Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bad cooling design MNR - Upgrade !
sorens2

posted on 13/7/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bad cooling design MNR - Upgrade !

I asked Chris @ MNR if I would have any cooling problems when driving The Ring in 30 deg.
Nooo problem he says.
But it runs warm.
So I cut a little alu to block some of the air around it.
Cooling is much better now.
Especially when standing still.

Soren S2 Rescued attachment 1234.jpg
Rescued attachment 1234.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sorens2

posted on 13/7/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
--- Rescued attachment 2345.jpg
Rescued attachment 2345.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 13/7/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nice mod. I imagine it's not doing aerodynamics any favour being in that orientation (the ali plates) but on a 7 roadster, I think that's a drop in the ocean as far as drag is concerned!
john_p_b

posted on 14/7/10 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
nice mod, something i've been thinking about doing to my indy for some time now so the air actually goes through the rad rather than around it!

i very much doubt it'll make any difference to the aerodynamics of the car as it's not like any air entering the engine bay has a clear route back out anyway.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Agriv8

posted on 14/7/10 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
ducted my V8 mnr to make sire as much went through the rad as possible ( rather than round )

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

BenB

posted on 14/7/10 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Nice mod. I also would have been tempted to angle the side plates to "force" air into the rad rather than just preventing it from going round the sides but as said, from an aero point of view its a drop in the ocean of badness
Frosty

posted on 14/7/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
There was a thread on the WSCC a while back about a similar modification, which sparked a lot of debate as to its effectiveness. It made interesting reading, but I can't find it anywhere though!
02GF74

posted on 14/7/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm. not the way I would do it.

Admittedly all the air entering the nose cone must pass through the radiator but when the air hits the solid part, it does what? Does it help air flowing into the radiator or disrupts its flow?

A better way would be to have angled plates from the nose cone opening to the sides of the radiator to funnel the air through it.

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 14/7/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've used angled bits into the radiator, and it was effective.
I also opened up some air entrances (using naca ducts) so the is some cool air circulation arounf the engine...

Bluemoon

posted on 14/7/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoaoCaldeira
I've used angled bits into the radiator, and it was effective.
I also opened up some air entrances (using naca ducts) so the is some cool air circulation arounf the engine...

That's a good point, you might find the under-bonnet temperatures going up as the air is heated by the rad on the way to the engine bay, without any additional cold feed (i.e. around the rad sides). Would be interesting to see if you have seen that happen?

Dan

Canada EH!

posted on 14/7/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
That is the way air is channeled in aircooled aircraft engines. There is an orange coloured rubber or silicone product used for the purpose that is riveted to the ali, probably lighter than what you have used. Good work.
RK

posted on 14/7/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
i like it. Oddly, I have noticed that my engine runs cooler with the nosecone on, so it can't hurt to add that, can it!?
sorens2

posted on 14/7/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well......

I drove it on the Ring 2 weeks ago in 28 deg. Sun.
It ran hot. 105-110 deg. driving the Ring.
When I parked in the queue out from the Ring it ran above 110 deg.

With this mod it stays under 100 deg. driving and under 95 deg. in queue. Weather beeing 32 deg. Sunny.

So it works.

If you funnel it into the radiator, you make a high pressure area in front af the radiator.
This makes a hoovercraft effect in front of the nosecone.
Meaning that the air slows down and very little coes into the nose.
That is in some cases.

I did make small holes so some air vents the enginebay.

Soren S2 Rescued attachment 123456789.jpg
Rescued attachment 123456789.jpg

sorens2

posted on 14/7/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
And I guess that as the entire enginebay is open downwards some air will flow trough the bay.

Soren S2

sorens2

posted on 14/7/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
--- Rescued attachment 121212.jpg
Rescued attachment 121212.jpg

Johneturbo

posted on 22/7/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Think i'll do this mod asap after running a bit hotter than i wanted @ Abingdon trackday

any chance you could put the photos up again just so i can copy the design

Kriss

posted on 20/8/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
i dont get how it has a 10 deg benefit in standstill traffic as there is no flow to channel?
40inches

posted on 20/8/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kriss
i dont get how it has a 10 deg benefit in standstill traffic as there is no flow to channel?

Electric fan? When you are stood hot air will rise up to the top of the nosecone and be sucked down and through the rad, with the front of the rad sealed from the engine bay the fan can only suck in cold air

sorens2

posted on 20/8/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly.

Soren S2

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.