Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Biggest possible radiator in a Vortx? 52x46cm?
ElmrPhD

posted on 9/12/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest possible radiator in a Vortx? 52x46cm?

My (now, former) supplier, whom I loath, supplied me with a 52cm tall x 46 cm wide rad'. I guess it's a "cross-flow" as the tanks are on the side and the tubes run horizontally. In order to fit it (if it will fit), I'll need to cut out nearly all of the lower vertical edge of the nose-cone and even several mm on each vertical edge. I don't mind that so much if I can squeeze it in, but I'd hate to cut up my nose-cone only to find that the top corners still won't clear.

Has anybody wedged in such a beast or have an idea of what's possible?

Thanks for any tips.

Steve, in the NLs

big-vee-twin

posted on 9/12/15 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mines mounted at an angle which directs the warm air off the back downwards to the road, I have used a SEAT Leon rad which is quite big.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

sdh2903

posted on 10/12/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be less hassle to go for something like this? And flog on the one you have. They also do a 55mm thick version if you don't need one 70mm thick.

VW POLO DERIVED WESTFIELD & OTHER KIT CAR, 70MM ALUMINIUM RACE RADIATOR UK MADE.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/12/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted one of those to my striker excellent bit of kit and reduced my temps by 10 degs
sdh2903

posted on 10/12/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Which did you go for? I'm about to order one for my mx5 vortx. I think the 55mm will be plenty?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/12/15 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I got the 55mm one its one of the best purchases I have made dropped temps from marginal to 85 to 90 deg on track .

[Edited on 11/12/15 by ian locostzx9rc2]

[Edited on 12/12/15 by ian locostzx9rc2]

ElmrPhD

posted on 11/12/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Mines mounted at an angle which directs the warm air off the back downwards to the road, I have used a SEAT Leon rad which is quite big.

Thanks for the tip. Tried that with my cardboard template, but the (at least the unique MNR) nose does not care what angle this huge radiator is at - it just won't quite fit in there.

Thanks, again,
Steve

ElmrPhD

posted on 11/12/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Would it not be less hassle to go for something like this? And flog on the one you have. They also do a 55mm thick version if you don't need one 70mm thick.

VW POLO DERIVED WESTFIELD & OTHER KIT CAR, 70MM ALUMINIUM RACE RADIATOR UK MADE.

Of course, you are right and I may end up doing exactly that, especially since I took the effort to make a template which proved I must find an alternative.

Anybody want a really nice, unused 52cm tall x 46 mm wide ally race rad'???

The ebay radiator looks like what I'm after except that I wish it were a bit taller to better fit my big, new fan...

Thanks a bunch!!!

Steve

ElmrPhD

posted on 11/12/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
So, I went with a €28 (incl. tax) VW2038. Incredibly cheap, alloy core with plastic tanks, and I've read only good things about them.
To be honest, I don't understand why the need to produce an all-alloy race version, unless there have been a bunch of joint/bonding failures between the plastic and ally. But the chatter on these forums suggest they hold up well. Oh, one thing is that this is merely a 34mm deep core, whereas the "race" versions CAN be deeper. We'll see what happens.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Steve, in the NLs

quote:
Originally posted by ElmrPhD
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Of course, you are right and I may end up doing exactly that, especially since I took the effort to make a template which proved I must find an alternative.

Anybody want a really nice, unused 52cm tall x 46 mm wide ally race rad'???

The ebay radiator looks like what I'm after except that I wish it were a bit taller to better fit my big, new fan...

Thanks a bunch!!!

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.