Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front cycle wing came loose, Fixing advise please.
markmcc21

posted on 5/4/14 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Front cycle wing came loose, Fixing advise please.

Evening all, whilst out on a drive tonight i noticed my front left cycle wing came loose on the rear fitting. It was bobbing around luckily it didnt drag on the floor or rip right off. Its an MNR wrap around cycle wing which has no bolts or screws that secure it in place. From what iv seen (and not much due to it being really dark by the roadside!) the wings are attached by either some glue or sikaflex to the fixing beam that are bolted to the hub. Will take it off in the morning and have a good look. Has anyone experienced this before and has anyone got any fixing advise? Take it off, clean it up and use sikaflex? drill some holes and use allen head bolts?

Cheers.

(p.s. have posted this in mnr specific page too)

jossey

posted on 5/4/14 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Take off clean up with nail polish remover

Use some pu40 stuff same as Sikoflex but better. Then let it dry take it off n use fibreglass n resin. It will never ever come off then.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
markmcc21

posted on 5/4/14 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent thanks very much. Ill do the other side too so it dosnt happen again. How many layers of fibre glass are needed?
Davey D

posted on 6/4/14 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
i drilled through my cycle wings into the tubular wing mount, then screwed it in place. 2 front, 2 rear on each cycle wing
steve m

posted on 6/4/14 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
My front wings are araldite'd to the metal bar, and then fiberglass'd over bar and onto the inside of the mudguard

They were made in 1998, and ive never touched them since

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Wheels244

posted on 6/4/14 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
i drilled through my cycle wings into the tubular wing mount, then screwed it in place. 2 front, 2 rear on each cycle wing

+1

I used rivnuts - very handy for taking them off.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

snapper

posted on 6/4/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I bonded perforated metal with sikaflex to underside of arch after welding 2x threaded stud to it then bolted that through the stays
This means I can remove the wings if needed

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

markmcc21

posted on 6/4/14 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
3 options then, bond, screw or bond & screw! im not too bothered with visible screws on the wings so im going to drill a hole through the wing and into one side of the tube and put a self tapping screw through it. Ill either pop a little black hammerite on the screw head or use black reg plate screw caps. Since im going to be opening a tub of sikaflex to bond my vents i may aswell put a little on the underside of the wing for extra measure!
Cheers for the advice guys.

Irony

posted on 6/4/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
My front wings are araldite'd to the metal bar, and then fiberglass'd over bar and onto the inside of the mudguard

They were made in 1998, and ive never touched them since

Steve

Agree with the above. Trouble is one wing is now lower than the other and I can't get it off!

markmcc21

posted on 6/4/14 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hit a snag! didnt realise the wheels and calliper have to come off to get the support beam and cycle wing removed. All because the brake hose runs inbetween the beam and the wing. no jack means its going to be next week
markmcc21

posted on 6/4/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted! just used the misses Audi jack. All off and wheels put back on until i secure the wings properly, so i can still take it for a little drive if weathers nice. On another note, i did notice whilst on the road my right wing vibrated a little more than the left. last picture will explains why! Cheers for the advice guys.

jacko

posted on 6/4/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine had to put a middle stay on of the top of the strut to stop the wings wobbling about
his car is a MNR too with wrap around wings
Jacko

[Edited on 6/4/14 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 6/4/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I pop riveted a 6x4 piece of ali to the stays, roughed them up then stuck the wings on with PU40. That did the trick.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.