Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan Leaf Range
britishtrident

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan Leaf Range

What do you think the range of a Nissan Leaf is ?

From the US Federal EPA's L4 test cycle
Highway 55MPH with A/C on 70Miles

At least one person I know tells me that is way optimistic as soon as you turn the heater on the predicted range on the dashboard display drops to below 50 miles --- it is like buying a Nissan Micra with a one gallon petrol tank.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

PSpirine

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Given they should start shipping fairly soon, I think we'll find out pretty quickly what the real world expectations are.. I'd imagine it's somewhere in the region of 50 if you've got the heater on, but I personally think even that will be more than enough for the people that will be buying the first ones - for use in London etc. Lack of charging points wouldn't be a problem either as they'll most likely only need to charge them overnight at home.

Either way, it's 20 miles to work for me, and I sure as hell wouldn't mind one!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
My weekday driving is about 6 miles each way - an electric car would be perfect, but there's no way I could justify the ridiculously high purchase price. Also, as batteries have a limited life, how much would a new battery pack cost in a few years time?

Also, how long will it be before the government find some way of taxing the electricity they use? It's only a matter of time, as they become more popular.

It's still very hard to beat the petrol engine for useful life and convenience... shame it's running out.

BenB

posted on 2/1/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
The real world mileage will be much less when people are using the heaters for the simple reason that most will be used in cities where traffic is a problem. And all the time the heater runs (whilst sat in traffic) the milegage will drop and drop and drop.... And they're blooming expensive for basically a Micra.
smart51

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have one tomorrow at half the price. 13 miles each way to work is well within the electric car's range, even with all the gizmos switched on. No problem. People without a drive might struggle though.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
50 mile range is more than enough for most people on a daily bases
there are always people who look for the negatives rather than the positives
like i said its a start and can only get better with time

[Edited on 1/2/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

MikeR

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The gov already taxes electricity - they'll just raise the price when everyone has swapped over to electric cars.

As for the car - if someone gave me one i'd love it. Perfect for when i had my old job 8 miles away. Ideal now for our nipping round to the mother in laws / sister in laws or round to my mates. Only issue would be drives to see my family a hundred miles away - but i've got a diesel focus for that.

If someone asked me to pay for one ........... i'd get a petrol / diesel car instead.

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed, I think the idea will take some getting used to, but a short range electric car will suit a massive proportion of the population. The long distance problem is easy to overcome too. In Brighton, and I suspect most other cities/towns, there are loads of car clubs where you hire a car by the hour. A much better solution than owning one for the occasional long journey.
And best of all, this preserves petrol for those who need it most

britishtrident

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

The hydrogen economy is the way things are going to go either for use in fuel cells or in a combustion engine.

The thing is 50 mile range might be fine for planned driving to work , but what happens if you get home from work and get a phone message that your gran/mum/aunt who lives 20 miles away and has been taken ill.

[Edited on 4/1/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jonte

posted on 2/1/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The thing is 50 mile range might be fine for planned driving to work , but what happens if you get home from work and get a phone message that your gran/mum/aunt who lives 20 miles away and has been taken ill.

You get in your Se7en and floor it

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRC INDY 7

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

That must be another negative from you what if what if You stick with you're rover it may or may not make the journey
And if you look on the Nissan web site it says 100 mile with ac/heating switched off

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
batteries - you dont own the batteries - they will be in the price of the car but on 'loan' if they die - you get new ones. there will be changing station installed soon where you can swap them in just 3 minutes all automatically.

cost - the price is high right now but once demand goes higher it should come down with market pressure - it usually does - remember when cd players first came out? plus your not buying fuel, there is less moving parts to service, tax? lower insurance. money will be returned slowly

PSpirine - 'Given they should start shipping fairly soon' not yet we arent - the battery plant is still being built for it! we currently have about 4 hand made cars for evaluation. the cars are already on sale in japan and are a hit big time. if it was me i would need a 2nd car tho - distances are just too great.

the battery range will get better and better in the next few years watch this space.. already it has doubled from what it was a few years back.

heaters - normal engines get heat from a hot engine - electric cars hant got a hot engine - so how do you get heat? bet you cant guess???

its not the same size as a micra mind you - more focus size

there are lots of new problems with electric cars that people dont see - and that costs money to develop out. for example water sealing motors - its not as easy as you think.. modern cars are tough - they HAVE to meet government and european and company regulations - every year it gets harder - and im not talking about emissions - material selection for environmental conditions coupled with being able to recycle that same material - the cars have to have a percentage recyclability. that is not easy

the companies are very aware of costs to the customer and are trying very hard to bring it down - when suppliers get greedy because thier own overheads are high due to not being efficient it passes on to the customer somehere

Humbug

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
In addition to the above concerns about range/location of charging points/unplanned diversions from a limited route, I would like to know what the environmental impact is comparing the whole life of the car with a normal Micra:

Metal, etc. production for the body (presumably similar for both)
Extraction/production of the materials for the batteries (on the leccy one)
Fuel (oil extraction and conversion into petrol vs use of fuel to produce electricity)
Recyclability vs scrapping of all parts (including batteries)

you get the picture.

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
In addition to the above concerns about range/location of charging points/unplanned diversions from a limited route, I would like to know what the environmental impact is comparing the whole life of the car with a normal Micra:

Metal, etc. production for the body (presumably similar for both)
Extraction/production of the materials for the batteries (on the leccy one)
Fuel (oil extraction and conversion into petrol vs use of fuel to produce electricity)
Recyclability vs scrapping of all parts (including batteries)

you get the picture.

no different to any other car - bag of!

the only true green car is one you keep - replace it it kills the earth - END OF.

coozer

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have one if they werent so dear, in fact I'd buy any car but to me they are all too expensive.

The battery's are loaned and as Terry says the plan is for service places that swap you for full charged batery setup.

I just wonder what hapens say in 7 years time when the warranty runs out and the car is on its second, oe more, owner.

Will Nissan uphold the warranty on the batteries?

Steve

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/1/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
How can be they advertising this thing as the car of the year 2011?
russbost

posted on 2/1/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT, but how do they operate the heater? Unless the motor itself gets hot enough to generate sufficient heat for the cabin the only other way I can see is to use a heater much like an electric fire at home, ie air blown over hot wires. So not only do you need to run a significant size fan, but you need something around 1kw or more of electric power just for the heating element - surely this would crucify the batteries????

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JoelP

posted on 2/1/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
if i remember the review in a car magazine i read last week, it would take 300,000 miles to break even over a golf 1.6 diesel. Not worth it for now, but it will get better with time.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/1/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by :{THC}:YosamiteSam
batteries - you dont own the batteries - they will be in the price of the car but on 'loan' if they die - you get new ones. there will be changing station installed soon where you can swap them in just 3 minutes all automatically.

Bingo that solves the common problem of range, but I still think that range needs to be a good 100 miles. These cars should be aiming to replace ALL cars and tbh I shouldn't have to go to the "petrol station" twice just to visit my parents every weekend.

Also as a taxi driver I often did 100-150 miles a day (not including going home) and sometimes that's just one fare, there's coming back too.

Not to besmirch them but there's still improvement needed before the become mainstream.

I saw something about them not heating the cab in the conventional way too, what happens is they use the heated window (like your back one) and seat heaters.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'll just wait for the hydrogen fuel-cell cars... also electric, but won't rely on batteries (well, maybe not so big and not for normal running).

But until then I'll keep buying and burning hydrocarbons.

Not trying to be negative, as I'd love one of these. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on it.

[Edited on 2/1/11 by David Jenkins]

Ninehigh

posted on 2/1/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Maybe I'll just wait for the hydrogen fuel-cell cars... also electric, but won't rely on batteries (well, maybe not so big and not for normal running).

But until then I'll keep buying and burning hydrocarbons.

Not trying to be negative, as I'd love one of these. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on it.

[Edited on 2/1/11 by David Jenkins]

Don't hold your breath, I've been telling Honda for about 3 years that the UK is screaming for a car that doesn't cost £1.30 a litre

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
na. Now i dont really know the way it works as the cars are still top secretly stored. BUT i do know that the heat is generated from the brakes somehow. The tech must be new as i cant see how unless its using a kers type theory. The batteries range will be better and better as technology grinds on. They have told us officially they are aiming for 200 miles in a few years.
Guinness

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
The major problem with electric cars, IMHO, is that the electricity has to come from somewhere.

Years of nimbyism, green lobbying and anti nuke protests have seen power supplies in the UK and the national grid come close to breaking point. The grid can only just supply the electricity we already use, without adding transport to the load.

It'll take years to build new power stations to cope with the increase in demand.

RazMan

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think that Jaguar have got the right idea - 2 tiny turbines acting like enormous battery chargers. If the power management is good, you can minimise the size of the batteries and power the car's leccy motors direct from one turbine and have the other one charging the batteries - that solves the heater problem too as jet engines produce a bit of heat don't they?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 2/1/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
How can be they advertising this thing as the car of the year 2011?

Lol yea just seen the ad on tv. Jeez. We laughed when it was announced that it was in the last few cars. From what iv heard its a panel of journalists that vote.. Hmmm how the hell? Who has given a backhander to who? Lol

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.