Stack (too expensive?)
Other

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ETB vs RaceTechnology dash
rodgling

posted on 2/9/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
ETB vs RaceTechnology dash

Currently looking at fitting a digidash over the winter, interested to hear people's thoughts. I'm looking something that will do GPS, predictive lap timing, data-logging, etc, for under £1k (could maybe stretch a little bit on price).

Jeffw on here has good things to say about the RaceTech dash. On the other hand AB Performance, who've had experience installing both, had good feedback on the ETB dash and was pretty down on the Racetech dash in terms of reliability. In terms of features they look fairly well matched (or am I wrong?), ETB are better on price, Racetech has better looks... so am a little undecided.

Stack is possible but I think they're too expensive, AIM, Motec etc just seem like poor value.

Any opinions / experiences? How is readability in direct sunlight?

eddie99

posted on 2/9/13 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
IMO

We've had problems with race technology in the past, it needs to be carefully installed but once you have figured it all out i think its a really good bit of kit and haven't had any problems since. The data analysis and simulation is really good from a racing point of view and theres endless options. It is also quite customisable with their dashes.

On the other side of it, I have a digidash sat on the bench ready to install into a car, im told its slightly more reliable and simpler. It can't do half the features of the Race tech, but if you only want GPS, lap times and logging sensors then it does all those.

But i don't think the digidash looks as professional. And now i've spent some time properly using the race technology, i would stick with RT but thats from a racing point of view.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rodgling

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, the ETB does look a bit fischer-price. What are the big differences in features - I didn't spot any big ones?

What sorts of problems did you have? Was it just stuff to work through during the install process, or were there ongoing issues?

FuryRebuild

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I know this may be moving things a little off topic, but have you seen these HUDs?

I might be tempted ... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/dash-displays/auto-style-head-up-display-system

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

amalyos

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've used a Digidash Pro+ for 3 seasons racing, and never had any problems. I'm just getting to the point where I feel I may want to upgrade to a better system.
If your only doing trackdays, then I'd go with the Digidash, it's more than capable.

Steve

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

rodgling

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
It's for road, trackday and sprint/hillclimb/autotest use.

I'd rather do it properly the first time than need to upgrade later, plus extra gadgets I don't strictly need are always fun. Better to have too many features than not enough.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have the ETB unit and it was really easy to install and get working and is 100% reliable. I then use Harry's Lap Timer on my Iphone to do all the gPS stuff and saved a few pounds.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eddie99

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Agreed, the ETB does look a bit fischer-price. What are the big differences in features - I didn't spot any big ones?

What sorts of problems did you have? Was it just stuff to work through during the install process, or were there ongoing issues?

All the problems we had were RT sensors shaking themselves to bits in the bike engined install, On our Duratec Pulse, we've had no problems. The wiring needs to be installed very carefully, Ended up using the leads that RT offer with their sensors. And haven't had any problems since.

The software is more in-depth and more complex, well worth spending a day looking through all the software and getting to figure it all out. However call race technology and they are always very helpful on the phone and thats pretty valuable.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

jeffw

posted on 2/9/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
What you need (as discussed) is one of these bad boys

http://www.race-technology.com/dash2_pro_2_31358.html

Also the Dash2 Pro can link to a CAN interface which I assume your M3 ECU has(?)

v8kid

posted on 2/9/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
If your ECU supports OBD2 how would a Torque app and nexus 7 2013 compare? On the face of it it has all the functionality you require and at around £250 it is cheap.

I havn't tried it so there may be disadvantages but worth investigating I would think.

Anyone used it in anger on a racetrack?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 2/9/13 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Jeff - yup, that is the racetech option I'm considering. The m3 evo came out around the time ODBII was being standardised so that side of things is a bit ropey, I suspect wiring in sensors manually might be less painful. I guess Racetech may have more info on that though.

v8kid - interesting idea but not sure I fancy it. Wiring in sensors would be tricky and I doubt it would be very readable in sunlight. Plus it would get shaken to bits pretty quickly.

jeffw

posted on 2/9/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote

or

ummm

rodgling

posted on 2/9/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
No doubt the RT dash looks better. Doesn't mean it is better though...

One thing I noticed is that the RT doesn't have many data channels as standard (four, which you basically have to use up to cover oil temp / pressure, coolant temp and fuel level), so you can't log e.g. throttle position, brakes, steering angle for example.

Jeff, did you have to add more data channels with an add-on, or did you use an additional data logger? Or neither? Can't remember if your setup is based on the dash2 or dash2 pro?

eddie99

posted on 2/9/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
With the DL1, it has 10 analogue inputs.

I assumed you were talking about a Dash2 and DL1 to be honest.

jeffw

posted on 2/9/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a Dash2 with the ECU cable for an Omex. The ECU sees most of the sensors and hence the Dash does. I did have a DL1 datalogger on the car but I replaced that with a Video4 system. The DL1 has 8 data channels which can be used in addition to the standard 4 on the Dash2.

rodgling

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting, thanks for the comments all.

RT Dash2Pro seems quite good in terms of features. I especially like the ability to use the shift lights to show lap time compared to previous best (e.g. green for faster, red for slower), this would work well for me as I'd have it centrally mounted with my existing shift lights in my eye line (not enough space to see the dash behind my steering wheel). Ability to use existing sensors looks better than the ETB too.
Downside is that to get a sufficient number of data logging channels you need to spend on an add-on for 4 more channels, or ideally a separate data logger to get 8 more, I think they've under-spec'd the dash2pro here. It is also more expensive...

paublo999

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have had an older ETB Digidash 1 and moved to a dash 2 while Race Tech finished developing their Pro unit. My pro unit will be getting installed in the next few weeks.

Regarding the analogue channels. The majority of the key information will be passed over canbus from the ECU therefore reducing the reliance on analogue channels.

Sensor calibration can be troublesome, but if you go with their sensors or are willing to put the time in getting them calibrated within the software then it is a nice bit of kit.

The ETB unit is a great kitcar dash and their telephone support is excellent. All comes down to budget, functionality and the fact that you will want it to look like a MOTEC unit

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

rodgling

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, why did you move to the RT D2P and not the ETB DD2P? Presumably the ETB would have been much easier in terms of being more of a drop-in replacement, did the RT D2P have significant advantages for you?

True about the ECU add-on (if it works for me, not sure the BMW M3 evo ecu is supported) but as soon as you want even one channel that isn't provided by the ECU (e.g., brake position) you need to buy yet another add-on to get a spare analog channel.

paublo999

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
For me it was about the ability to process all of the canbus info directly from my mbe ecu including important digital channels such as throttle position etc plus the look of the unit itself.

I havent used the ETB software in some time, but the racetechnology software looked to be a decent step forward but have fellow racers using both products.

As I said, it will come down to how you want it to look and function as both can do the job. The key differentiator for me was canbus hooking directly in to the ecu. Which would pass throttle position etc with only a minimal requirement for analogue feeds.

I bought the very first pro 2 unit prior to them finalising these restrictions so in theory I have unlimited canbus and 8 analogue channels anyway but can see how 4 could be very restrictive.

Paul.

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

rodgling

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, 4 channels only covers water temp, oil temp & pressure and fuel level all of which are absolute must-haves. Ideally (there is no point doing all this if I'm not going to over-do it :-) ) I would also log at least brake pedal position, throttle position, steering angle, traction control events, and could no doubt easily find more stuff to log...

But as you say logging direct from ECU does make logging engine sensors very very easy, which is a nice benefit.

beaver34

posted on 3/9/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
i run a dash two, you can expand the channels its great easy to use if your using there sensors if not its a little harder, the support is good also from the team.

i run mine into the ecu for the sensor that use the 4 aux units for the others i need

rdodger

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I like my ETB. It's very clear on track and handy to have the warning's for low oil pressure etc. The information you want is right there at a glance. I don't think it would be as easy with the others to see what you want at a glance.

I haven't begun to use all the features and have most switched off. In time I will start to switch them on again.

The customer service form ETB is outstanding. I bought my Pro 2nd hand off ebay and still they have upgraded the software for free and answered all my questions and offered great advice. I really can't recommend them enough.

rodgling

posted on 8/9/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, people are saying both are good, but Racetech have the edge for me in terms of features and looks, though not price.

Need to find out if it can talk to an M3 Evo ecu.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.