Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Frugal fuel sipper
Benzine

posted on 13/9/22 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Frugal fuel sipper

Imagine the scene...It's 2022, you've got 3k to buy something that's going to be economical as possible. It can be up to 10 years old and needs to be 4 door and small, but not too small. E.g. Fiat 500? No. Skoda Fabia? Yes. Petrol or diesel, not fussed.

Anyone got any good shouts? Citroen C3 Airdream 1.6 got a mention in one of the last PPC mags (RIP)

Edit: said Fiat 400 instead of 500

[Edited on 14-9-2022 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 14/9/22 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
my 10 y/o merc 220D has averaged 64mpg over the last 45,000 miles. More expensive fuel made me change my driving style and now it regularly does more than 70mpg.

Not a small car - but not massive.
Description
Description

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

coyoteboy

posted on 14/9/22 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Peugeot 1.6 diesels almost always come in the top few for economy.

My old 306 HDi would happily get 55-60mpg on a run in 2001.

Petrol will always be lower fuel economy but may work out cheaper overall these days.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/9/22 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
The most frugal cars I've ever run (both in fuel and the ability to do galactic mileage without complaint) has been the Corsa C's, both petrol and diesel - but not my partner's current 2005 1.8SRi!.....
OK, so they're now too old for you, BUT, I'm sure the more recent one's can only be better. I'll have to wait a bit before they drop to only a few hundred quid, for my pocket, but your budget should pick up quite a fresh car.

nick205

posted on 14/9/22 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Peugeot 1.6 diesels almost always come in the top few for economy.

My old 306 HDi would happily get 55-60mpg on a run in 2001.

Petrol will always be lower fuel economy but may work out cheaper overall these days.

I switched to a Pug 106 diesel in the early 2000's in a bit to save money (saving for a house deposit). It was very economical, regularly saw 55-60+ mpg when driving steady. Self serviced/maintained (again to keep costs down), which also helped. Service parts are cheap and widely available. Tyres were small, thin and therefore not expensive (plus driving steady doesn't wear them out too fast).

When first married and with kids we had a 306 2.0 HDI. Again economical to run in fuel and servicing.

Both were reliable as well.

You'll know this stuff already I'm sure, but:

1. Remove anything (weight) you don't acutally need from the vehicle.
2. Keep the tyres inflated to the correct pressures and check regurlarly.
3. Walk a bit more (e.g. corner shop). Reduces wear and tear and saves a supricing amount of fuel.

[Edited on 14/9/22 by nick205]

Benzine

posted on 14/9/22 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the ideas everyone, keep them coming. I drive a 2.0 diesel Yeti at the moment. Which averages 44mpg. If I use hypermiling techniques I can regularly get 60mpg, or even higher. No corner shop, or any shop in my village but the next town is cycling distance which I will start doing more!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 14/9/22 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 diesel Yeti is pretty much a VW Golf underneath I believe.

I drove a 2.0 diesel VW Passat for a while (57 plate). Averaged 50mpg most of the time and close to 60mpg if I put some hypermiling effort in. Liked the car, but it was massive and most of the time just me in it. Serviced and maintained it myself to keep the running costs down.

Currently epilepsy means no driving so it's walking, public transport and the odd lift at the moment. Takes a bit more planning, but regular journeys really aren't too hard.

Mike Wood

posted on 14/9/22 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
How long do you need to keep it and how many miles? Probably need something super reliable that will go on for ever that sips fuel over something that has maximum fuel economy and high repair bills.

What about Euro NCAP and your ability to drive Low Emission Zones?

Honda Jazz petrol too small? Any Fiestas in budget well made enough to last?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 14/9/22 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 14/9/22 by Mike Wood]

Benzine

posted on 14/9/22 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood
How long do you need to keep it and how many miles? Probably need something super reliable that will go on for ever that sips fuel over something that has maximum fuel economy and high repair bills.

What about Euro NCAP and your ability to drive Low Emission Zones?

Honda Jazz petrol too small? /quote]

Would probably be keeping it a year or two. No emissions zones to worry about as I'm in the sticks and the local city doesn't have any. I've had a jazz before and it would be a bit too small. It was a good car though, apart from the semi auto gearbox that drove me insane!

Mike Wood

posted on 14/9/22 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
What about a 2.2 diesel Honda Civic, such as: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208259127211?postcode=ng138aa&include-delivery-option=on&sort=price-desc&price-to=3000&one searchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&transmission=Manual&radius=60&model=Civi c&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Honda&year-to=2022&page=2 ?
MikeR

posted on 15/9/22 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
My wife's 1.5 diesel qashqai gets very good milage. It's a brick and 60mpg fully loaded is a regular occurrence on a run. The engine has a reputation for being reliable (I believe).

If look for that engine in less brick based car.

nick205

posted on 15/9/22 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Besides reliability and repair bills, it's also worth keeping in mind:

1. Most insurers charge a sneaky "early exit fee" or "admin fee" if you want to change cars.
2. Selling a car can incur costs - advertisin it in Autotrader, local paper etc. (plus the time wasters and tyre kickers)

Sometimes keeping what you have may work out cheaper overall. Unless what you're changing to brings really signifcant savings.

(Just some thoughts)

coyoteboy

posted on 15/9/22 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
IF you're into a world of 50-60mpg with good driving technique, you'll spend more replacing it than you'll save unless you keep it for a decade.

gremlin1234

posted on 15/9/22 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
try to get a pre april 2017 car, with co2 of under 120g/Km
this will get low road tax. £30/year or less.

Benzine

posted on 15/9/22 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
IF you're into a world of 50-60mpg with good driving technique, you'll spend more replacing it than you'll save unless you keep it for a decade.

That's only for local trips on incredibley quiet roads where I can drive at 40mph or ong trips on motorways. For most of my driving I can't drive like that as I'll be a total pain to other drivers. Yeti is just too thirsty unfortunately. I mean it's not compared to my parents Discovery, but for me it is atm.

nick205

posted on 15/9/22 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

That's only for local trips on incredibley quiet roads where I can drive at 40mph or ong trips on motorways. For most of my driving I can't drive like that as I'll be a total pain to other drivers. Yeti is just too thirsty unfortunately. I mean it's not compared to my parents Discovery, but for me it is atm.

Fair comment "Benzine", hypermiling techniques work on long distances and some roads. For many everyday drives they don't though.

"gremlin1234" has a good point about looking to get your road tax band down as low as possible. Paying £30 instead of £165 a year will make a big difference.

Benzine

posted on 15/9/22 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

"gremlin1234" has a good point about looking to get your road tax band down as low as possible. Paying £30 instead of £165 a year will make a big difference.

That's true, £220 for me at the moment. Zero or 30 quid will be a lot more useful than buying a new kettle.

nick205

posted on 15/9/22 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

That's true, £220 for me at the moment. Zero or 30 quid will be a lot more useful than buying a new kettle.

Very true!

If you can get it down to Zero then it's got to be worth a pint or two to celebrate

Sanzomat

posted on 15/9/22 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Very true!

If you can get it down to Zero then it's got to be worth a pint or two to celebrate

Got to agree on that point. I got a Dec 2016 Focus estate with the 1.5tdci. Zero road tax. When the reminder came to renew I actually got quite a thrill going online to buy a years road tax for £zero! Sad I know. I bought it just under 2 years ago just before the covid 2nd hand car price sillyness. It was from a small dealer who'd bought at auction direct from a lease firm. 4yrs old/68k miles and just had a full service. When they got it back they found it had some poorly resprayed light accident damage so didn't want to put it on their forecourt so chucked it on ebay for what they'd paid. It was well below the market rate & came with a clear HPI check and 6 months warranty. I get around 46mpg in mostly shortish trips and occasional trailer pulling with the Locost behind. Gets 60mpg on a long run. Maybe a bit above your 3k price point but look out for a tatty one that's mechanically good?

nick205

posted on 16/9/22 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
quote:
quote:
quote:

Very true!

Got to agree on that point. I got a Dec 2016 Focus estate with the 1.5tdci. Zero road tax. When the reminder came to renew I actually got quite a thrill going online to buy a years road tax for £zero! Sad I know. I bought it just under 2 years ago just before the covid 2nd hand car price sillyness. It was from a small dealer who'd bought at auction direct from a lease firm. 4yrs old/68k miles and just had a full service. When they got it back they found it had some poorly resprayed light accident damage so didn't want to put it on their forecourt so chucked it on ebay for what they'd paid. It was well below the market rate & came with a clear HPI check and 6 months warranty. I get around 46mpg in mostly shortish trips and occasional trailer pulling with the Locost behind. Gets 60mpg on a long run. Maybe a bit above your 3k price point but look out for a tatty one that's mechanically good?

Nothing sad about getting a thrill paying Zero for your road tax "Sanzomat" - I think those of us that pay more would share your thrill!

Having just had to pay SWMBOS at £165, I'd be more than happy to have paid £Zero.

Makes me happy to be walking at times

hobbsy

posted on 19/9/22 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
my 10 y/o merc 220D has averaged 64mpg over the last 45,000 miles. More expensive fuel made me change my driving style and now it regularly does more than 70mpg.

Description
Description

Is this an auto as well? A friend used to get about 50 out of the 3 litre diesel auto which also seems superb. Dropping down to 60/65mph I suspect

HowardB

posted on 19/9/22 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
quote:

Description
Description

Is this an auto as well? A friend used to get about 50 out of the 3 litre diesel auto which also seems superb. Dropping down to 60/65mph I suspect

no it''s manual,.. increasingly rare in the Merc range too,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

hobbsy

posted on 19/9/22 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
quote:

Description
Description

no it''s manual,.. increasingly rare in the Merc range too,...

4 pedals!

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/9/22 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh for me it's the usual suspects, Fiesta, Corsa as they are well designed and very plentiful. I'd only buy a petrol as the service cost for diesel will hack into your fuel savings. I prefer something with small wheels for cheap tires and a base model for simplicity so there's as little to go wrong as possible.

I have now opted to go back to working from home, only coming in one morning a week for a team meeting and so saving myself about £2000 a year on fuel plus a lot less wear & tear on the car

James

posted on 21/9/22 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Think my missus 2006 plate Fiesta 1.3 diesel gave about 55mpg. But her journey to work was mostly motorway that she did at 60mph or something.

The 1.1turbo Focus petrol she replaced it with gave about 45mpg. Was ridiculously quick for such a small engine.

Unfortunately, having spawned a 3rd time we've had to buy a heavy Ford S-Max diesel which gives nowhere near the above figures.

I drive 9miles to work each day and it takes nearly an hour through the traffic. I've cycled it more quickly but then have to shower at work etc! I'm considering an electric scooter as most of the journey is along the canal towpath!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.