Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pop rivets
dave69isit

posted on 24/1/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
pop rivets

what has every one used /stainless ally / what size is best poprivets to use on ally
Andybarbet

posted on 24/1/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Im using Stainless rivets but my panels are stainless. (a lot harder to pop so invested in a better rivet gun)

If your using ali panels i would go for ali rivets just so theres less chance of dissimilar metal corrotion.

Correct me if im wrong ? and apologies for spelling !

Oh, and im using 4mm pop rivets as i got em for free :-)

[Edited on 24/1/05 by Andybarbet]

DaveFJ

posted on 24/1/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you can, try to use structural type rivets. they are far batter than standard pop rivets and last a lot longer - they do cost quite a bit more.

try suffolk fastners here : linky

If you are joing steel to steel then i would go for steel rivets. If not then go for ally. If you can get hold of some decent jointing compound to put on each rivet before you set it then all the better.

I have used a combination of 3.2mm and 4.8mm rivets (some dome some countersunk) on my car with a fairly close pitch between rivets (25mm) - 4.8mm for floor and a couple of other panels, most interior panels with 3.2mm.

I have also bonded all panels on with PU adhesive.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

andylancaster3000

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Everybody seems to have used 'PU Adhesive'. Is it ok to use Arildite? On a previous car build we rivited and bonded the chassis with Arildite, which come's in two tubes (resin and hardener) which are held together. These two tubes are then put in a trigger type dispenser which mixes the two parts as it dispenses it I.e. No mixing the two parts by hand! Is PU adhesive cheaper than Arildite?

Cheers,
Andy

flak monkey

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
PU adhesive is flexible. Araldite is far from flexible...some may even say its brittle .

PU adhesive is not cheap, do a search for Sikaflex on google. Think its about £8 for a tube.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

andylancaster3000

posted on 24/1/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
If it is flexable then surely it isn't as structuraly strong? Is it used to give any more strngth on top the rivets give. I would agree that it Arildite may have less 'give' in it but don't know whether it would be brittle? Is there enough movement between panels and chassis members to break the bond with arildite?

Andy

NS Dev

posted on 24/1/05 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have used araldite if it wasn't so expensive (more so than PU), don't worry, the araldite will help chassis stiffness.
wilkingj

posted on 24/1/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
PU adhesive is not cheap, do a search for Sikaflex on google. Think its about £8 for a tube.
David

Phew! £8 a tube, I use Grey Stripe Seam Sealer or simmilar, Its the proper stuff, for sealing panels. and about £5 a litre tin.

overpaintable, and seems to work fine, just brush it on with a small brush.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 24/1/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Grey stripe is for SEALING panels (as in waterproofing them), but not gluing them on with a really strong bond.

The proper PU adhesive is MUCH stronger than seam sealer. I tested some on a couple of ally sample strips. 1" square contact areas of PU adhesive are almost impossible to pull apart using manual effort and a vice!! More flexible than araldite but not as resistant to peel.

David Jenkins

posted on 25/1/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
A quick Google gave me this site:

PU-Goo

£3.69 + P&P is as cheap as you'll get. (but there'll always be one smart-arse who can get it cheaper!).

It is amazingly strong - I had to remove my rear panel that I'd fixed with liberal PU application and rivets - I had to tear the ali off with pliers.

One warning - don't open a tube until you need it, as it will start to go off from that time on. It will probably be solid after a week!

David

[Edited on 25/1/05 by David Jenkins]

DaveFJ

posted on 25/1/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I used the stuff that dave j has linked to - excellent, bought 3 tubes and reckon they will bond all panels and do all the sealing I need, bargain

Dave

RazMan

posted on 25/1/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex can be used on its own to bond panels to chassis - some trucks are held together with this stuff!

I used both rivets and Sikaflex on my car for a couple of reasons - waterproofing and sound deadening. The rivets also make sure that the panels are flush while the goo sets too.

Three tubes did the whole job - and that is double skinned with sound proofing in between.

Tip - To stop it going solid in the tube, try capping the nozzle with a Biro cap - it stays soft for weeks.

[Edited on 25/1/05 by RazMan]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 26/1/05 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I used both rivets and Sikaflex on my car for a couple of reasons - waterproofing and sound deadening.

Rivets are renowned for their waterproofing and sound deadening properties.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

blueshift

posted on 26/1/05 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
If PU adhesive is that great, has anyone considered sticking side panels on using just PU and no rivets? I suppose you'd clamp it up with some long bits of wood round the sides while it set. Could give a nicer finish.
DaveFJ

posted on 26/1/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
There was some talk a while back about someone bonding the floor panels in place.

BTW this is a piccy of the rivets i have been using, sorry it's a bit out of focus.
the yellow stuff in the second piccy is the jointing compound before I cleaned off the excess.....

rivetc closeup
rivetc closeup

rivets
rivets

Dave

RazMan

posted on 26/1/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty

Rivets are renowned for their waterproofing and sound deadening properties.

Erm... what I meant was strength, waterproofing and sound deadening.

Aww heck that's three reasons

irvined

posted on 28/1/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW,

I've used 'sealed' 4mm rivets, their strong, don't leak and not much more expensive.

nicklondon

posted on 29/1/05 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
P U is used to bond most windscreens into vehicles and its the only fixing! one common example is a M A N TGA truck screen.For a good bond the correct primers must be used.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.