Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade Clutch Cable
GrahamC

posted on 18/6/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Blade Clutch Cable

Got the enigine in today, but had a small hiccup in attaching the clutch cable to the engine.

I'm using the MNR supplied cable; when I tried to pass it through the clutch-cable-bracket that is on the blade it wouldn't fit, so I took the bracket off and drilled it out to 10mm - now the MNR clutch cable passes through ok and provides a positive stop against the bracket.

However the inner cable is now waaaaaay too long. This kind of says that I need to fabricate a mounting bracket myself (seems a bit odd given that there was already one there which would have worked fine!) - so has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Cheers

Graham

PS Marc, if you read this I've sent you an urgent email off line - can you respond ASAP!

smart51

posted on 18/6/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
that, or you could make a new mounting bracket for the other end. keep the bike end as it is and move the outer further from the pedal. Don't know if that would be any better.
Lightning

posted on 18/6/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Got a ships chandlers to put on a new nipple and cut the cable. Have to say though works fine and had no problems at all

[Edited on 18/6/05 by Lightning]

Steve

tks

posted on 18/6/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
uhh

maybe its to late..

but passing an inner cable to an place is normally done just by making a way with an saw??

maybe i untherstand you wrong??

but if i don't you drilled something bigger
to pass the big cable end thing....

offcourse the outercable is smaller as that..soow what you needed was

an U hole...with the top of the U at the size of the cable..and the U radius an bit bigger for the inner cable..??

and not an complete hole for the 'ball' (to give the thing a name)

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

shortie

posted on 18/6/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem, told Mark and he said send the cable back, he then shortened it and sent a new one asap.

Rich.

andy d (rizla)

posted on 19/6/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
if you want inner cable they sell it at B&Q (i kid you not) about 60p a metre,this is what ive done with a solderless nipple each end,6000miles and alls well
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 19/6/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC
Got the enigine in today, but had a small hiccup in attaching the clutch cable to the engine.

I'm using the MNR supplied cable; when I tried to pass it through the clutch-cable-bracket that is on the blade it wouldn't fit, so I took the bracket off and drilled it out to 10mm - now the MNR clutch cable passes through ok and provides a positive stop against the bracket.

However the inner cable is now waaaaaay too long. This kind of says that I need to fabricate a mounting bracket myself (seems a bit odd given that there was already one there which would have worked fine!) - so has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Cheers

Graham

PS Marc, if you read this I've sent you an urgent email off line - can you respond ASAP!

which cable have you got

we used to have one made black outer cable that used a soldered nipple on the engine end and a solderless nipple on the pedal end.

the new ones are soldered nipple on clutch end and m5 rodend on the pedal end and is impossible for it to be too long

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dillinger1977

posted on 19/6/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n

which cable have you got

hes got mine

(edit) oops, tell a lie.. he robbed my gearchange cable, not the clutch

[Edited on 19/6/05 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

GrahamC

posted on 19/6/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
All, thanks for the responses. Marc, maybe I'm missing something here I guess I'll be having another look. Ive not got the black-outer cable, I've got the one as you describe.

The rose-jointed end is attached to the clutch pedal, the cable outer is flush against the engine-side of the off-side bulkhead directly in line with the bottom of the clutch pedal. The outer cable is then routed all the way around and through the (now larger) original mounting bracket. When all is said and done the inner cable seems to be about 40-50mm too long and so won't connect to the clutch mechanism on the blade.

I'll have another look tomorrow night and get back to you.

Cheers

Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.