Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How many Lean / 6 sigma experts are on here?
Volvorsport

posted on 4/6/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm timesheets anyone ?

Claim any extra work outside of clocking on/out from your timesheet tho , gets a from the management .

just in time never works in a garage , because you dont know what parts you need until the job is here , then when you do want something , its got a 2 week leadtime , except production will have planned meticulously how long itll take you to do the job.....

and yes its automotive , we have 5s and 6 sigma , and all the other bullshit , but still cant organise a wee up in a brewery.....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

DarrenW

posted on 4/6/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
hmmm timesheets anyone ?

Claim any extra work outside of clocking on/out from your timesheet tho , gets a from the management .

just in time never works in a garage , because you dont know what parts you need until the job is here , then when you do want something , its got a 2 week leadtime , except production will have planned meticulously how long itll take you to do the job.....

and yes its automotive , we have 5s and 6 sigma , and all the other bullshit , but still cant organise a wee up in a brewery.....

Whilst you are correct up to a point in terms of never knowing what breakdowns will occur, there are without doubt a good number of the tools that can be applied.

Of course 5S would be the obvious starting point, but I would also do some Value Stream Mapping.

servicing and MOTS will be a regular part of most garage activities and iam convinced these can be standardised and then Kaizened. if these operations reflect a good % of the turnover then for sure any waste has a direct influence on profit and customer service.

Value Stream Mapping would highlight the need for efficient booking in of jobs, whin in turn will allow a good level of planning. You may say next that customers are unpredictable and can be late. Offer them a discount or cash incentive for being prompt and see what happens to your on time performance.

I could go on but interested in the response so far......

NS Dev

posted on 9/6/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I am qualified in various areas in this field, done while I worked for the Timken company.

there are some very useful lean tools, the big problem is that there is a LOT of skill required in knowing how and when to implement them.

The ONLY person I have ever worked with that knew what they were doing in this field was my boss at my last company before i left to set up my own business, that was Martin Dinsley, at Schlegel Automotive Europe ltd.

He knew all the "tools" (never sure I like that term, but suppose its the best description), as many people do, but also had the logical approach and interpersonal skills to put them into effect. I learnt more working for/with him that anywhere else in my life I think! This also reinforced in my mind the fact that I am definitely NOT a manager, and as that was the only way for me to "progress" within engineering industry, brought about my setting up Retropower Ltd with my brother!

Previous to this, my experience was of totally useless implementation at Timken in the uk, due to completely hopeless management by people who were no more a manager than any of the operators on the shop floor (which is where these "managers" originated, having worked their way up through atrition!) many of whom would have done a much better job!

We use all the principles of 5S at Retropower, most of it being logical, if not always easy to impress on employees! They did laugh when I painted the red "Mysteron eye" circles on the floor where the waste bins go, but now they can always find the bins................

Likewise it sounds a bit OTT when we mention our parts "manifest" system to customers, but it means that we know exactly which tray, in which pallet box, on which bay of racking, contains that fuel rail or brake caliper for one of the 20 cars we have completely stripped down in the workshop!

It also means that we know what parts count is at the platers, and which "kanban" trays are waiting to go there

We're not big enough to use much in the way of statistical tools though (yet!) so I can't be of much use there, as I've forgotten a lot of what I learnt! I do have a rather dated copy of JMP statistical analysis software if its any use!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 9/6/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
PS I did quite a lot of work with Toyota as well when working for Schlegel, very interesting stuff. Interesting to see the different approaches of their various suppliers too!

We worked as part of Toyota TEAM suppliers, and the experience ranged from truly dynamic companies, lead by enthusiastic management (Futaba Tenneco in Burnley springs to mind) who were open to suggestions, took action, and really were great to work with, meaning both they and the visiting companies benefitted from the "jolly", to others (zf lemforder) where the feeling I got was that they entire company percieved the TEAM process as an unnecessary nose into their affairs, they provided "token" problems within their processes that they had already "solved", and then glossed over any suggestions to improve systems.

It was interesting to see that the entire "feel" of the companies from the outset was reflected in their approaches, i.e. stuffy wood panelled boardrooms, lots of suits and ties, us and them culture with shop floor seemed to result in stuffy processes, dislike of time and motion type studies, general un-openness and unwillingness to change, vs companies with simple meeting rooms, near shop floor, company workwear worn by manager and floor alike (japanese style) proper "get hands dirty" style management seemed to result in stuff getitng done and progress being made, openness on the shop floor, time studies being welcomed, operators very happy to demonstrate processes etc etc.

There were moments in my career I have loved, and a few of those were working with Toyota and their suppliers, so much learnt!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Volvorsport

posted on 9/6/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
can you Kanban my volvo 242 rear arches for me.....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

sdh2903

posted on 9/6/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
My previous post may have seemed a little totally against the idea of 5s/6sigma. I work in the aerospace industry, where particularly during heavy maintenance checks the procedures around tooling, equipment, housekeeping etc are essential. But where my irks comes from is that these procedures to me are just common sense, the procedures are there for the numptys who don't know there arse from their elbow and usually reside in an office where the most technical job for them is adjusting their chair.

My other major irk is big companies, BA immediately spring to mind, throw a book at an office waller, and they become the 5S champion, no proper training no experience etc then they wonder why people don't buy into it. Only now 5 years later have they actually brought in an outside team to look at processes to reduce Airbus heavy maintenance times. Because these people have the knowledge people do pay more attention.

I am still of the opinion there's too much talking though

NS Dev

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
can you Kanban my volvo 242 rear arches for me.....

would think so, lol

wide ones or rot repair?

NS Dev

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

My other major irk is big companies, BA immediately spring to mind, throw a book at an office waller, and they become the 5S champion, no proper training no experience etc then they wonder why people don't buy into it. Only now 5 years later have they actually brought in an outside team to look at processes to reduce Airbus heavy maintenance times. Because these people have the knowledge people do pay more attention.

I am still of the opinion there's too much talking though

yep agree totally there! so many big companies underestimate the abilities of the guys wielding the spanners etc, and nothing guarantees a negative response more than an office waller (as you put it!) with no clue preaching from a hurriedly read book!

Volvorsport

posted on 10/6/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
rust repair , i did email ya , but no repsonse.....

im picking car up on on 29th june in belgium , i could deliver it straight off to you .

altho i need to go through it just to see what it needs , ill buy the repair panels , strip down whatever , just want the welding done and primer/rust killer , thats it .

its not actually that bad , but if it means i only have to do mechanical stuff to get it through MOT , then im happy ..

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.