Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track Rod Arm Extension Problem
smart51

posted on 29/7/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Track Rod Arm Extension Problem

Oops! I had my track rod arm extensions shortened because at their inmost setting the car had wild toe out (about 23° either side). I think I've overdone it with the shortening. Now that the car is sat on its wheels and all the bolts are tighened up, I think my track rod extensions are too short.

My R1 engine isn't fitted yet. The toe setting shouldn't change with the extra weight should it? that would equal bump steer, am I right?

The track rod ends and extensions are turned onto the track rods by 4 turns each at the right amount of toe out (the rears of the rims are 2.5mm closer together than the front of the rims). On an M14 x 2mm thread, 4 turns = 8mm. Is this enough or are my extension arms too short?

[Edited on 29-7-2005 by smart51]

smart51

posted on 29/7/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've thought of a possible solution, is it any good?
The extension screws into the rod end. there is a shoulder at the end of the thread on the extension. If I put a washer or spacer between the rod end and the extension then I won't lose any threads at this end but will gain them at the other end.
Is there anything wrong with this idea?

marc n

posted on 29/7/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
hi colin

didnt realise that you hadnt got the car on its wheels when you gave me the measurements and i shortened them for you,

you should have had the car on its wheels before you positioned the steering rack as per build manual, as this then insures you have correctly located the rack thus eliminating bump steer, and huge toe out !!!!!!

the other question mark is if you have the trackrod ends the correct way round ?????

would definately not recommend the washer route, unfortunately those extensions are now scrap

best give me a bell tomorrow and sort some more out

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 29/7/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
FOR SALE

For sale: 1 pair of medium sized track rod extensions. Fits Sierra track rods. Excelent condition - hardly used. Not suitable for use with an MNR VortX. Free to a good home
marc n

posted on 30/7/05 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
bugger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will be at the workshop from 9-30 - 2pm
today

but wont be there tomorrow, got some bloody gardening to do ,

with any luck though it might rain

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 30/7/05 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
For sale: 1 pair of medium sized track rod extensions. Fits Sierra track rods. Excelent condition - hardly used. Not suitable for use with an MNR VortX. Free to a good home

Might be just what I'm looking for! You have U2U

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

jimmyjonga

posted on 2/8/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
my extensions seemed to be too long as well.... i shortened things down a little and have things sorted now - i wonder if there is a dodgy batch of extensions??
james

smart51

posted on 2/8/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
most of the problem was me not doing it properly Even now, the ones sent to me wouldn't quite fit. If the thread went all the way down the hole, then it would be OK.

The originals went back to MNR and they didn't say they were wrong.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.