Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR - 2 weeks to go (hopefully)
antwan

posted on 19/5/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
MNR - 2 weeks to go (hopefully)

Hi all,
I have taken the plunge and ordered an MNR vortex and hopefully receive it within the next 2 weeks or so. A thank you to all who replied to my previous queries and the guys (The Venom Project) who I met up at MNR a few weeks back. A thanks to Daniel too for the inspiration for the yellow chassis! (And to Mark and Chris)

Hope to be speaking to you all soon regarding the inevitable build queries!

Venom chaps - are you sorted with your fuel and leaky brakes yet? How far off IVA?

zekill

posted on 19/5/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations and good luck with your kit.
I think buy mine soon.

daniel mason

posted on 19/5/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
a good choice mate! take it you also have yellow chassis?

antwan

posted on 21/5/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yellow chassis, absolutely! I will be going for the slightly less mental BMW 318is version. The S2000 is a really great option (where budget allows!). Thanks for the photo link. I will have to learn how to use this forum and upload the photos once I get going.
Thanks again a best of luck
Ant

Krismc

posted on 22/5/10 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antwan
Yellow chassis, absolutely! I will be going for the slightly less mental BMW 318is version. The S2000 is a really great option (where budget allows!). Thanks for the photo link. I will have to learn how to use this forum and upload the photos once I get going.
Ant

...this may help.... http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/faq.php?page=misc#1

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

johnay

posted on 25/9/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antwan
Ant

How is the BMW build progressing?

I`ve got my donor and will be talking to MNR soon.

antwan

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Wondered why this topic had jumped to the top. Anyone as crrr@@p as me using a computer!

BMW build is going really well. Its nice to see that the individual small tasks can be completed in managable chunks which always seem to yield a result, great feeling! Summary of what I have done so far:
Brake lines in (nice first job, got me over the fear of drilling holes!)
Fuel lines
Tank
Diff
Prop shaft
Most electrics
Steering column
Ali panels

Spent probably 7 weeks so far of very much part time working, about 3 on mechanicals and 4 on electrics. Bearing in mind I am DEFINITELY NOT an electrician, the electrics are going well although I would have been utterly scuppered without the full electrical diagrams I found on the interweb. Let me know your email and I will send on.
Although most circuits you dont need as we dont have any doors, windscreen etc etc the remainder I have kept as per the electrical diagrams for future reference. I have kept all the boxes and installed in the car to hopefully stand the best chance of it starting again. I have kept the bmw EWSII immobiliser as this speaks to the DMS, key reader, key and central body electronics module and I wasnt sure of the effect of removing any of these (plus theres the bonus of the security as the DMS is matched to the key chips).

I did try to make the loom fit as supplied but ended up removing all electrical tape and customising. For this you need limitless patience and a good back!

I have had a couple of development type issues one of which was the fuel tank straps (an easy one to sort yourself) and latest being a clash with the clutch master cylinder as I am using the larger 16V engine which for a 1.8 is massive!

Any issues give us a shout. I am keeping a good photo record of the build. Good luck with your collection... exciting stuff!

johnay

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I will be using the same engine, is it much of a problem.
antwan

posted on 30/9/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I can see just yet. Need to use a small clutch master cylinder as there is no space for one incl res.

Like I said the engine is huge predominantly due to the variable length intake manifold. You wont be using PS or AC units so reconfig of serpentine belt is needed. I removed the auto tensioner, rotated round by 180 deg and made my own tensioner, not too difficult.

Only issue can be with the electrics as all boxes talk to each other before the engine is allowed to fire. Even inputs from door lock switches. This will be my only issue. Im a MECHANICAL engineer (for good reason!).

johnay

posted on 30/9/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible use a remote reservoir on the original clutch master cylinder,

I will be using the M44 engine out of a 318is, you will have to show me how you altered the tensioner.

franky

posted on 5/10/10 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
what other BMW parts does the MNR use? uprights/steering/wheel flanges/fuel pumps etc?

Remember with the EWS to save the ring antenna too Great engine choice with the 318.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.