

Lee

first350

posted on 1/11/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
nice job - you've made great progress!!! I'd love to see more build pics...have any stored online somewhere??

I'm also building the Miata Vortx, but w/ a '99 1.8L donor.

I've decided to get the car running and drivable prior to installing any of the interior/exterior panels...I figure it'd be easier to have all that stuff out of the way when I'm trying to do wiring and trouble shooting. But that also means I'll have to leave some slack in the wiring and other components that would normally be affixed to the Scuttle or other body parts.

Here's a link to my build: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9631

BigLee

posted on 1/11/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by first350
nice job - you've made great progress!!! I'd love to see more build pics...have any stored online somewhere??

I'm also building the Miata Vortx, but w/ a '99 1.8L donor.

I've decided to get the car running and drivable prior to installing any of the interior/exterior panels...I figure it'd be easier to have all that stuff out of the way when I'm trying to do wiring and trouble shooting. But that also means I'll have to leave some slack in the wiring and other components that would normally be affixed to the Scuttle or other body parts.

Here's a link to my build: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9631

I keep checking on your progress. Great build blog. I actually have several photos of your chassis whilst it was being prepped for shipping. Checking the routing, wishbone orientation etc. In fact, I test fitted my rear wishbones to your chassis!
I would've liked to have built mine without the body etc in the same way you have, but with limited space I figured it was safer fastened to the car.
I have found myself head scratching on more than one occasion figuring bits out - all part of the fun I guess.

Enjoy!

Lee

first350

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
I keep checking on your progress. Great build blog. I actually have several photos of your chassis whilst it was being prepped for shipping. Checking the routing, wishbone orientation etc. In fact, I test fitted my rear wishbones to your chassis!
I would've liked to have built mine without the body etc in the same way you have, but with limited space I figured it was safer fastened to the car.
I have found myself head scratching on more than one occasion figuring bits out - all part of the fun I guess.

Enjoy!

Lee

Ah...makes sense why the bodywork is attached - I went back and forth w/ my wife and was finally able to store it in our guest room where it's safe (now I just need to complete the car before any guests visit, luckily Seattle is rather dreary this time of the year)

Any chance you can send me the pics of my chassis while it was being prepped??? I really wish I lived close enough to have visited MNR's shop!

Cheers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.