Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The true cost of a kit build...
Twin40

posted on 7/3/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
The true cost of a kit build...

Tough day today, i've just sat down and added up the final cost of the Mk Indy build. I knew it was going to be a bit more than normal as i'd chosen some higher spec parts but it was certainly more than i had ever initially estimated!

I could have bought a race ready CSR for the same budget. Or even a brand new AB performance Sabre!

Anybody else ever had days like this?! I daren't tell the missus - she'll kill me!!

Off to the pub to recover now....

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 7/3/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, know exactly how you feel!

I had a big tidy up at home the other day, and filed all lingering paperwork away. Worryingly, I have almost managed to fill a lever arch folder with all receipts for my build thus far, and there's still some more to go. Admittedly this does include odds and sods such as packs of nuts, bolts and fastners etc., but I know I'm going to get a massive shock if I was to ever sit down and tally everything up exactly.

Just remember the famous words "Yes dear, it only cost £10 from eBay...."

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

emwmarine

posted on 7/3/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Noooooo.... you must never do this. This the path to disillusionment and true unhappiness and also the certainty that in knowing this information, the true boss of the household will somehow find out and then even greater unhappiness.

I do wonder, given the difficulty of passing IVA and the cost of kit builds, I am assuming that fewer numbers of kits are being built than before but those that are being IVA'd are of higher quality.

, will the resale values gradually start creeping up of well finished ones?

Building a Dax Rush.

theprisioner

posted on 7/3/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
There is an alternative, don't add it up (with no intention of doing so) and think of an acceptable number to quote and say "although I have not fully added it up yet".
eddie99

posted on 7/3/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Always the way, Unfortunately materials and parts are costing so much more these days...

The other day i compared our latest car build to a couple of years ago, and same items are costing nearly twice as much, especially raw materials.....

Building cars is becoming much more expensive!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
franky

posted on 7/3/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
Tough day today, i've just sat down and added up the final cost of the Mk Indy build. I knew it was going to be a bit more than normal as i'd chosen some higher spec parts but it was certainly more than i had ever initially estimated!

I could have bought a race ready CSR for the same budget. Or even a brand new AB performance Sabre!

Anybody else ever had days like this?! I daren't tell the missus - she'll kill me!!

Off to the pub to recover now....

How much did you spend!?

Or what did you fit to it to bring an MK near that cost? At least you can sleep happy knowings its worth about 50% of the build cost

ross05

posted on 7/3/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
The upgrades,just tell her bargains from ebay..and you needed them.
scudderfish

posted on 7/3/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
And did you add up the number of hours spent charged at a reasonable rate as well?
perksy

posted on 7/3/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Keep all the receipts in a nice folder, But never ever add them all up.......
TimC

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Or even a brand new AB performance Sabre!

You know what that is? "Ooooof."

Big numbers 'ombre.

Westy1994

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Tough day today, i've just sat down and added up the final cost of the Mk Indy build.

LOL, never , ever add up the final costings, I made that mistake years ago when adding up how much a competition car had cost to build, as you say I could have had a dam good road car for what it cost me.

Just enjoy driving it....and burn all the receipts incase 'someone' finds them one day...! LOL.

T66

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
If asked by the wife - the cost is between £9000 - £10000, the reality is .....

My good friend set me up a spreadsheet about 2 years ago, it immediately went to £9200 when I added a few bits n bobs, . then decided not to bother, about a year ago I added some more bits to it, and got scared at £12000.

Havent looked since, bit like deadlines, dont care how much it costs now Im in here, and dont care when I finish.

And yes ! - It would of been a thousand times easier to buy a IVA registered car and let someone else take the hit. But most of the guys here dont build cars for the driving thrill, its for the sake of building them surely ?

Once the little Fiat is done and sold to Poland, it will become an old V twin motorbike. This month alone I have spent £200, and I need to pay for the 4-1 collector next month, cars,boats,aeroplanes,foreign homes, they are all money pits....

Stop counting, if its a small box in the post its a tenner, if its a big box its £100 - thats all the wife needs to know, mine now doesnt ask (or care)

I am at a guess hovering around £13000 ish, and my garage still looks like the scrapheap challenge.....enjoy the frustration of building lol

Oh - And the £190 I spent on the loom last month.....

[Edited on 7/3/13 by T66]

plentywahalla

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
We had a couple of customers once who shared a boat. When discussing costs in front of the wives the agreement was we would always knock a nought off the end. That way if one of the respective wives still hit the panic button, they realised that it really was a bit too expensive.

Try it ... It worked for them.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

T66

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
We had a couple of customers once who shared a boat. When discussing costs in front of the wives the agreement was we would always knock a nought off the end. That way if one of the respective wives still hit the panic button, they realised that it really was a bit too expensive.

Try it ... It worked for them.

Guys at work are briefed never to mention what Ive spent, or my secret sock contents.....

TimC

posted on 7/3/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Guys at work are briefed never to mention what Ive spent, or my secret sock contents.....

Why bring that into the thread?

Confused but excited.

posted on 7/3/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just add up the hours of fun you have had + all you have learned = priceless.

I am only building a £250 Locost, except that after getting the petrol-head bug again, I have spent more than that on books.
By the time this is (if ever) finished it would have probably been cheaper to buy a Cateringvan, but no where near as much fun.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

snapper

posted on 7/3/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I started a spread sheet on an old PDA when I started
It gave up the ghost at £5K so I stopped counting as well

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Sloan85

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I was told I could be on the road for £8-9k. My spreadsheet is showing I'm up to £10.6k and estimate a final cost of £12.5k.
iank

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Remember not to include the 20% of the cost that seems to go on P&P!!

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RK

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
The cost of a kit car, in strictly monetary terms, is patently stupidly expensive. But how much time did you NOT go to the pub during your build? This is the true cost, and must be addressed when the Chief Financial Officer poses difficult questions.

I wouldn't mind so much if my car ever worked, but it never works properly and never will because I don't know what I'm doing. I am way over $35,000 Canadian pesos. It is truly the most expensive mistake I've ever made by a long ways.

T66

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Why bring that into the thread?

I never mentioned chod socks, Sir you have a filthy mind !

40inches

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Oh! S**t! I didn't think I had done bad, I only spent about £20 a week on average. Then I worked it out
I hate threads like this. I think I would still prefer MY own built MK to a Cateringvan, no really, honest!

RK

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, the build is the fun part. Driving has not been as much fun as I had hoped.
Mr C

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Much the same experience, the cost doesn't bear thinking about. I'm awaiting the IVA so not quite there yet, but have killed a battery and damged two tyres, lost a centre cap, need spigots, before even turning a wheel on the road. Total cost this week so far, £350. I'm not even going to mention the new engine I'm building for a little more power.

When people ask I just say £--ish. I could have bought a Noble etc etc..but as mentioned at least I've got something to show for my money rather than just a beer gut. Whilst I try not to have regrets, though in hindsight I would have done things differently.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

HappyFather

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spreadsheet where I register all my spendings, big and small. The running tally is always accurate with the contents of my bank, wallet and investments account. Thus, when I bought the kit, I made a special sheet for it to sum up those specific costs.

I bought all my kit in a box, at once, to spare me some grief getting parts and save on shipping. Right of the bat, I exceeded my budget on the main box.
Then it has been tools I didn't have (dremmel, torque wrench that I never used, protective equipment...), consumables (drill bits, oils, greases, ...), insurance...

I know how much it is, the wife knows how much it is (it's my money, she doesn't care), with the IVA and import it will still be a bit more...

But I don't care! I'm having loads of fun building it. I've learnt a lot about mechanics, my main goal. My kid loves the idea, the wife (petrolhead) is more eager than me for it to be on a track...
Sometimes, the best things in life aren't arriving somewhere, they are the ride getting there.

Be happy!
HappyFather

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.