Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TPS from bikes and cars!
PaulM

posted on 23/10/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
TPS from bikes and cars!

Hi

I have throttle bodies (with injectors removed) from a bike setup which I think are Yamaha, fitted to a 2.0 Zetec. The TPS is the bike one fitted in the normal place for these TB's. My problem is twofold though. Can I just connect the wiring normally suited to a Ford TPS to the Yamaha one? I need the correct plug, but will source that only if it is likely to be compatible. Surely it is just a potentiometer of a different shape/size to fit the TB's? Someone has dotted the connectors at some point to work out the connections.

r1_pete

posted on 23/10/15 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Are you using a programmable ECU, if so all you need to do is re calibrate the TPS once you've wired it in.

If your ECU is not programmable you will need to check the resistance and scale is the same.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 23/10/15 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
It depends what ECU you are running [Megasquirt I think?] If so the bike TPS will work fine and can be calibrated in the MS tuning software.
PaulM

posted on 23/10/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent... yeah it is Megasquirt so I'll try and track down the correct plug for the bike TPS and then work out how to calibrate it. Thanks
furryeggs

posted on 23/10/15 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you take a pic end on I might have a injector loom with tps plug and everything else. I bought one for my R6 tb's and they sent the wrong one, think its off an R1.
19sac65

posted on 24/10/15 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I needed one too and after digging around found out that it was the same as some 80's/90's honda cars - civics etc
Oddified

posted on 24/10/15 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Also the same as used on most Suzuki gsxr TB's, certainly 750 and 1000's that i've used.

Ian

PaulM

posted on 24/10/15 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent pointers here guys, thanks.... here's some close ups of the bike TPS that hopefully one of you will recognise so I can source a plug! Thanks

furryeggs

posted on 24/10/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The plug i have is a triangular pattern
stevebubs

posted on 24/10/15 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
In the meantime, some smaller spade connectors work a treat...
PaulM

posted on 25/10/15 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Result!

A mate I haven't spoken to in a while came good on Facebook and confirmed....
a) it's a Suzuki one as Yamaha are the three pin triangular shape
b) the black and grey ones are secondary TPS on a Suzuki and the all grey versions are primary TPS (still not quite sure what that means but on some bodies he had, he showed me them mounted)
c) after a quick trip round to his place this morning, not only did he have a stack of looms that he chopped a plug off for me, he also had a stack of throttle body sets that he just unscrewed a couple of 'spares' from for me!

....why the hell I didn't think of asking him in teh first place is beyond me.....he raced a F2 sidecar in the TT for the last few years!

Now to hook it all up nice and neat, calibrate and hopefully get it running nice and smooth!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.