Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 engine mounting
Jaysun370

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
R1 engine mounting

Hey guys,

I'm putting in a 2008 R1 engine and i just wondered what others did with the engine casing mounting.

In the bike there are two long bolts that go through the casing, however i was initially provided with m12 bolts but there is no thread in the casing, and subsequently with M12 threaded bar, however the casing holes are approx 11mm.
MNR have advised drilling out the entire length of the engine case to accomodate the M12 bar, but i dont have the resources to be able to do this.

I've seen from a few pictures that most installations are using bolts, can anyone tell me if they have threaded or helicoiled the engine case.

Looking for any options at this point please.

Thanks

Jason

adithorp

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
On my 06 R1 I used long bolts right through. From memory they were M10 and fitted the holes, but I couldn't swear to the size (17mm heads).

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MK9R

posted on 19/10/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at dans site:-
http://www.danstuff.info/furyracer.html

My plan is to build a cradle that will come in and out with the engine rather than individual mounts

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 19/10/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
when i fitted my 05R1, MNR advised to tap out the lower and upper mounts to M12. so used the supplied bolts.

The mounts by the Tb's are already tapped to M10 fine thread.

not sure if the 08 is the same

dmac

posted on 19/10/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Contact your local Yamaha dealer to purchase the correct bolts. Threaded rod is not a good idea and drilling it out to a larger diameter over that length is asking for trouble.

Duncan

Jaysun370

posted on 12/11/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies, i've been away for a few weeks so only have just had chance to login.

Looking at some of the photographs of other builds i can see the bolt heads so i guess the general thinking is to thread the engine casing and use M12 bolts.

I have been advised by someone who builds custom bikes not to drill out the length of the casing, as posted above it just invites all sorts of issues and the engine will probably not sit secure.

So i guess its work out how to thread, or as suggested get hold of the correct mounting bolts from Yamaha and make these fit.

Thanks again

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.