BigMac

posted on 29/8/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzo
quote:
Originally posted by BigMac
the dash is actually a Koso
[Edited on 29/8/11 by BigMac]

Ahh, very good, where did you source that from? i was just about to get a new sender for my Fuel Guage to change to a Tube type sender.. I might price one of those gauges.. how does it pick up mileage? is see yours has 18k already lol did you get the dash 2nd hand?

Thanks mate, keen on this kind of install.. looks great!!

Funnily enough, a mate of mine had the same problem reading the gauge, it's actually done 1800 odd, the last digit is .9 of a mile! The gauge actually came with the car, but I found a place online that sells them (digitalspeeds.co.uk) that I may buy some accessories from (additional temp pickups etc). In terms of mileage, I'm not sure, it probably calculates that from the speedo sensor, no idea if I'm honest! I have the sensor pointing at the propshaft, rather than a drive shaft though. It's a cool little piece of kit to be honest, also got a built in shift light amongst other things!

beaver34

posted on 29/8/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
coming along great, mine and your look quite alike!

Mmmmm, I like! What section are those tyres?? > 205?? I was thinking about doing a full cage for mine at some point, what brand is that? Caged? Good looking piece of kit! I'm trying to get Carbon Mods to make me an aeroscreen out of the remaining Kevlar fabric, but no one's agreed yet. I'd settle for a Carbon one, but they've stopped making them!

Benzo- I ended up using Rustoleum's Gloss White colour, but thinking about it, Audi's White is a good one, that or the Balloon White used on Murcielago's, mmm! In terms of the gauges, the dash is actually a Koso rather than a specific bike one, you can buy an adaptor so you can use most senders with the gauge. Only problem I found though, is the fuel readout is difficult at best, no low fuel light either! The gauge came with the car and is good enough for me, for now... I may eventually swap everything for a Dash2 or similar...

thanks,

yes 205 50 front and rear 7" front and im going for 8" rear, was worried there too wide but came with the wheels so might aswell make the work

the cage is from caged seem good would be a little worried without a full one but maybe thats just me

my aero screen is just fibre glass, seem to do the job!

Benzo

posted on 29/8/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Benzo
quote:
the dash is actually a Koso

Ahh, very good, where did you source that from? i was just about to get a new sender for my Fuel Guage to change to a Tube type sender.. I might price one of those gauges.. how does it pick up mileage? is see yours has 18k already lol did you get the dash 2nd hand?

Thanks mate, keen on this kind of install.. looks great!!

Funnily enough, a mate of mine had the same problem reading the gauge, it's actually done 1800 odd, the last digit is .9 of a mile! The gauge actually came with the car, but I found a place online that sells them (digitalspeeds.co.uk) that I may buy some accessories from (additional temp pickups etc). In terms of mileage, I'm not sure, it probably calculates that from the speedo sensor, no idea if I'm honest! I have the sensor pointing at the propshaft, rather than a drive shaft though. It's a cool little piece of kit to be honest, also got a built in shift light amongst other things!

Yeah i really like it mate, i have to have one now, its my next job on the car, new Carbon blank dash and KOSO... I like Gismos!

BigMac

posted on 29/8/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so had a chance to do a quick demo of the dash and switchgear now that it's all working, simple stuff to everyone on here, but am proud of the fact I've managed to do it all myself!

Das h Demo

Just a few more minor jobs to do now, throttle cable, clutch cable adjustment, torque everything up, cycle wing fitment and a brake bleed, then it's ready for it's MOT!

johnny chimpo

posted on 5/9/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of seats are they and where did you get them? Im looking to replace my padded vinyl set for something similar to what you have.

Cheers

JC

BigMac

posted on 5/9/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi JC- dropped you a PM r.e. the seats.

OK, so the latest is that the bloody engine won't start now- still not too sure why, but took the plugs out this evening and they're wet with petrol, so looks like the thing has flooded, still concerned as to how that happened!

Also did a test fit of the rear fog light, too. It's stuck on from the outside currently, rather than inside out, but at least it works!

BigMac

posted on 10/9/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Well that was fun, borrowed a Gunsons Eezibleed kit from the father to get the brakes bled, all hooked up, no leaks. Bled the nearside rear, offside rear, nearside front, then come to do the last wheel and get nothing but air... The eezibleed kit was that old, the tube in the bottle had dislodged from the top, resulting in the MC being completely dry... Couple that with the fact the bike engine won't start and it's been a pretty s*** weekend so far...
Steve Hignett

posted on 10/9/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Even with an easibleed - I always use two people to do brakes - it's just an area of a faster car that I put faith in!

Give me a shout, I'll help you do them matey.....

BigMac

posted on 12/9/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Even with an easibleed - I always use two people to do brakes - it's just an area of a faster car that I put faith in!

Give me a shout, I'll help you do them matey.....

Cheers Steve, will give you a call or drop by soon (work's keeping me away from the car still!)

BigMac

posted on 17/9/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thought it was time for another update!

Decided that with Winter making itself more visible by the day, the car isn't going back on the road this year now, I won't get enough enjoyment out of it for the money I'd spend taxing, fully insuring and MOT'ing. Decided I can work on the last few little bits over the winter, as and when I get chance.

So the bike loom has come back off the car for now, no major obvious defects that would cause the starting problem, but I'm guessing closer inspection will probably find the fault. My thoughts are it's been in and worked, so it's either a faulty connection (i.e. a wire's come loose from a crimp) or I've accidentally snipped something when tidying up the cable ties... Decided that while it's out I'm going to solder and heatshrink the crimped connections, just for my peace of mind. Either way, I WILL find what's wrong with it!!

Been working on the brakes recently as previously posted, despite pushing litres of fluid through and there being no air coming out of the bleed nipples at any brake caliper, I still have no pedal. Had a friend come round today to take a look over, we're guessing it could be goosed seals- the cylinder's been sitting dry for months and inspection under the rubber boot did find some signs of that. Need to find out if I can get a replacement seal kit for my MC, or whether I'll need to get a new one. Am tempted by a new one or a tandem set, whilst I'm at it.

Aside the engine starting and brake issues, all the other little jobs are progressing well. The Project Management side of me has finally shown itself, as I now have an MS Project Plan hanging in the garage showing everything that needs doing, I just pick a few tasks a day and cross them off the list, makes me feel a whole lot better!

Ta,
Ben.

YODI

posted on 21/9/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic car, love the build but remain unsure about the paint, almost like it deserved much better as the last pic with the foglight shows the orange peel. Saying that the car looks great, loving the kevlar touch too.
RK

posted on 21/9/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work!
BigMac

posted on 29/9/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YODI
Fantastic car, love the build but remain unsure about the paint, almost like it deserved much better as the last pic with the foglight shows the orange peel. Saying that the car looks great, loving the kevlar touch too.

Thanks Yodi :-) At the moment I've not had chance to flat everything back and polish due to the mechanical/electrical issues that have been occuring, but needless to say it will get done! Here's one car that has been done that I found during my research, needless to say I'm well aware of the amount of work that needs to go in, to get this finish!

BigMac

posted on 10/10/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
OK, time for another update!

Still haven't found the issue with the engine yet, but I'm putting that to one side until the rest is finished (thanks to everyone who's been offering ideas and suggestions for troubleshooting!). I'm finding it much easier to cope with the last few bits of the build remaining by using a task list, it's properly satisfying to be able to cross a few jobs off the list each night!

I'll upload pictures later, but other little jobs done since my last update:

* Bonnet catches fitted- need I say more really;
* Cycle wings fitted along with mudguard material- the definately are NOT coming off! Ground the wing brackets back to bare metal, scored the underside of the wings, bonded and riveted in. The mudguard material makes a great finishing touch! Arches have been lacquered several times, just need polishing up to bring back to the shine (they look Matte at the moment);
* Exhaust manifold surround built and fitted- cut from a spare piece of Kevlar I had lying around, the clearance between the sides and the manifold are better than last time, again, just adds that finishing touch!;
* Properly fitted the fog light and covered the reverse light hole.

Still a few jobs left to do, but majority should be done before the week is out, providing I get the time to do it all!

Ta!
Ben.

JeffJeffers

posted on 9/12/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have you managed to get your engine running yet it has been a while since you have updated?
BigMac

posted on 21/12/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffJeffers
Have you managed to get your engine running yet it has been a while since you have updated?

In short, No. :-(

I spent a while going over the loom, replacing all the crimped connections with soldered, heatshrinked joints. The loom is back on the car, I just need to reconnect it to a power supply and try. Call me a coward here, but I've put off doing even that just because I can't bear it to not start! I really am 'boned' if it doesn't start, as I've checked everything I can check!

BigMac

posted on 9/1/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Decided I'm long overdue an update on this thread! Some of you may have noticed I've been paying closer attention to my other thread!

I'm very nearly there with the rebuild now. Whilst I've been figuring out the starting issues (nearly there on that too), I've been motoring away on the other jobs- fitting grilles, tidying up wiring etc. Also tidied up and fitted my CSR style wings and mud guards, quite impressed with these if I'm honest! One thing I need to do is give them a couple of coats of lacquer to get them nice and shiny again. Followed Mr Hignett's advice on fitting them, doubt they'll be coming off anytime soon ;-)

There's a few final fiddly bits to do- primarily getting some touch up paint from the guys who did my chassis and go over where I've damaged the paint (learning point, not having it epoxy painted again!). Oh, and also finding the damn original keyring as it's got the key for the fuel filler cap!

Short of getting it started, a brake bleed and a basic geo setup, it's ready for it's MOT :-)

Pictures (eagle eyed viewers will notice the lack of wiring going into the CBS module, that's because I did it after taking the pictures )

Thanks,

Ben.

[Edited on 9/1/12 by BigMac]

JeffJeffers

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good now. A lot different from when I 1st saw the pile of parts in your garage.
BigMac

posted on 21/2/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

Haven't updated the thread in a while since my starting woes, so figured it's time for an update.

I've been doing nothing but diagnostics on the loom in an attempt to find out why it's not starting- still no luck, despite everyone's helpful advice and pointers. Decided that I've spent enough time on fault finding, so have been recommended a local automotive sparky who's coming over on Saturday. I think someone with plenty of experience of electrical fault finding will probably be able to tell me pretty quickly what's wrong.

The electrics have knocked my enthusiasm in the build, it has to be said. I have been trying to do other bits and pieces to keep me going, like flatting back some of the paintwork ready for a finishing polish, but I'm running out of things to do!

Have also finally ordered a new Master Cylinder from Westfield which should be with me tomorrow. So brakes should be sorted by the end of the week, too.

Other than the electrics, it's practically finished now. So- I'll update you all when we've looked at these electrics on Saturday!

Ta,

Ben.

BigMac

posted on 26/2/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so a good weekend as far as the rebuild goes!

The car is now starting, well, the starting problem is fixed, I just seem to have run out of fuel...

Decided as the weather was good to first of all give the garage a good clear/brush out- I always feel much better working in a 'clean' garage.

Aside from spending most of the day clearing the garage, I also got round the fitting my Kevlar NACA duct to the nosecone. Decided to take a great deal of time with this, else it was a nosecone (and more importantly Mrs BigMac's paint job) in the bin, I'll let you draw you own conclusions as to which of the two would have landed me in trouble...

So at the moment the whole thing is sealed in place- it doesn't look the best right now, but I had to use something I could mould around the edges to form a seal between the flange and the bodywork. I know it looks messy, but once the sealant has dried over the next day or two, I'll run a blade around the edge and tidy up the overspill. Worst case, I can flat it back and touch it up- I do have 2 litres of touch up paint left...

Also fitted the new Master Cylinder from Westfield on Thursday, brakes have been bled and I'm getting some pedal, but it's no-where near right. I'm thinking that my front calipers are leaking and drawing air back into the system when you release the pedal. Some more diagnosis to do yet on that front.

Short of sorting out brakes and tidying up the loom (again), it'll back on the road very soon...

Pics:

The new NACA duct mounted to the nose cone, as soon as the sealants had time to dry the edges will be cleaned up properly

Have run some flexi-hose from the duct to the bottom of the air filter (the top gets plenty of fresh air from the bonnet vent already)

Cycle wings still need a new coat or two of lacquer to bring back the shine

Also need to cut the offside wing off at an angle to match the nearside

JeffJeffers

posted on 26/2/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Car is looking really good. Its always nice when you get it running especially when its an easy fix.
Bet you can't wait to get it on the road again.

ceebmoj

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

[Edited on 9/1/12 by BigMac]

Where did the wings come from? They look good.

andyfiggy2002
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 10/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: built megablade in 2004 & ive still got it

posted on 27/2/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
so are you going to tell what you did to get it started? im sure all the guys that have added their pennys worth of help would love to know
JeffJeffers

posted on 27/2/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyfiggy2002
so are you going to tell what you did to get it started? im sure all the guys that have added their pennys worth of help would love to know

I'm guessing put some fuel in it reading his last post

BigMac

posted on 27/2/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys- the full problem has been described at length in this thread, but let's just summarise it by saying it was a dodgy earth connection that I've now rectified!

ceebmoj - Thank you, the wings came from a friend on here, but were originally made by Carbon Mods and are designed to replicate the Caterham CSR style wings, the addition of the mud-flaps at the back are my little addition!

Jamie- yes, can't wait to get it back on the road, here's hoping that the lack of pedal feel is just the front calipers and not the rears too!

Thanks,

Ben.

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.