Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: draining compressor
blakep82

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
draining compressor

I have to admit, I'm not very good at draining my compressor after I've used it, which is bad, and I guess in the long run, dangerous.

Its in a very awkward place, not easy to turn, and not easy to tighten and seal after its drained. I'm looking at trying a modification to make it easier

What size thread is the drain screw likely to be? I guess they're generally standard? Its a clarke 150l one.
I thought 1/4" npt, but when I look for bits, they're in america, and the ones here are 1/4" bsp?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fred W B

posted on 19/2/13 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
In the small sizes BSP and NPT are so close as to make no practical difference.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

r1_pete

posted on 19/2/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find the fitting in the tank which the drain screw assembly fits into is 1/4" BSP, the thread will be about 1/2 dia but tapered.

[Edited on 19/2/13 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 19/2/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
My compressor had a 1/8"bsp drain cock that was a fiddly critter to get at. I extended it with copper pipe and put a 1/4 turn valve that pointed to a srain just outside my garage door.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 19/2/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, machine mart seem to sell 3/8" drain taps, a 3/8" to 1/4 reducer, and then nothing else of any useful size that fits either
www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/guid/E05B1C89-438D-4C1A-869F-253E794EAA6E?da=1&TC=SRC-drain+tap

The plan is to stick a ball valve on it somehow. I guess I'll have to go in the shop next time I'm there to get bits I need

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NS Dev

posted on 25/2/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
240v timer relay and 240v solenoid valve if you want to get really clever

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 25/2/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't even know you had to drain them!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blakep82

posted on 25/2/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha Nat, im not made of money! And doesnt have power to it unless im using it. Though a 240v solenoid valve and a switch on a spur from the 32a plug...
Keep it simple! Ha ha, guess I'll have to get the tap out and take it to machine mart or something for the right size

Yep joel, get it drained! Bottom of the tank, open the valve. Get a video of how much comes out :O

NS Dev

posted on 26/2/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
In humid conditions our workshop one generates a couple of litres a day, and the blasting compressor, well, in a 6 hour session there's a LOT of water from the two separators, but that is 50hp 130cfm!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

blakep82

posted on 26/2/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
mines only on when i use it, which isn't much. when i open the tap, the most i've had is a few ml really, but i don't drain it as often as i should...

a few elbow pipes and a ball valve will do the trick i think

posted on 26/2/13 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of using nylon?

A 1/4" bsp swivel elbow. (with reducing bush if you have a larger drain plug)
Length of nylon tube. (6mm dia would be plenty)
Straight connector. (6mm to 1/4 bsp)
1/4" ball valve

As your drain is awkward to get to you would end up with a remote drain point.

My air lines that run around my workshop roof are all push fit nylon.

Cheers,
Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.