Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 Based Build Cost
micksalt

posted on 11/1/15 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
MX-5 Based Build Cost

Hi folks,

Rather than continuing in this thread, I thought this question would warrant its own thread. Has anyone recently completed a MNR Vortx Mazda build recently, and if so, can you give an estimate of how much it cost to put on the road? It's looking like I may need to add some wriggle room to my initial £10k budget.

Cheers,

Mick

adithorp

posted on 11/1/15 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think it should be possible if you're careful.

If you buy an rusty MX5 strip it, referb' the bits you need and sell the bits you don't... then you should get come out with your running gear for free. Use the for sale section on here, e-bay and your local breakers and it all keeps the price down. However if you buy everything from the MNR/RallyDesign/Europa then it'll all add up. Are you happy to use the MX5 brakes or will you be tempted by Wilwoods? Thats how budgets get broken.

Just remember, never admit to the real prices of everything to your other half.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

micksalt

posted on 11/1/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd even use the MX-5 brakes, that way, I will get to appreciate an upgrade later down the line. I'd rebuild the calipers as a bare minimum though.
mk85

posted on 11/1/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I got an mx5 two years ago as a quick cheap car when my passat died. Used it for the summer and sold it mid September and doubled my money but you can easily pick a decent one up for 400
ianhurley20

posted on 11/1/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about build cost total - yet - but my Mk 2 MX5 cost £360, then had to fetch it from Oxford, another £100 and take it apart selling the bits I didn't want. I didn't want to be stuck with them so I adopted a £25 for everything policy - door complete - £25 - etc. To date I have a free engine electrics, gearbox, prop shaft ecu steering column, brake parts etc and £481 in cash with still about £100 of bits to sell. At least all my costs have been covered and all the parts I wanted have worked out free.
Next I suppose will be coilovers £400, manifold £400, IVA £400 things to do you throw away after IVA - lots - don't think I really dare add it all up

[Edited on 11/1/15 by ianhurley20]

[Edited on 11/1/15 by ianhurley20]

micksalt

posted on 12/1/15 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers folks, I'll be scheduling a factory visit sometime this year to discuss the options. Just looks like I'll have to be careful, and make sure I make the most of the old MX-5 bits.

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp Just remember, never admit to the real prices of everything to your other half.

Of course

[Edited on 12/1/2015 by micksalt]

prawnabie

posted on 12/1/15 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
My Westfield MX5 stands me at just under 7k at the moment. I do work in the trade so was able to get everything new quite cheap. Scouring the for sale sections has also help a lot
rdodger

posted on 12/1/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used a mk2 1.8iS It was a LTD Edition with leather, body kit, hard top etc.

It was worth about 2k at the time. After breaking at and selling all the bits I was about £1000 in the black!

gaz_gaz

posted on 12/1/15 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
My Westfield MX5 stands me at just under 7k at the moment. I do work in the trade so was able to get everything new quite cheap. Scouring the for sale sections has also help a lot

I'm pretty sure the MNR started kit Is a bit dearer than the Westfield?

As I said in an earlier post, I just don't see it happening.
starter kit. iva and registration alone swallows half the budget.

but then again I have zero self control .

I'd love you to prove me wrong and male your dream a reality

micksalt

posted on 13/1/15 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
How much am I looking at then? Budget by the end of October will be £10-11k, but if I pick the donor up then, and spend a couple of months stripping, cleaning, painting and selling unwanted bits, the budget should be £12-13k.

Cheers,

Mick

gaz_gaz

posted on 13/1/15 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had a look and according to the MNR website.
They can supply "everything to assemble a complete car" for £7500 inclusive of VAT
To say I'm surprised is an understatement but I suppose it is possible with some money for extras even after IVA

micksalt

posted on 13/1/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, I think the £7,500 price is a hangover from the old website. The most recent price list I've been sent is £3995 (VAT included) for the MX-5 starter kit, £6999 for a 'just add MX-5' kit, £8999 for a complete kit and £10999 for a turn-key.

I would go for the 'just add MX-5 kit, so my budget goes somewhat like:

Kit: £6999
Full cage in CDS: £450
Sidebars: £325
MX-5 (runner): £1000
Unwanted MX-5 bits: -£500
Refurbishing donor parts: £600
IVA: £450
Retest: £90
Other paperwork: £460
Van hire to collect kit + diesel: £100

Total: £9974

It'll be basic, but a great base to start building upon and appreciating every upgrade along the way. Is there anything I've seriously overlooked?

Cheers,

Mick

rdodger

posted on 13/1/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds reasonable.

As stated earlier, you must resist all upgrades or it will quickly become £15,000!

Enjoy

prawnabie

posted on 13/1/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

I'm pretty sure the MNR started kit Is a bit dearer than the Westfield?

As I said in an earlier post, I just don't see it happening.
starter kit. iva and registration alone swallows half the budget.

but then again I have zero self control .

I'd love you to prove me wrong and male your dream a reality

Westfield do £1000 off the first 19 kits of the year cost me 2500 with some extras
Mx5 was 150
I bought lots of second hand Westfield only stuff but everything else is new

Iva fail today stood me at just under 7k

micksalt

posted on 14/1/15 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've just thought, it's probably worth popping on a Go-Race removable steering wheel boss and a nice steering wheel rather than having the steering shaft modified twice if I upgrade later. That'll just sneak me over the £10k mark, but shhhhhhh to her indoors

Cheers,

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.