Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iva emissions and donor dates
sdh2903

posted on 5/6/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Iva emissions and donor dates

Hi all. I've recently picked up a Mk1 mx5 to use as a donor for a vortx. It's a 1995 1.8 first registered 7th august 1995. So going by this I would need to meet the more stringent emissions regs.

However. Obviously the engine will have been produced prior to this and I know I'll need to get proof of engine age from mazda before I get to IVA. So my question is if my donor V5 says one date and engine age says an older date which one applies?

Slimy38

posted on 5/6/15 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
it's the engine date. Consider all those cars built up from several different cars, they will end up with a Q plate (so smoke test for MOT) but they still need to pass an IVA emissions test. The only date available to them is the engine date.

From memory, without a documented engine date they assume the latest regs.

[Edited on 5/6/15 by Slimy38]

gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/15 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
cars built using parts from other cars have an effective date for emissions of the January preceding the engine build date.
so aug 7th 1995 would be classed as 1 jan 95, which should give non cat test, 3.5%co and 1200ppm hc.

see iva manual and search effective date

sdh2903

posted on 5/6/15 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Got it cheers. I'd just bloody read that section and missed that paragraph! I'm happy now no cat required
kingster996

posted on 5/6/15 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Careful tho - during my emissions test recently, the examiner was looking puzzled at the 'puter saying "it's asking for a cat" - then said "what car did it come out of? Some cars around that time had cats".

I just shrugged and said no idea - and he then pressed a button and managed to proceed as a no cat test (as per my engine age letter from Mr Ford). If he had identified the car, I'm not sure what would have happened?

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

sdh2903

posted on 5/6/15 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Having re read the flow charts there is this statement:

"Manufacturer evidence of date of manufacture and not cat equipped when new"

So I guess it lies with whether the car had a cat or not from new. I'll have to have a look next week when I start pulling it to bits.

kingster996

posted on 5/6/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly what I thought - the examiner was asking for a particular car to see if that car used a cat, but as it was unknown, it then went in to the non-cat 'bracket'

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/15 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Having re read the flow charts there is this statement:

"Manufacturer evidence of date of manufacture and not cat equipped when new"

So I guess it lies with whether the car had a cat or not from new. I'll have to have a look next week when I start pulling it to bits.
but following the flowcharts, you never get to that question, since a self build car will not be an exact match to any of the vehicles in the 'in service emissions book' or analyser databases.

gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-18th-edition

hers a link to the current edition, note aug last year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-18th-edition

[Edited on 5/6/15 by gremlin1234]

sdh2903

posted on 5/6/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but at the point of iva, I present my car using a single donor vehicle in this case a 1.8 mx5 first registered 7/8/95. So going by the flow charts it takes me to the question.

"Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions Book?"

So if mister IVA man looks up a 1995 mazda mx5 and finds the limits to be lower and was fitted with a cat I'd fail the emissions test.

If he can't find the limits I'd go to a non cat test. It all depends on whether they use the donor as the reference point for emissions levels.

gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/15 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
but if it were an exact match, you would not be doing the iva test.

what does the current v5 say for emissions?
also, I linked to the current list, if your car isn't in that list then no problem either way.

but good to be checking it at this point!

your other option of course is to fit a cat ;-)

sdh2903

posted on 5/6/15 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't got the v5 back yet.
gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/15 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
short answer is just use all the bits from the car, then ecu etc will all be happy. obviously replace any service items like sensors, and perhaps cat - if there were one, but just use the original setup.
chillis

posted on 5/6/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes but at the point of iva, I present my car using a single donor vehicle in this case a 1.8 mx5 first registered 7/8/95. So going by the flow charts it takes me to the question.

"Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions Book?"

So if mister IVA man looks up a 1995 mazda mx5 and finds the limits to be lower and was fitted with a cat I'd fail the emissions test.

If he can't find the limits I'd go to a non cat test. It all depends on whether they use the donor as the reference point for emissions levels.

If you had to IVA an MX 5 for some reason then there is an exact match and you would need to have a cat but then the MX5 has a cat so no problem
When IVA ing your kit the IVA man looks to see if your kit is listed in the In-service Emissions book which it wont be - so he has to follow the flow charts which should take him to non cat.
Its not about the donor vehicle, just the age of the engine.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

The Black Flash

posted on 18/6/15 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
quote:

If you had to IVA an MX 5 for some reason then there is an exact match and you would need to have a cat but then the MX5 has a cat so no problem
When IVA ing your kit the IVA man looks to see if your kit is listed in the In-service Emissions book which it wont be - so he has to follow the flow charts which should take him to non cat.
Its not about the donor vehicle, just the age of the engine.

^^^ this. It confused me, but the "exact match" is on the car, not the engine, so they should never get to that part in the flowchart.
At least that's what my IVA inspectors (eventually) did; but tbh they did all seem rather confused by the whole thing.

alfas

posted on 20/6/15 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

did your donor had a cat fitted? i guess yes?

do you use the ecu, igntioin and injection system from the donor?

[Edited on 20/6/15 by alfas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.